LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 241 users in the forums

Mac Jones-QB-Patriots

Shop 49ers game tickets

Mac Jones-QB-Patriots

Originally posted by frenchmov:
Originally posted by Bloodless:
I Did not say you can't teach just that it is not a given and as easy as people seem to think. There have been a ton of Qbs who have had all the physical traits in the world that failed in the NFL because they couldn't get where they needed to be from a mental standpoint. The thing I was talking about specifically is Processing info fast and the various things it affects in football. Processing info fast is not something you necessarily get better at with experience or being coached. Why do you think so many drivers are so young right now over guys who are so much older with more knowledge and experience. It is Because they can process info faster. There is an inherent aspect to it, not just something that can always be taught.

I disagree that you need an elite arm to be an elite QB. Plenty of Qbs who had Hall of fame careers without having elite arm talent. You need to have a certain level of arm talent and I believe Mac does have enough arm talent. I think Mac is worthy to be #3 because he does have elite traits. They might not be arm talent and speed. But they are elite traits that are very important for the QB position. Like Processing info fast, Pocket awareness, Pocket manipulation, Footwork, reading a defense, getting the ball out of your hands quickly, Decision making, ball security, Accuracy on short, medium, and long passes. Mac being so far along at this point in his career in these aspects of the game makes him worthy of the #3 pick.

But you are also presenting Mac being elite in this category & the 2 others not.... Which isn't true? So let me humor and say Mac Jones is an elite processor or whatever, 9/10. Justin fields is an 8/10, below Mac. But then arm fields is a 10/10 to Macs 7/10, athleticism fields 9/10 to Macs 5/10.... You begin to see why the choice is clear

Agreed. The gap between Fields Arm and athleticism is much wider to Mac than is Mac's gap in this "processing"
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
God, please don't let it be Jones.
Originally posted by 1swift:
These traits you have given only to Mac as elite I've seen several analysts also show Fields doing as well...in addition to being a plus athlete with a plus arm. The mental side of the game is the hardest to see on film because we don't know the true progressions, we dont know the coaching telling them to do something different than what we may think would be ideal in the given situation but there's been nothing concrete that says Fields isn't also mentally capable in addition to having physical attributes that Mac just doesn't have.

Originally posted by frenchmov:
But you are also presenting Mac being elite in this category & the 2 others not.... Which isn't true? So let me humor and say Mac Jones is an elite processor or whatever, 9/10. Justin fields is an 8/10, below Mac. But then arm fields is a 10/10 to Macs 7/10, athleticism fields 9/10 to Macs 5/10.... You begin to see why the choice is clear

I am not trying to bash Fields. I like a lot abut Fields. I will be perfectly fine if he is the pick even though I like Mac better. That being said there is some concerning things about Fields tape that just is not a concern for me when it comes to Mac at all. Some of this has been talked about. Like Fields holding onto the ball to long sometimes. Seemingly not processing info as quickly. Could be better at throwing with anticipation on routes. Not feeling pressure and often just not playing good when under pressure period. Games like Indiana where he made really poor decisions. Some people have attributed this to his coaching and scheme. Which very well could be the case. But it could also just be he needs to significantly improve as a player on these aspects. If these are not as big of an issue or If he is able to fix his weaknesses than I think Fields will be a homerun as a pick. But if he doesn't improve at some of these things, I could see the possibility of him struggling at the next level. I just think there is a higher risk with Fields than with Mac. That is not to say that I do not think Mac doesn't have a high ceiling either.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Dude got tired of people clowning on his cable squat/lunge exercise.

I feel like he is about to break.

Dude is lunging on 1 leg 405 lbs? No way. I don't believe it. That's an incredible lift. Wow.
Wow... I lift daily and am no where near squating this... Mac is lunging it... Doge Coin now this... This world is unpredictable man...
[ Edited by HarboutTHAT on Apr 18, 2021 at 11:11 PM ]
Originally posted by HarboutTHAT:
Wow... I lift daily and am no where near squating this... Mac is lunging it... Doge Coin now this... This world is unpredictable man...

That's an absolutely incredible lift. It's astonishing. There goes the he is not athletic stuff.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

That's an absolutely incredible lift. It's astonishing. There goes the he is not athletic stuff.

He's still not athletic enough.
Originally posted by mayo49:

Tom Brady is not very athletic.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Yeah, that's who I compare him to. He does his damage in the pocket, just like Tom.

Yeah, that's who I compare him to. He does his damage in the pocket, just like Tom.

The point is just sometimes athleticism is overrated at QB. We have seen it fail like RG3. Nobody is Brady. The point is to process things, read the field well, make the best decision quickly and throw an accurate ball, from the pocket especially are hugely important QB skills.

Very often they outweigh athleticism. Which will tease you but doesn't always translate to the NFL well. Sometimes it works like Russell Wilson. But if you look at his game he has all that other stuff too. He's not just a guy who can run a fast 40 time.

So why is it you compare him to the best pocket passer in history as compared to the average NFL pocket passer, which is where he could statistically be most likely to progress to? Why compare him to Tom Brady when it's more appropriate to compare him to Joe Flacco or Andy Dalton?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by boomer49er:

So why is it you compare him to the best pocket passer in history as compared to the average NFL pocket passer, which is where he could statistically be most likely to progress to? Why compare him to Tom Brady when it's more appropriate to compare him to Joe Flacco or Andy Dalton?

Mac had a good college career that's why I compare him to Tom because both have had success. Not, saying he's Tom by any means.

Maybe because he just put up the greatest college season in history without waddle in an pro system...

People saying only played the 55 ranked avg defensive schedule vs fields at 24... What are all those defenses ranked if you take away the Alabama games... Mac made those defenses rank were they are... 400 yards and 4 tds a game will do that...
[ Edited by HarboutTHAT on Apr 19, 2021 at 12:10 AM ]
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheRickestRick:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Dude got tired of people clowning on his cable squat/lunge exercise.

Nothing he does in the gym looks natural... him in the gym is like watching a new born horse trying to walk.

Yeah no argument there.
  • jcs
  • Veteran

If we're playing that game then lets start comparing fields to a more fair comparison of Marcus Marriota because that's who he'll probably progress to in the NFL.
Share 49ersWebzone