There are 285 users in the forums

Is McNabb a Hall of Famer?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Is McNabb a Hall of Famer?

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I wouldn't argue in favor of either. I'd agree with the premise of if no to Rivers, no to McNabb.

Rivers is on the next tier imo.
Originally posted by T-9ers:
Definitely not a sure thing, but Rivers is easily better than McNabb or Romo. It's the toughest position, you have to give QB's some extra credit. Team success is great but it shouldn't be exclusionary because not everyone gets drafted into a good organization. I think if you maintain your status as a top QB for 15 years in the league, the hall shouldn't be far off. Either way Rivers is about on the cusp and since McNabb isn't as good, I'd say no to McNabb.

How do you define "top" though?

For me, for a player to be considered a HOFer, he has to AT LEAST have been top 5 at his position for an overwhelming majority of his career. If you arent even the best of your current era, I dont see how you can be considered one of the best of all time.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by jcs:
Rivers needs to make a SB before you even consider it.

Rivers is absolutely a Hall of Famer, especially if Eli gets in. Eli has two rings but Rivers has consistently put up better numbers and been the better passer by a wide margin. By the time all is said and done, he likely will have over 450 passing TDs. Not sure how you keep him out after that.

The same arguments against Rivers are largely the same ones used against Frank Gore. "Never the best at his position", "never won a SB", "production based on longevity shouldn't be rewarded."
Rivers is borderline and so is Eli. Neither are top 3 in their generation and playing in this passer friendly Era is not going to help their numbers as it compares to those like Marino. Frank also carried this team to a SB something Rivers hasn't done and what he's accomplishing as a runner is far and away more difficult than what Rivers is doing thus far.
[ Edited by jcs on May 26, 2019 at 9:18 PM ]
who knows in this day and age.

As a football fan I never feared him, just like i never feared Troy Aikman. Both were pretty safe with a Football, and played their part well.

I think we put to many in the HOF.

For the record, I don't think Frank Gore is the best 49er running back, and would prefer Garrison Hearst or Roger Craig over him. If any 49er running back deserves the HOF its Roger.
I voted no but the HOF is a joke now so probably
Originally posted by teylo31:
I voted no but the HOF is a joke now so probably

that's really the problem …… not so much with QBs. I think all the modern era QBs have a sound argument. Hell one of the weakest ones has 4 super bowl rings.

But when you look at others, like Thurman Thomas at RB. Or Jerome Bettis. Those guys were great, but come one.... HOF? These are 4 yards a carry guys. Top 27 and top 40 in all time TDs. They don't have the YPC, they don't have the production.

I am not a huge fan of Gore getting in, but at least Gore is a life time 4.5 YPC guy and top 25 all time in TDs.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
How do you define "top" though?

For me, for a player to be considered a HOFer, he has to AT LEAST have been top 5 at his position for an overwhelming majority of his career. If you arent even the best of your current era, I dont see how you can be considered one of the best of all time.

I'm not necessarily on a pro Rivers crusade, but let's take a look at the best qb's of the last 10-15 years or so. Brady,Manning, Breese, Rodgers, Rapelsburger are locks. After that who? Without looking at stats or team success, id say Rivers is the best after those guys and if you consider he's been on inferior squads facing all time great qb's in the AFC and teams, he's pretty close. If being that good of a QB in the highest level of the game for that long of a time can't get you in, standards may be a little too unreasonable and unrealistic. That high of a standards is almost toxic for the game and the same type of standards that put T.O. in a year later than what he should have been.
[ Edited by T-9ers on May 26, 2019 at 11:01 PM ]
Originally posted by zeppfan1:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
This guy probably says no

I remember that, lol. Of course Philly fans do that for any pic they have.

Best draft reaction ever.
I think to be a hall of gamer you must be a winner. McNabb was above average for sure but i don't think he changed the game.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
He walks around like he's already a Hall of Famer.

Absolutely not.
Originally posted by T-9ers:
I'm not necessarily on a pro Rivers crusade, but let's take a look at the best qb's of the last 10-15 years or so. Brady,Manning, Breese, Rodgers, Rapelsburger are locks. After that who? Without looking at stats or team success, id say Rivers is the best after those guys and if you consider he's been on inferior squads facing all time great qb's in the AFC and teams, he's pretty close. If being that good of a QB in the highest level of the game for that long of a time can't get you in, standards may be a little too unreasonable and unrealistic. That high of a standards is almost toxic for the game and the same type of standards that put T.O. in a year later than what he should have been.

10-15 years puts a lot of dudes in the conversation ( kurt warner etc)
Russel Wilson is def on track to be the 6th guy of this generation. dudes got something like 200 tds against 60 picks.

We cant argue the possibility of the 7th or 8th guy (Rivers) (in a passing generation) be in HOF, and still take the HOF seriously.

That's the whole problem with the HOF and their let anyone in attitude.

after pulling the stats, McNabb is very much like his generation's version of a less productive Matty Ice. I certainly don't think Matt Ryan is HOF, so for me this kinda ends this debate in my mind.
[ Edited by Dshearn on May 27, 2019 at 6:53 AM ]
Originally posted by mayo49:
He walks around like he's already a Hall of Famer.

He should be proud of his body work and his legacy. Dude was making the offense work with guys that the league has forgotten before Owens and Jackson showed up.

I cant see him as HOF, but he should be proud of his work.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by jcs:
Rivers needs to make a SB before you even consider it.

Rivers is absolutely a Hall of Famer, especially if Eli gets in. Eli has two rings but Rivers has consistently put up better numbers and been the better passer by a wide margin. By the time all is said and done, he likely will have over 450 passing TDs. Not sure how you keep him out after that.

The same arguments against Rivers are largely the same ones used against Frank Gore. "Never the best at his position", "never won a SB", "production based on longevity shouldn't be rewarded."

Maybe because I've seen so many Frank Gore games, but Gore is a guy that wowed me. All the time. His ability to get more yards than what was blocked for is definitely elite. His ability to produce when there were no other offensive threats is up there. I'm definitely against Eli getting in. As for Rivers, yeah, he's kind of quietly passed for 50000 yards (great numbers) and idk how many TDs at this point. But he has had some talent, so the inferior squad argument isn't going to work. What's his special it factor that separates him?
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
I'll always remember him for Chunky Soup commercials, threw 3 INTs, throwing up on the sidelines in his only SB appearance
[ Edited by LVJay on May 27, 2019 at 9:44 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone