LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

4th and 15 Proposed Rule to replace On-Side Kick

Shop 49ers game tickets
I'm curious to hear what my fellow Niners fans think of this proposed rule.

I think if it is adopted it will cause more questionable game outcomes influenced by questionable ref calls. It seems to me that most teams that try this option will be half playing for the Defensive PI call as much as they are the legitimate completion of the 4th and 15. Thus this rule will cause more controversy about questionable DPI calls or questionable non-calls on blatant OPI.

I also am of the feeling that this potential new rule would be more often used by better teams just to run the clock out instead of giving the trailing team a chance to have another possession to tie or win the game.

What are your thoughts, Faithful?
Not in favor of it. Why do they have to keep ruining the game each year?
I'm torn. It's clearly another rule to help the offense vs the defense which is not a good thing.

On the other hand we have a great offensive mind who will help us take advantage of this.

I do think if it's implemented then it needs to come with specific stipulations. I heard them talking about it on NFL radio and how AAF used it and it made sense...make it that only a team that's losing can do it and within a certain amount being behind.

The rule would have a big strain on the defense, in a league that's already seeing defenses struggle due to the rules. Now you give up a score and have to get back out there for another play...with the implication of not making a stop on that play that your ass is right back on the field? Lots of pressure, lots of rules against you. Not a great feeling.
Not in favor of it. It's just going to put the refs in the spotlight. Like OP stated, some teams will try for defensive pass interference. Others will run pick routes and dare the refs to make the call. And, of course, fans will always see uncalled holding penalties, etc.

The impact will also not be equal on all teams. A team like the Titans, for example, will have far less chance at picking that up than KC. The Titans are also less likely to be blowing teams out, and therefore more likely to see an opponent take advantage of this. It clearly favors a certain play style and gives teams with top 5 qb's another advantage. The rest of the league will either see marginal benefit or no benefit at all.
Just doesn't seem right, win the game during the game. Can call it the "Participation Trophy" rule
[ Edited by ChaunceyGardner on May 28, 2020 at 10:52 AM ]
Just for context:

Onside Kick Success Rate Since 2018(New rules implemented): 12 out of 115 attempts = 10.4%
4th and 15+ Success Rate Since 2018: 5 out of 14 attempts = 35.7%

Pretty small sample size for the 4th and 15's but seems like this will definitely create a lot more extra possessions for trailing teams compared to the past couple years at least.
[ Edited by diehardniners408 on May 28, 2020 at 11:13 AM ]
Expect the Seahawks to win 3-4 games every year off of this rule alone.
  • thl408
Dumb gimmick rule. Good points about how this is another chance for the refs to screw up an important call or non-call.
Originally posted by thl408:
Dumb gimmick rule. Good points about how this is another chance for the refs to screw up an important call or non-call.

ya not a fan of it either. way too much of a gimmik. it would be like the nba letting you shoot again after you missed a game winning shot or whatever.
Cowherd is now saying this didn't pass...

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:

Wow going hard at the Kickers/punters. Bet he wouldn't say that s**t to Janikowskis face
Originally posted by Jcool:

I'm good with it.

Shouldn't make it that much easier(with the pro offense rules) to get extra possessions.
I would have been wholeheartedly in favor of this if it was longer than 4th and 15. The likelihood of a recovered onside kick needs to at least be in the same ballpark of the likelhood that a 4th down and __ is converted.

I would have done 4th and 20 or 4th and 25. That at least is closer.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
I would have been wholeheartedly in favor of this if it was longer than 4th and 15. The likelihood of a recovered onside kick needs to at least be in the same ballpark of the likelhood that a 4th down and __ is converted.

I would have done 4th and 20 or 4th and 25. That at least is closer.

4th and 15 was statistically around the same probability that's why the XFL used it. The problem becomes if a defensive penalty happens is it an automatic 1st down or a repeat attempt. Which if it's replacing an onside kick it should repeat attempt
Share 49ersWebzone