LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 249 users in the forums

Justin Fields and his Steelers

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Fields has the second lowest completion percentage in the league at 55.6%. He's 27th in QBR. The only thing he does well is run. He has one decent game and people start jerking off over the guy. Is Lance better? We don't know yet. Let's wait until he's had a season to show what he can do.

Obviously, you don't watch much Bears football... and honestly I don't blame you. It's easy to stat hunt to judge a quarterback, let math and other people's metrics do the work for you. But if you watch the games you'll have seen significant improvement in Fields' game which aren't always reflected in the box score.

All I can tell you is that he's adjusting in what is really his first year in the NFL. He has a terrible offensive line and group of receivers and an offensive coordinator who is just now starting to vibe with him. They changed his footwork this year, and he's mentioned his struggles with timing his feet at the end of his drops.

I'll excuse your ignorance because you're not a Bears fan and I don't expect anyone to know these little details. It seems to me that 49er fans are a little upset that Fields has shown great promise, while Lance is stuck at the starting gate. To go out of your way to ignore all the details that goes into playing quarterback to reinforce the narrative that, "Haha fields suxxx", is petty and a little immature.

DabeegDeek, a poster who's routinely made ridiculous statements about Trey Lance (he's soft, he's a goofball, he has scared look in his eye… blah blah blah) has the audacity to call someone else, petty and immature.

Catchmaster never said Fields sucks, another projection on your part.

You give Fields all the excuses in the world but don't acknowledge any of Lance's legitimate excuses.

This is a textbook example of narcissism boys and girls. Wow.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by JTB1974:
Apparently Justin Fields asked for more runs. Kyle would be like "bet"

If that is true, it is alarming. It says he has either no confidence in his ability to pass the ball or no confidence in any of his receivers. Maybe abit of both.

He wanted to win and wanted the handcuffs taken off.

They were winning physically at the line. I don't see why they wouldn't run more.
Fields has the second lowest completion percentage in the league at 55.6%. He's 27th in QBR. The only thing he does well is run. He has one decent game and people start jerking off over the guy. Is Lance better? We don't know yet. Let's wait until he's had a season to show what he can do.

Obviously, you don't watch much Bears football... and honestly I don't blame you. It's easy to stat hunt to judge a quarterback, let math and other people's metrics do the work for you. But if you watch the games you'll have seen significant improvement in Fields' game which aren't always reflected in the box score.

All I can tell you is that he's adjusting in what is really his first year in the NFL. He has a terrible offensive line and group of receivers and an offensive coordinator who is just now starting to vibe with him. They changed his footwork this year, and he's mentioned his struggles with timing his feet at the end of his drops.

I'll excuse your ignorance because you're not a Bears fan and I don't expect anyone to know these little details. It seems to me that 49er fans are a little upset that Fields has shown great promise, while Lance is stuck at the starting gate. To go out of your way to ignore all the details that goes into playing quarterback to reinforce the narrative that, "Haha fields suxxx", is petty and a little immature.
Great promise
Originally posted by Waterbear:

DabeegDeek, a poster who's routinely made ridiculous statements about Trey Lance (he's soft, he's a goofball, he has scared look in his eye… blah blah blah) has the audacity to call someone else, petty and immature.

Catchmaster never said Fields sucks, another projection on your part.

You give Fields all the excuses in the world but don't acknowledge any of Lance's legitimate excuses.

This is a textbook example of narcissism boys and girls. Wow.

Lol this
Jimmy fans now all Fields fans actually makes sence. The love for s**t QB play is obvious.
[ Edited by Strwy2Hevn on Oct 26, 2022 at 5:47 AM ]
Man, a lot of you guys sure are bitter. He's not in our division, has nothing to do with our team and is apparently the worst quarterback in the NFL. Why are you all so upset then? Seems to me you're to starting to understand how good this dude can be...

Better hope Lapdance Lance comes back ready to go, because I wouldn't be surprised if we picked up Mac Jones. Wouldn't that be some s**t?
I think Fields has been improving and is the second best QB so far of the 2021 draft. He is not throwing for high passing yards but he also adds for 75-100 yards rushing per game. Add his pedestrian 200 yards per game passing plus 75-100 yards rushing that is 300 yards almost of total yards. Honestly, this guy has the worst starting WRs and TEs in the NFL and it isn't close. I think he would have had more success on our team with all our weapons.

I just don't get why if Shannahan wanted a running QB why he didn't go with the more polished guy in Fields.

Also Fields isn't injury prone. He has taken way more hits than almost any other QB and gets right up each time. That was apparent he was tough when he was at Ohio State.
[ Edited by 49ers_Life on Oct 26, 2022 at 7:29 AM ]
Originally posted by 49ers_Life:
I think Fields has been improving and is the second best QB so far of the 2021 draft. He is not throwing for high passing yards but he also adds for 75-100 yards rushing per game. Add his pedestrian 200 yards per game passing plus 75-100 yards rushing that is 300 yards almost of total yards. Honestly, this guy has the worst starting WRs and TEs in the NFL and it isn't close. I think he would have had more success on our team with all our weapons.

I just don't get why if Shannahan wanted a running QB why he didn't go with the more polished guy in Fields.

Also Fields isn't injury prone. He has taken way more hits than almost any other QB and gets right up each time. That was apparent he was tough when he was at Ohio State.

Pass protection for him has been awful, too. When he does try to stay in pocket he gets hammered, and it got to the point where when he did have time he was expecting to get hit and froze. But he's been much better lately and Getsy realizes the line can't protect him, so they've been rolling him out more and running him... and it's working.

Eventually, he'll be able to develop into a high level quarterback, but it won't be this year. He'll need someone better than Darnell Mooney, a number 3 on most NFL teams, as his primary target.

I'm just looking for subtle improvements throughout the weeks and eventually him looking comfortable enough back there to consistently dissect defenses. The Bears have a s**t roster, but Eberflus has had them competing in every game until late in the 4th quarter. Says a lot about him and his faith in Fields.

With 100 mil in dead cap they have a shot to be real contenders next year.
Man, a lot of you guys sure are bitter. He's not in our division, has nothing to do with our team and is apparently the worst quarterback in the NFL. Why are you all so upset then? Seems to me you're to starting to understand how good this dude can be...

Better hope Lapdance Lance comes back ready to go, because I wouldn't be surprised if we picked up Mac Jones. Wouldn't that be some s**t?

I nevewr said Fields sucks but he's not anywhere near a top NFL QB. To be fair he doesn't have a lot of weapons but he's still too willing to run first. Maybe if he had better weapons he would stay in the pocket longer. The point is you can't compare Fields who had a full year at OSU against top competition and now has 14 or 15 starts to Lance. Most of us including Kyle knew that Lance was green and would need at least a year on the field to develop. As green as he is, he may need 3 years to reach his full potential.

If he doesn't work then it's a big setback for the team but they saw enough raw talent to take a chance. Fortunes have been made by people that took a chance.

I nevewr said Fields sucks but he's not anywhere near a top NFL QB. To be fair he doesn't have a lot of weapons but he's still too willing to run first. Maybe if he had better weapons he would stay in the pocket longer. The point is you can't compare Fields who had a full year at OSU against top competition and now has 14 or 15 starts to Lance. Most of us including Kyle knew that Lance was green and would need at least a year on the field to develop. As green as he is, he may need 3 years to reach his full potential.

If he doesn't work then it's a big setback for the team but they saw enough raw talent to take a chance. Fortunes have been made by people that took a chance.

Best ability is availability one has it the other doesn't.

He's improving because he is playing. The same would happen with Trey. You get better with more reps,Who would have thought. Though when Trey plays his 20th game I would hope he is further along than where Fields is right now.
[ Edited by JTB1974 on Oct 26, 2022 at 10:58 AM ]

So you're writing Trey off because a lineman fell on his ankle and broke a bone?

So you're writing Trey off because a lineman fell on his ankle and broke a bone?

No but Trey was gonna get hurt regardless of that happening with his running style. You can crap on Fields for plenty of s**t but he hasn't missed a single game accept for when he had Covid. That's cause he who you said runs to much even though it's completely in line with Lamar Jackson but Fields knows how to protect himself. He slides or gets out of bounds. Lance has gotten hurt on average in 2 games as a starter.l both years. That's not encouraging at all.

No but Trey was gonna get hurt regardless of that happening with his running style. You can crap on Fields for plenty of s**t but he hasn't missed a single game accept for when he had Covid. That's cause he who you said runs to much even though it's completely in line with Lamar Jackson but Fields knows how to protect himself. He slides or gets out of bounds. Lance has gotten hurt on average in 2 games as a starter.l both years. That's not encouraging at all.

Ehh.. I disagree with that. Fields has taken some MONSTER hits... I'm actually shocked he hasn't been injured. He's just now learning to slide.
Share 49ersWebzone