LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 183 users in the forums

Dallas Cowboys QB Trey Lance Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Wow, I don't know what's more impressive: Trey or the camera work.
Originally posted by MertonSpanks:
Originally posted by GangstaGangsta:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by mayo49:
I feel like he's becoming the favorite to start week 1

That'd be awesome - he can do it.

How so? No TC, no full padded 11-11, no preseason games no way you can tell just from throwing against air in a tee and shorts. Dude is flat out more physically talented than Jimmy that's all you can read from right now.

It's an accumulation of small pieces. It's Shanahan's comments - from Trey may take a year, to Jimmy is the starter and Trey needs to learn, to now he's had the entire offense installed and Shanahan wouldn't be against a rookie competing for the starting spot.

I think the language was at first designed to reduce pressure on Trey to come out and take over immediately. But the key is can Trey win the locker room, which will require time. But I think it's no accident that you see Kittle go on national media and talk up Trey a few days after it's been said he's absorbed the whole offense. This is all orchestrated for Trey to "surpass expectations" and compete. Then you'll see some "wow" plays in the preseason. And then it'll be a toss up by the third week as to who should start…
man.. some coach speak and warm up throws is all it took for you to claim him starter lol

I'm just reading tea-leaves. I'm seeing the winds change. And I'm assuming it's not changing haphazardly, that there's some orchestration to it.
Well there is a back side to that tea leaf that tell another story. lets not get ahead of ourselves by anointing a project QB the starter

Training camp should be interesting, but it does look to be a competition

No question. Love that.
This will probably be the most polarized Camp in 49er history.. I just hope we don't screw it up by starting the guy too early

If Lance beats out jimmy and is appointed starter week 1 that means he is way beyond ready to start in the NFL. If the competition is close or if it appears Lance is only slightly better I think they still start Jimmy. The only way he starts week 1 is if he proves without a shadow of a doubt he is ready to start in the NFL. They have invested to much to just throw him to the wolves.

I've been wondering what this whole situation is going to look like, and one of the scenarios I've thought might be really similar is how the Eagles handled Carson Wentz. I looked back at how that played out, and it was frankly pretty shocking. They had Sam Bradford ahead of him, who actually finally started to look like a good option for a team (kinda sorta). Since Wentz came from the same tiny FCS school that Lance is coming from, the stories at the time all paint the same scenario as now. Wentz was "too raw" and there was a good vet ahead of him (who gets hurt a lot) so the team is going to let the talented but often injured vet play in year one, and Wentz can hold the clip board, and "learn by watching".

What's so shocking looking back is how the whole thing played out. Wentz played (pretty poorly) in the week one preseason game, and managed to fracture his ribs in the process. He didn't play a single snap the rest of the way in the preseason. Meanwhile, Bradford had a really, really productive weeks 2 and 3 of the preseason, and everything looked solid for that initial "plan" the Eagles supposedly had made.

two days after their 4th preseason game (which, again, Wentz didn't participate in), Bradford gets traded off for a first and a fourth to help recoup some of the cost for trading up to get Wentz, and Wentz (who only played some mediocre snaps in the first preseason game) ends up your week one starter in his rookie year.

Obviously it's not a perfectly analogous situation. Lance is even more raw than Wentz was, and the Eagles didn't have Super Bowl aspirations that year, but honestly , there's a lot in common here. I was kinda shocked looking back at how that all played out. Even after the trade was made, the media assumed that Chase Daniel was going to be the week one starter for the Eagles. I mean, Wentz only played a handful of snaps in one preseason game, and they decided that they saw enough. I think it's just hard for us on the outside to make a lot of predictions about how these things are going to play out.
I think your saying raw as in time playing. When I hear raw it's more of them not having on the skill sets required to play the position and they need those to be coached up. I think the only thing raw about Lance is playing time.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by tankle104:

Jesus that was beautiful. It's crazy to see the velocity on his throws from a sideline view.

That looks fine but it's one pass with nobody rushing him and nobody defending the receiver. Don't get so excited. When he does that in a real game then we can get excited.

F*** that I am excited!!!
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by tankle104:

Jesus that was beautiful. It's crazy to see the velocity on his throws from a sideline view.

That looks fine but it's one pass with nobody rushing him and nobody defending the receiver. Don't get so excited. When he does that in a real game then we can get excited.

F*** that I am excited!!!

Kyle's chosen one!
Let's not get too excited about watching Trey practice. I mean…….

Trey may be our QBotF, but not this season. He needs to sit and watch.
[ Edited by StOnEy333 on Jun 19, 2021 at 10:31 AM ]

It's June and we just want content…stop being a Debbie downer
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jun 19, 2021 at 10:49 AM ]
Originally posted by StOnEy333:

For game 1,...yes. But how sure are you that the offense will be absolutely clicking without him? It seems like we can't get through several practices without freak injuries. So there's no sense really in tempering your mood to see this kid ready ASAP.

Not ideal to have him pushed into the fray immediately, but our recent history @ the position has been anything but ideal.

As each day goes by, I fall further and further from this position (which was my position when I was advocating we draft Lance back in March and April). I think he's unlikely to fall flat on his face. He seems to learn quickly, accept constructive criticism, and improve. Literally all of the mechanical flaws we were obsessing over this spring appear to be fixed.

Pros
- he gets playing experience, which is his only apparent deficit
- by him being QB1 & cutting/trading Jimmy, we get to take advantage of all 4 cheap years of the rookie wage scale. We could go get Gilmore or Ingram or Houston or keep the money for trade deadline and make a big deal.

Cons
- if the team thinks the job was given to Trey and he didn't legitimately win the job, it could fracture the locker room
- if he does struggle early, it could stunt his growth

I just don't see it as likely that he'll struggle mightily. I think he could have a Big Ben/Wilson type of rookie year, passing <400 times and being part of a primary run attack. If he's able to put up:
55% comp, 8 ypa, 20 TDs, 10 INTs, and maybe 400 yds rushing with a couple of TDs, that's essentially the level of expectation we have for Jimmy anyway. And I think he could outdo that.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

No, he needs to start - he'll be ready to go.

He was way past the line of scrimmage. That's a flag all day

Originally posted by Howlett49:

He was way past the line of scrimmage. That's a flag all day

The hell he's running around for...no rushers, only 1 receiver, no one covering him

His arm talent will be the same in either situation, no?
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan

Also, wasn't the ball out of bounds? Receiver got one foot down, we need two. NEED TWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by random49er:

For game 1,...yes. But how sure are you that the offense will be absolutely clicking without him? It seems like we can't get through several practices without freak injuries. So there's no sense really in tempering your mood to see this kid ready ASAP.

Not ideal to have him pushed into the fray immediately, but our recent history @ the position has been anything but ideal.

For game 1 and beyond. If anyone is expecting a HEALTHY Jimmy to go out and stink it up, then you may be in for a disappointment. Jimmy is a good QB when healthy and runs this offense really well. Dont expect to see Trey start this year unless Jimmy goes down. Trey is the QB of the future.... but this year he is Jimmy's insurance policy.
[ Edited by BMoore56 on Jun 19, 2021 at 11:27 AM ]
I want Jimmy healthy and I want Jimmy to stay in the lineup as long as possible this year. The flip-side of that is I know that that usually includes need a very good defense, a very good running game, and very good pass catchers, not to mention ST.

And I'd add that you have the insurance and the insured in reverse order.
Share 49ersWebzone