There are 172 users in the forums

Mac Jones-QB-Patriots

Shop 49ers game tickets

Mac Jones-QB-Patriots

Originally posted by genus49:
So you're telling me playcalling helps the OL?

To me it all comes down to where Kyle is at these days.

What I'm pretty sure we know - Kyle wants someone who can run his offense. That's why we have him and that's what makes him so good. Bringing in a guy who freelances all the time and plays out of scheme doesn't make sense with a coach like Kyle.

What we don't know - Will Kyle prefer to have a guy who can do the things he wants based on his prior sterotypes - Cousins, Beathard, Jimmy G, Derek Carr(who was his top graded QB in that draft class) or is there a version of a Dante Pettis like lesson at the QB position where seeing Mahomes and Watson have so much success in the league gets him to have a lightbulb moment.

I hope Kyle is seeing the big picture and can envision a guy who is mobile that he can groom that can make all the plays Kyle dials up look routine while also being able to make big plays happen when things break down. I just don't know if it will happen in this draft class with all of our free agents.

Been saying that for yrs.

I don't see why any of the top 4 QBs can't run Kyles scheme? In a ideal world, a QB just runs kyle offense and throws to wide open receivers all yr every yr. that's not reality.

There happens to be 11 players on defense PP breakdowns, can't get open, missed reads, missed blitz pickups, bad play calling etc etc...a QB has to react to this, they have to be able to make a play when there isn't something schemed there.

My god let's stop bing passive about it, do we think we're gonna be drafting higher than 12 in the near future? I mean maybe if Jimmy is the QB this yr

One 1st rd pick on a QB in over 2 decades and that's not because we had great QBs. If not now...when? All these teams are dealing with losing FAs and a lot of them are in way worst shape then us regarding the cap.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
So you're telling me playcalling helps the OL?

To me it all comes down to where Kyle is at these days.

What I'm pretty sure we know - Kyle wants someone who can run his offense. That's why we have him and that's what makes him so good. Bringing in a guy who freelances all the time and plays out of scheme doesn't make sense with a coach like Kyle.

What we don't know - Will Kyle prefer to have a guy who can do the things he wants based on his prior sterotypes - Cousins, Beathard, Jimmy G, Derek Carr(who was his top graded QB in that draft class) or is there a version of a Dante Pettis like lesson at the QB position where seeing Mahomes and Watson have so much success in the league gets him to have a lightbulb moment.

I hope Kyle is seeing the big picture and can envision a guy who is mobile that he can groom that can make all the plays Kyle dials up look routine while also being able to make big plays happen when things break down. I just don't know if it will happen in this draft class with all of our free agents.

I don't see why any of the top 4 QBs can't run Kyles scheme? In a ideal world, a QB just runs kyle offense and throws to wide open receivers all yr every yr. that's not reality.

There happens to be 11 players on defense PP breakdowns, can't get open, missed reads, missed blitz pickups, bad play calling etc etc...a QB has to react to this, they have to be able to make a play when there isn't something schemed there.

My god let's stop bing passive about it, do we think we're gonna be drafting higher than 12 in the near future? I mean maybe if Jimmy is the QB this yr

One 1st rd pick on a QB in over 2 decades and that's not because we had great QBs. If not now...when? All these teams are dealing with losing FAs and a lot of them are in way worst shape then us regarding the cap.
this year is the year that won't break us to trade high up.. might not get a chance like this again
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
this year is the year that won't break us to trade high up.. might not get a chance like this again

Couldn't agree more with you two.

It depends on how high you're going up. Not to be Debbie Downer or anything but what happens if the guy we trade up for gets injured?

It depends on how high you're going up. Not to be Debbie Downer or anything but what happens if the guy we trade up for gets injured?

Then we pick high again and draft another elite edge rusher
Originally posted by Waterbear:

Not if we trade that pick away...

I understand you can't be scared to make moves IF you think a prospect is really special but outside of Lawrence are we talking ourselves into thinking these guys are better than they really are?

Good thing is there are a lot smarter people in charge of figuring this out.

Not if you're moving up for a QB. You're out at least one future first.
Is Wilson a SR? If he is, I hope he and Jones both play in the Senior bowl since they are the most likely possibilities for the Niners. One is questioned because he faced weak competition and the other is questioned because he played with so many talented players. It would give the scouts and coaches a chance to see them all week in practice as well as operating in a scheme they probably won't be familiar with.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Is Wilson a SR? If he is, I hope he and Jones both play in the Senior bowl since they are the most likely possibilities for the Niners. One is questioned because he faced weak competition and the other is questioned because he played with so many talented players. It would give the scouts and coaches a chance to see them all week in practice as well as operating in a scheme they probably won't be familiar with.

No they won't be there only the following QBs:

Kellen Mond
Sam Ehlinger
Ian Book
Kyle Trask
Feleipe Franks
Jamie Newman
Originally posted by ComeOnDeberg:

Kellen Mond
Sam Ehlinger
Ian Book
Kyle Trask
Feleipe Franks
Jamie Newman
I don't consider Wilson a likely possibility, since he will go much higher.

What happens if the guys you drafted instead of moving up bust/get hurt AND The QB you missed out is a baller? Can't live thinking like that.
QB's who played in the SB the past ten years:

Eli Manning
Tom Brady
Joe Flacco
Colin Kaepernick
Russell Wilson
Peyton Manning
Cam Newton
Matt Ryan
Jared Goff
Jimmy Garappollo
Pat Mahomes

Majority are traditional pocket passers and we are going to get a traditional pocket passer representing the NFC in the SB unless Saints advance and lose Brees in the process.

Thinking back to our 2012 SB, do you boyz remember Joe Flacco scrambling often out of the pocket to avoid sure sacks by our defense and extending plays and getting first downs?

Who is to say Mac Jones cant do the same thing?
Originally posted by 49erminion:
QB's who played in the SB the past ten years:

Eli Manning
Tom Brady
Joe Flacco
Colin Kaepernick
Russell Wilson
Peyton Manning
Cam Newton
Matt Ryan
Jared Goff
Jimmy Garappollo
Pat Mahomes

Majority are traditional pocket passers and we are going to get a traditional pocket passer representing the NFC in the SB unless Saints advance and lose Brees in the process.

Thinking back to our 2012 SB, do you boyz remember Joe Flacco scrambling often out of the pocket to avoid sure sacks by our defense and extending plays and getting first downs?

Who is to say Mac Jones cant do the same thing?

And after Brady/Brees move on do you think that tread will continue? Not sure why we gotta keep looking at the past when we clearly see what is happening in the present/future.

There are less and less pure in the pocket QBs in the NFL. The way the college game is going, plus who is learning to play QB it's just changing. You're allowed to throw in the pocket AND move when necessary . Crazy I know.

Having a QB that is an option to run for 1st downs, also changes how a defense plays...you can't play man coverage all game. Just another tool to put in kyle's tool belt end of the day. Not sure why people want to keep limiting him?
  • 9moon
  • Veteran

Kellen Mond
Sam Ehlinger
Ian Book
Kyle Trask
Feleipe Franks
Jamie Newman
I don't consider Wilson a likely possibility, since he will go much higher.

Shanny will draft Sam I AM late in the 3rd or 4th..
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Not if you're moving up for a QB. You're out at least one future first.

Well poop...
Share 49ersWebzone