There are 239 users in the forums

Mac Jones-QB-Patriots

Shop 49ers game tickets

Mac Jones-QB-Patriots

Originally posted by ComeOnDeberg:
I don't consider Wilson a likely possibility, since he will go much higher.

He's still a possibility via a trade. I doubt they could come up with enough to make a reasonable offer to get Lawrence or Fields. It reaslly comes down to how highly Wilson is viewed after the combine. or is he skipping that too.
I think Niners stay at 12 and pick Mac. I think Shanny has fallen in love with his intermediate game and accuracy which is something the Niners haven't had for awhile. This allows Kyle to open up the playbook and not have to dial it down for our QB.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
this year is the year that won't break us to trade high up.. might not get a chance like this again

It depends on how high you're going up. Not to be Debbie Downer or anything but what happens if the guy we trade up for gets injured?

What happens if the guys you drafted instead of moving up bust/get hurt AND The QB you missed out is a baller? Can't live thinking like that.

Big difference in putting all your eggs in one basket vs spreading them out.

You worry about the players you have and not who other teams got and who you missed on. Control what you can control.

As I said I don't have an issue with us trading up but it depends for whom. It also does make me nervous because despite your thinking if we remove Jimmy's contract we still can't sign everyone we need. I don't think you ever did cover how exactly you get rid of Jimmy's contract in time to sign the free agents we need to keep while also not making us clearly desperate for a starting QB heading into the draft...

You worry about the players you have and not who other teams got and who you missed on. Control what you can control.

As I said I don't have an issue with us trading up but it depends for whom. It also does make me nervous because despite your thinking if we remove Jimmy's contract we still can't sign everyone we need. I don't think you ever did cover how exactly you get rid of Jimmy's contract in time to sign the free agents we need to keep while also not making us clearly desperate for a starting QB heading into the draft...

We can sign whomever we want if we move off that deal...SF will have something like $120M in cap space in 2022 moving off JG/Ford/Richburg. It's not like the 3 of them have really been constants on this team anyway. Structure the contracts accordingly.

Move up before the draft, move up before the season starts...they don't need to cut Jimmy to resign TW anyway.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jan 16, 2021 at 5:06 AM ]

We can sign whomever we want if we move off that deal...SF will have something like $120M in cap space in 2022 moving off JG/Ford/Richburg. It's not like the 3 of them have really been constants on this team anyway. Structure the contracts accordingly.

Move up before the draft, move up before the season starts...they don't need to cut Jimmy to resign TW anyway.

You're still avoiding the question though. How do you get rid of that contract in time to sign all the free agents who we may lose and not leave us desperate with no starting QB? Which in turn makes us have terrible leverage for the draft..

If you trade or cut Jimmy before free agency starts to sign those guys what money are you using?

If you wait to trade or cut him til the draft then why would the free agents wait around?

It's not as cut and dry as you're making it.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
You're still avoiding the question though. How do you get rid of that contract in time to sign all the free agents who we may lose and not leave us desperate with no starting QB? Which in turn makes us have terrible leverage for the draft..

If you trade or cut Jimmy before free agency starts to sign those guys what money are you using?

If you wait to trade or cut him til the draft then why would the free agents wait around?

I think he did answer your question.

He's saying you can structure free agent contracts to hit us harder in 2022 that 2021 with anticipation of the cap going back up in 22. Not sure how feasible it would be to the FAs but that's what he's saying.

He's also saying trade up in the draft early. Like as soon as FA and trading is allowed. We then would be in position to take a QB. While also able to sign FAs. The problem there is we are trading up blind and not sure the QB we want will be there. Unless of course we trade to #2. But if we don't get to #2 there's a chance we miss out on our guy then end up "settling" and do so with trading the farm
[ Edited by krizay on Jan 16, 2021 at 6:41 AM ]

Where did I avoid it...cut him and move up in the draft before the actual draft (before free agency starts), tons of teams move up in the draft well before the draft starts... His contract saves more money than any single contract in the NFL next yr, so not sure what you mean with "what money are you using"?

AND not all of these FA are gonna sign the first week of free agency anyway...all that freed up cash let's you resign who you want, upgrade, structure contracts to fit within the cap the next couple yrs...and gives you a much better idea of the players/positions you're targeting in the draft.

AND even if you don't want to move off Jimmy pre-draft you can do the following.

Cut richburg/Ford/Nze/Benjamin, restructure Ward, and give Tomlinson an extension...which would give SF a total cap space off around $44M heading into free agency...plenty of dough to do what they want.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jan 16, 2021 at 7:23 AM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49erminion:
QB's who played in the SB the past ten years:

Eli Manning
Tom Brady
Joe Flacco
Colin Kaepernick
Russell Wilson
Peyton Manning
Cam Newton
Matt Ryan
Jared Goff
Jimmy Garappollo
Pat Mahomes

Majority are traditional pocket passers and we are going to get a traditional pocket passer representing the NFC in the SB unless Saints advance and lose Brees in the process.

Thinking back to our 2012 SB, do you boyz remember Joe Flacco scrambling often out of the pocket to avoid sure sacks by our defense and extending plays and getting first downs?

Who is to say Mac Jones cant do the same thing?

And after Brady/Brees move on do you think that tread will continue? Not sure why we gotta keep looking at the past when we clearly see what is happening in the present/future.

There are less and less pure in the pocket QBs in the NFL. The way the college game is going, plus who is learning to play QB it's just changing. You're allowed to throw in the pocket AND move when necessary . Crazy I know.

Having a QB that is an option to run for 1st downs, also changes how a defense plays...you can't play man coverage all game. Just another tool to put in kyle's tool belt end of the day. Not sure why people want to keep limiting him?

I would believe that if that were actually true. After all two pocket passers were drafted in the top 10 this past draft in Burrow and Herbert. I really don't get the sense that the league is moving towards running, scrambling and mobile QB's. How many scrambling, running and mobile QB's were drafted in the top 10 since 2010?? How many are actually successful as of right now or look to be successful in the next two years??

What would you consider Patrick Mahomes??
  • krizay
  • Veteran
https://mobile.twitter.com/PFF_College/status/1350291687642435584

Where did I avoid it...cut him and move up in the draft before the actual draft (before free agency starts), tons of teams move up in the draft well before the draft starts... His contract saves more money than any single contract in the NFL next yr, so not sure what you mean with "what money are you using"?

AND not all of these FA are gonna sign the first week of free agency anyway...all that freed up cash let's you resign who you want, upgrade, structure contracts to fit within the cap the next couple yrs...and gives you a much better idea of the players/positions you're targeting in the draft.

AND even if you don't want to move off Jimmy pre-draft you can do the following.

Cut richburg/Ford/Nze/Benjamin, restructure Ward, and give Tomlinson an extension...which would give SF a total cap space off around $44M heading into free agency...plenty of dough to do what they want.

I had a brain fart typing that out. I meant pretty much you cut him before and it makes us desperate and primed for trade rape.

I know teams have made pre draft trades but how many were done before free agency started?

That's basically what it would take to make things work out. Plus NFL vets prefer known players. Will signing some of our guys be harder if we show our hand that we're replacing Jimmy with a draft pick? Maybe they'll think the guy would be better but I think the team loves Jimmy for a reason. Going with an unknown even with serious potential could have some of our FAs opt to go elsewhere with more stable QB situation.

I guess we'll see what happens. Hope Paraag works his magic and the key guys cooperate.

Originally posted by krizay:
https://mobile.twitter.com/PFF_College/status/1350291687642435584

Also had most NFL talent around him. There's talks they could break Miami's record for the most 1st round picks in a draft class.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NTeply49:
Also had most NFL talent around him. There's talks they could break Miami's record for the most 1st round picks in a draft class.

Stare down first read, throw to first read, first down. Repeat
  • krizay
  • Veteran

Lol

Calling him a one read QB is completely false.
Share 49ersWebzone