Originally posted by KittleMeThis:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Just realized he's younger than foster

is he really?

Yeah couple months foster is 25 and he's 24
Hoping to see this next yr

dang, nicd find NY, thanks for the link

It feels like we have the makings of a lights out roster if everyone can stay healthy and play to their potential!!!
When we got him people were pointing out that he led the league in missed tackles one year. The flip side is he also made a lot of tackles. He gets to more players with his speed but can't always make the stop. For me that's better than not getting to the ball carrier at all. At least he might slow the player down so another guy can make the tackle. You see this in baseball where a really great shortstop has more errors than some average SS because he gets to more balls and gets his glove on it but not enough to make the play.
  • C-Nut
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
When we got him people were pointing out that he led the league in missed tackles one year. The flip side is he also made a lot of tackles. He gets to more players with his speed but can't always make the stop. For me that's better than not getting to the ball carrier at all. At least he might slow the player down so another guy can make the tackle. You see this in baseball where a really great shortstop has more errors than some average SS because he gets to more balls and gets his glove on it but not enough to make the play.
Well said, that's a pretty good analogy
Any reports on his healing progress? How long before he is cleared to play?

He also has a 7 month head start on Foster with his ACL rehab.

Amen.
Originally posted by C-Nut:
Well said, that's a pretty good analogy

Agreed. He also has some pretty solid TFL numbers. Hopefully the quality of our D-line, those numbers go north of 10 on a regular basis.
Originally posted by ninerjok:

Yeah, but he also ISN'T Foster. Thank God.

Bad learning experience, but our guys did learn, by taking NickyB when the time came. They could have traded down, risked losing the best player in the draft for a pair of lower picks in rd 1...but it would have been a horrible move. We learned. As for Foster...i would have done it too, red flags be darned. But red flags mean ...well, STOP. Lesson learned.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KittleMeThis:

is he really?

Yeah couple months foster is 25 and he's 24

Wow

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerjok:

Ouch! Yeah, foster out with a knee. Didnt even think of that.
Originally posted by KamLeon:
Hoping to see this next yr

dang, nicd find NY, thanks for the link

It feels like we have the makings of a lights out roster if everyone can stay healthy and play to their potential!!!
De-cleation of the glamor boy! We have a few guys now who can do this.
Kwon is the one guy that has to have a great yr, or we aren't going anywhere. The 3rd down passes across the middle were GTD completions last yr and all of us got sick of a diet of that. Kwon plugs that hole, and we are an entirely different team.

KS/JL got us NickyB for the other side and now, for the first time since they came here, kyle and john have a D that can actually stop something. But Kwon has to stay healthy or we are going to see that krapt across the middle all yr. I've been saying the beads for his good health. It is key.
Damn, I got spoiled this offseason.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Kwon is the one guy that has to have a great yr, or we aren't going anywhere. The 3rd down passes across the middle were GTD completions last yr and all of us got sick of a diet of that. Kwon plugs that hole, and we are an entirely different team.

KS/JL got us NickyB for the other side and now, for the first time since they came here, kyle and john have a D that can actually stop something. But Kwon has to stay healthy or we are going to see that krapt across the middle all yr. I've been saying the beads for his good health. It is key.

I understand where you are coming from Doc, but I disagree. There's been a lot of talk about base defense stopping the run, well a nickel defense can also stop the run. But the trick of it is for that 8th man (the strong safety) to fill that 8th gap when the nickel crowds the line and each of the front 7 seals their gap. In the nickel the sam gets replaced by a DB, but I still think the most important coverage player is the strong safety in the kind of defense we play.

I think Cam Chancellor played that role for the SeaChickens, and I think Tart could play that role for us. The nickel isn't designed to stop the run, but if it can do a halfway decent job at stopping the run, it becomes a much more effective passing defense.

The next puzzle piece for this defense is that hybrid safety/linebacker. I'm hoping we can land one in the next draft cycle. We got the all important LEO in Dee Ford and Bosa, and to really make it a super bowl quality defense, that hybrid safety/linebacker is the last piece that can do it.
Share 49ersWebzone