LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 250 users in the forums

T/G Halapoulivaati Vaitai

Shop 49ers game tickets
I read this and it seemed to make a lot of sense.

NOT giving up a first round pick and getting an immediate quality starter seemd too good to be true.

Thoughts??

Para_Trooper87 asks: What do you think is the answer to our left situation?
I think Halapoulivaati Vaitai of the Eagles makes far more sense than trading for Trent Williams, who is still holding out from Washington after not participating in the offseason program or training camp.
Vaitai, 26, is in the final year his rookie contract. Williams, 31, is one of the highest-paid tackles in the NFL and might want a new deal. The reasons against paying Ramsey apply here when it comes to Williams.
Vaitai is making just over $2 million this season with the Eagles. And he could be available for far less than Williams. Keep in mind, Philadelphia drafted tackle Andre Dillard in the first round in the spring, and he was the one to replace Jason Peters on Sunday in Atlanta when the veteran left the game with an injury.
With three tackles already above Vaitai on the depth chart, the Eagles should be preparing for his departure in free agency next spring, even if Peters ends up retiring. Vaitai is good enough to get paid a starter's salary elsewhere, so there's no incentive to return to the Eagles, who would be crazy to give him the franchise tag.
If that's the case, Philly would be wise to trade him during the season because he likely wouldn't bring back much in the form of a compensatory draft pick.
Remember, Vaitai replaced Lane Johnson and Peters in spurts throughout his four seasons in Philadelphia, including the final nine regular season games in 2017 and the playoffs, helping the Eagles beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl. He's used to filling in during pressure moments. Justin Skule is not.
If I were the 49ers, I'd offer the Eagles a fourth- or fifth-round pick for Vaitai and see if they bite. They might have to offer more if the Patriots come calling after they lost their starting left tackle, Isaiah Wynn, to injured reserve with a foot injury. And even after Staley comes back, Vaitai could play either guard spot, allowing San Francisco to improve its depth.
With Vaitai in a contract year, he'll likely be a model citizen when Staley comes back.
Read more here: https://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article235191742.html#storylink=cpy
I'm thinking it would be a great trade. He can be depth at guard and tackle if he doesn't take LT or Persons job after Staley returns. Maybe offer a 5th or 6th
Getting him for a 5th would be lovely.
It hurts my head to see his name. I think we pass.
Doesn't make sense from Philly's side of things. Peters is 37 years old guys.
True but I think they drafted his replacement this year no?
  • dj43
He might be a possibility, depending on how Skule plays this weekend. Vaitai is weak in PP but a decent run blocker.

With Brunskill also in the mix for a backup slot, we don't want to give up a draft spot unless we have to.
Originally posted by miked1978:

Big V
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Doesn't make sense from Philly's side of things. Peters is 37 years old guys.

And they drafted Dillard in the 1st (moved up for him) him and Lane are their long-term answer at tackles.

Also he's a FA after this yr...if he doesn't get on the field the comp they get in 2020 will be minimal.
I'd throw them a 5th and someone from the DL (backup) their DL is very banged up.

That would not be a bad trade. I wonder if Lynch has talked to them at all about this. I know hw spends a lot of time each day talking to other GM's about trades and other stuff.
Funny how I suggested we make a move to keep our streak going and keep our offense and Jimmy G going people wanted to shoot me. ??
Originally posted by elguapo:
True but I think they drafted his replacement this year no?

Yes it's in the article and Vaitai is 3rd on depth chart.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by miked1978:

Big V

Definitely makes more sense than T. Williams. I'd be happy with this guy for a day 3 pick.
Share 49ersWebzone