There are 258 users in the forums

RB Trey Sermon

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
We cut jamychal to keep trey. Jamychal is way better. Then we cut serman next day. Huh? Makes no sense.why do we do stuff like this.

The reason why things seem this way to you is because you are viewing things thru the wrong side of the binoculars.

Everything has a pecking order. Especially once you are down to the last 5 or so spots on your team (e.g., 49-53).

Once you are in that range with a talented roster, then position be damned. You just want guys that you feel can eventually contribute to the team and you'd like to keep away from other teams possibly stealing.

So Sermon gets cut for that very reason. Forget how many RBs we have on the roster at that stage and remember that you like to keep a [previous year's] 3rd rd. pick on your PS if possible at that stage when bottom line is Sermon's @ spot #53.

The moment we find someone that we feel can contribute to the team more than he can,....he gone and player #52 moves to #53.

Those body counts @ particular positions matter once you get higher on the depth chart. Stuff that was generally looked at and arranged a long time ago.
[ Edited by random49er on Sep 1, 2022 at 5:22 AM ]
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
We cut jamychal to keep trey. Jamychal is way better. Then we cut serman next day. Huh? Makes no sense.why do we do stuff like this.

The reason why things seem this way to you is because you are viewing things thru the wrong side of the binoculars.

Everything has a pecking order. Especially once you are down to the last 5 or so spots on your team (e.g., 49-53).

Once you are in that range with a talented roster, then position be damned. You just want guys that you feel can eventually contribute to the team and you'd like to keep away from other teams possibly stealing.

So Sermon gets cut for that very reason. Forget how many RBs we have on the roster at that stage and remember that you like to keep a [previous year's] 3rd rd. pick on your PS if possible at that stage when bottom line is Sermon's @ spot #53.

The moment we find someone that we feel can contribute to the team more than he can,....he gone and player #52 moves to #53.

Those body counts @ particular positions matter once you get higher on the depth chart. Stuff that was generally looked at and arranged a long time ago.

ie Hasty is the most useless rb this year, he went 1st 🤣
They rather have a decent o lineman than 3 similar backup rbs, the least promising rb went 2nd, Sermon, regardless of where he was drafted, they didn't care.

Really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things where NFL backups are concerned.. if it did, they would be STARTERS.. and they are not and only matters if the starters at their position are unfortunately injured.
[ Edited by ChillninDaBay on Sep 1, 2022 at 5:29 AM ]
So useless that he was claimed off waivers and put on another teams 53 less than 24 hours after being released. 😂
Good luck in your future endeavors. Stay healthy
Originally posted by 9moon:
Of course it couldn't be Shanny's pick.. no way Shanny pick up a sorry back.. Mitch was the only RB he wanted all along..

I just saying go back and watch the draft war room when Sermon was drafted. Mike was fist pumping lol. That was his dude and for sure kyle has to approve it.

no one gets it all right. If you don't think SF has one of the netter rosters in football I don't know what to tell ya.
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
And to think if they were smart, we could have had C/G Quinn Meinerz instead.... fools

Could have had Quinnen Williams instead of Bosa. Could have drafted Jordan Leggett instead of Kittle…Fools.

No one is 100%
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Really? Didn't Thomas and Sermon at least play in actual football games? Hurd should be considered the biggest bust. He never even made it onto the field.

I would call Pettis one of the biggest busts. Hurd just couldn't say healthy
Originally posted by Heed49er:
Good luck in your future endeavors. Stay healthy

He probably will be a decent back ultimately, but isn't a scheme fit here. That is OK, not everyone is. This zone scheme is weird that way, there is a very specific set of tools that don't jump off the screen. It is burst to the edge and diagnosis of where the lane is over top end speed and elusiveness. It is agility over power. It is being decisive over making something happen that wasn't there. A lot of very good backs likely would have stunk it up here. That is why you find guys super late in the draft or even undrafted that just come out of nowhere and heavily touted recruits sometimes don't fit. It is hard to draft, you don't know who can do it for sure until you make them do it.
Originally posted by ChillninDaBay:
They rather have a decent o lineman than 3 similar backup rbs, the least promising rb went 2nd, Sermon, regardless of where he was drafted, they didn't care.

Really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things where NFL backups are concerned.. if it did, they would be STARTERS.. and they are not and only matters if the starters at their position are unfortunately injured.

Well I did mix in the previous year's 3rd round pick being a factor "a little."

I think that made Hasty slightly more expendable....but at best they both were destined for the PS.

I think there's a team out there that cut their 2021 1st round pick right? So ish happens.
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by Wrathman:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Worst pick of the Shanahan era, for sure.

Hurd is up there too, but at least Hurd's lack of success was injury related, not a lack of skills.

Joe Williams was bad too. Banks better show something or he could be in contention.

but the obvious answer is Solomon Thomas with Mahomes, Watson, and Lattimore on the board.

I'm judging the worst pick based on what we actually got out of the player. Solomon Thomas at least did SOMEthing for this franchise. I get that we passed on a HOF QB, but I am judging strictly on the player itself.

Sermon at the top of the list for me.

Jenkins and Woods are two 1st rounders that did absolutely nothing.

Right. And both are very far removed from the Shanahan era haha.

I think Solly should be the #1 bust from the Shanny era due to the fact he was drafted #3 overall and did absolute nothing out there on the field.

Sermon would be a close 2nd though.

Really? Didn't Thomas and Sermon at least play in actual football games? Hurd should be considered the biggest bust. He never even made it onto the field.

Um, and even though he was drafted a round later, as running backs Joe Williams was a bigger bust than Sermon. With Sermon there was at least 41 carries in actual games. That's 41 more than Joe Williams provided.

Judging from the comments, I sometimes feel that there is an almost "anti Ohio State" bias unless your name is Nick Bosa. "Stay away from Ohio State running backs." Ezekiel Elliott's career started out pretty good. 3 years of over 300 carries the Cowboys have already almost run him into the ground. J.K. Dobbins was pretty danged good as a rookie in Baltimore too. And Carlos Hyde was no star here but he was a competent NFL back. The reality is any school that puts a ton of guys into the NFL, (Ohio State, Alabama, USC, LSU, Georgia, etc) is going to have a number of guys hit and a number of guys miss.

I think it was Brucey who as an Ohio State fan as well never liked the pick. He had a point in that Sermon early on in the year, for a good portion of the year, didn't look special. As such he probably was a bit of a reach to start with. But a lot of it is being in the right system. It's as much on Kyle and the brain trust as it is Sermon if this is a one cut and go system and Sermon isn't really a one cut and go back. The only thing I can see with the addition of Aaron Banks last year and the cutting first of Hasty this year is there seemed to be more of a move toward power inside running than the shiftier/sleeker/faster Mostert/Breida/Hasty types. But overall it just does seem the two sides were never the best match.

• Silky
  • Veteran
So we have 4 RBs now right? Mitchell, Wilson, TDP, and Mason. That seems like enough, no?
Originally posted by Silky:
So we have 4 RBs now right? Mitchell, Wilson, TDP, and Mason. That seems like enough, no?

It SEEMS like enough until you factor in how the last few years, several have gone down early for extended stretches on IR or out for the season. We shall see - the offense needs that component, and it would be great to have another real threat in the passing game.
Originally posted by random49er:

Well I did mix in the previous year's 3rd round pick being a factor "a little."

I think that made Hasty slightly more expendable....but at best they both were destined for the PS.

I think there's a team out there that cut their 2021 1st round pick right? So ish happens.

Where you are drafted doesn't mean much once you get in the NFL, if someone drafted lower or undrafted is better than you and is competing for your position on the team, you become expendable... that's the NFL, a performance based business.

Hasty is definitely useless on this team now, Sermon apparently isn't as good as TDP or Mason in Kyle and Lynch's evaluation and outlook going forward.
[ Edited by ChillninDaBay on Sep 1, 2022 at 7:46 AM ]
I guess Trey Seaman never really planted his seed here
Where you are drafted doesn't mean much once you get in the NFL, if someone drafted lower or undrafted is better than you and is competing for your position on the team, you become expendable... that's the NFL, a performance based business.

Hasty is definitely useless on this team now, Sermon apparently isn't as good as TDP or Mason in Kyle and Lynch's evaluation and outlook going forward.

Useless to a degree. Him being initially on the 53 just says (to me) that maybe they would've given him a couple more months to show something due to where he was drafted, even if Hasty was currently the more useful player.

Higher picks generally are initially dealt with with a little more patience than UFAs.
Share 49ersWebzone