LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 293 users in the forums

Mac Jones-QB-Patriots

Shop 49ers game tickets

Mac Jones-QB-Patriots

Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by TheRickestRick:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Dude got tired of people clowning on his cable squat/lunge exercise.

Nothing he does in the gym looks natural... him in the gym is like watching a new born horse trying to walk.

Yeah no argument there.

If we draft Mac he will never stop watching film... He has the little details that make qbs Great... Return of the Mac
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by boomer49er:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by HarboutTHAT:
Wow... I lift daily and am no where near squating this... Mac is lunging it... Doge Coin now this... This world is unpredictable man...

That's an absolutely incredible lift. It's astonishing. There goes the he is not athletic stuff.

He's still not athletic enough.

Tom Brady is not very athletic.

Yeah, that's who I compare him to. He does his damage in the pocket, just like Tom.

So why is it you compare him to the best pocket passer in history as compared to the average NFL pocket passer, which is where he could statistically be most likely to progress to? Why compare him to Tom Brady when it's more appropriate to compare him to Joe Flacco or Andy Dalton?

If we're playing that game then lets start comparing fields to a more fair comparison of Marcus Marriota because that's who he'll probably progress to in the NFL.
Epic... Jcs...
Originally posted by boomer49er:
Wow... I lift daily and am no where near squating this... Mac is lunging it... Doge Coin now this... This world is unpredictable man...

That's an absolutely incredible lift. It's astonishing. There goes the he is not athletic stuff.

He's still not athletic enough.

Tom Brady is not very athletic.

Yeah, that's who I compare him to. He does his damage in the pocket, just like Tom.

So why is it you compare him to the best pocket passer in history as compared to the average NFL pocket passer, which is where he could statistically be most likely to progress to? Why compare him to Tom Brady when it's more appropriate to compare him to Joe Flacco or Andy Dalton?

Maybe because he just put up the greatest college season in history without waddle in an pro system...

People saying only played the 55 ranked avg defensive schedule vs fields at 24... What are all those defenses ranked if you take away the Alabama games... Mac made those defenses rank were they are... 400 yards and 4 tds a game will do that...

Clearly the NFL does not see it that way that you can say his season puts him on a Tom Brady track because you may notice he's no where in the discussion to go 1 or 2 and he wasn't in discussion to go 3 until we traded up. There's a big asterisk on his best season ever because his team was so good that you can't simply credit it to Mac
Originally posted by jobiwon:
https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/greg-cosell-discusses-49ers-2021-nfl-draft-qb-options-no-3-pick

Cosell says most coaches don't want their QB to go off schedule. I see Fields going somewhere like Denver with a defense coach where you need him to be the offense and win MVP. With Mac, Shanny is the star and if the offense is executed precisely each play, then you're talking SB.
Shanny would love to have a QB that could run also. I think he'd design a few specific plays to run at times to pressure the D. He's said an offense like he had for RG III is not what he wants to run though.
I still believe he'd place a premium on a QB with high level pocket skills over one that can run. He's just want them to be athletic enough to execute some boots which Mac showed at the pro day. The pick is still likely Mac.

This needs to be talked about.

I spoke to Jeff Deeney at PFF and asked him to be conservative in defining an "off schedule" play.

We do mark if the QB scrambles outside of the pocket, and then again if he runs past line of scrimmage. It's not a really high number, about 13-14% in the NCAA last year.

This is significant in a league where off schedule plays are not only the most common but encouraged because of the number of athletic profile QB's.

In the NFL, that's probably cut in half but like physical attributes, through highlights, these are the easiest to "see" from a fans perspective yet it is such a small % of plays.

In the end, the QB in the NFL is still making on schedule throws over 90% of the time.

These on schedule plays are the attributes Kyle is believed to focus on most. As he should.
Originally posted by NCommand:
https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/greg-cosell-discusses-49ers-2021-nfl-draft-qb-options-no-3-pick

Cosell says most coaches don't want their QB to go off schedule. I see Fields going somewhere like Denver with a defense coach where you need him to be the offense and win MVP. With Mac, Shanny is the star and if the offense is executed precisely each play, then you're talking SB.
Shanny would love to have a QB that could run also. I think he'd design a few specific plays to run at times to pressure the D. He's said an offense like he had for RG III is not what he wants to run though.
I still believe he'd place a premium on a QB with high level pocket skills over one that can run. He's just want them to be athletic enough to execute some boots which Mac showed at the pro day. The pick is still likely Mac.

I spoke to Jeff Deeney at PFF and asked him to be conservative in defining an "off schedule" play.

We do mark if the QB scrambles outside of the pocket, and then again if he runs past line of scrimmage. It's not a really high number, about 13-14% in the NCAA last year.

This is significant in a league where off schedule plays are not only the most common but encouraged because of the number of athletic profile QB's.

In the NFL, that's probably cut in half but like physical attributes, through highlights, these are the easiest to "see" from a fans perspective yet it is such a small % of plays.

In the end, the QB in the NFL is still making on schedule throws over 90% of the time.

These on schedule plays are the attributes Kyle is believed to focus on most. As he should.

Yah off schedule as if soon the play starts you run around doing your own s**t, not see the field and what the coach draws up. Improvise when the play breaks down and the d plays the play well is a complete different thing.
If we draft Mac he will never stop watching film... He has the little details that make qbs Great... Return of the Mac

watching all the film isn't gonna help ya when someone runs a wrong route, misses a block, or the coach runs the wrong play...

The little details huh? What are those details?

Clutch factor when down late in games? Toughness when getting killed out there?

oh wait those things never happened to him? Weird. Guess we'll just assume he'd crush those if they did.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by NCommand:

Yah off schedule as if soon the play starts you run around doing your own s**t, not see the field and what the coach draws up. Improvise when the play breaks down and the d plays the play well is a complete different thing.

This is one of the reasons when a play is blown up in SF and the QB is able to buy more time, nobody else seems to have a clue what to do. To me, this is centric to how hard they work on on schedule plays. The polar opposite of Seattle where Russell Wilson and his receivers literally, practice off schedule plays as its such a huge portion of their offense.
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by evil:
Since NY posted the Fields ones in the apropos thread, we should bring Macs here too.

I want to see videos of the other guys breaking down tape like this. Shanahan always stresses the importance of understanding why they're doing something. Also, Mac Jones spitting out WCO structured play calls with ease. I can see Mac Jones putting on a clinic in his meetings with the 49ers.

I still fully expect Mac Jones to be the pick on April 29. It is what it is.

Same. He's still my left-brain guess. Right-brain is Fields and 3rd-eye is Lance.
Originally posted by krizay:

By now theres a stat that each QB can use to claim they're the best. The PFF/analytics stuff isn't really clearing anything up for me at this point.

Curious if there's any research on which college stats are most correlated with NFL success over the past 10-15 years. Which stats should we actually be paying attention to?

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Simms continues to say that it's Mac at #3.
Originally posted by genus49:
The little details huh? What are those details?

Clutch factor when down late in games? Toughness when getting killed out there?

oh wait those things never happened to him? Weird. Guess we'll just assume he'd crush those if they did.

It's funny I'm watching GMFB today and peter schrager is puffing up Jones and his Tom Brady "ability" one minute then in the next minute he says if he doesn't go to SF, he doesn't have a team for him lol...he could slide there isn't a "floor" for him in the draft beyond SF taking him at 3?!?!

Like WTF is this? If he's the next Brady teams should be throwing picks at whomever to go get him....how is he not even in the discussion at two? The Jets have watched Brady piss pound them for 20 yrs. They run the same exact offense and half of the coaching staff are Shanny guys

IMO all this Jones talk after the trade could be as simple as his agent telling the NFL media, in hopes to prop up his draft stock. I mean the mass media wasn't talking about him much prior to the draft...now it's nonstop. AND it's not like he's lying either, SF could very well have liked him at 12...they could love one of the other 4 QBs and moved up because of that.
  • pdc20
  • Veteran
I´d like to know why Shanahan didn´t ask him to work with John Beck. One way or another it really intrigues me.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
If they go Mac at #3 - I hope they trade Jimmy immediately.
Originally posted by TheRickestRick:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Dude got tired of people clowning on his cable squat/lunge exercise.

Nothing he does in the gym looks natural... him in the gym is like watching a new born horse trying to walk.

LMAO! So funny.

Black in thinning right? Or that gut is gone?
Share 49ersWebzone