There are 108 users in the forums

Which DL?

• FL9er
  • Veteran
Since we're doing STUPID nonsensical hypotheticals, which DL was better or would you rather have?

Pete Carroll era
LE Roy Barker
3T Bryant Young
NT Dana Stubblefield
RE Chris Doleman

Fangio era
LE Ray McDonald
NT Isaac Sopoaga
RE Justin Smith
Can I choose some DL's from the 80's? Those were some of my favorites.
Anything including BY. Can I have Justin Smith as well?
I get that it is DL but you should really just compare fronts which means you should add Brooks and Smith to Fangio era. With that distinction, I'm taking the Smith "brothers" every time. Love me some BY, but Justin Smith at his best was better IMO and Aldon Smith was the best pass rusher we have ever had as well.
Doleman, Stubby, Young and Barker is my favorite 49er d line.
Originally posted by FL9er:
Since we're doing STUPID nonsensical hypotheticals, which DL was better or would you rather have?

Pete Carroll era
LE Roy Barker
3T Bryant Young
NT Dana Stubblefield
RE Chris Doleman

Fangio era
LE Ray McDonald
NT Isaac Sopoaga
RE Justin Smith

With Bryan at Young and Stubblefield didn't one year they have 28 1/2 combined sacks? I want to say Dana had 16 1/2 and Bryan to Young at 12? Is that a record between two tackles? I think Doleman had Double digits sacks and barker had close to 10 as well. For a defensive line, that has got to be close to a record. I think Jacksonville last year was ridiculous
Originally posted by Waterbear:
I get that it is DL but you should really just compare fronts which means you should add Brooks and Smith to Fangio era. With that distinction, I'm taking the Smith "brothers" every time. Love me some BY, but Justin Smith at his best was better IMO and Aldon Smith was the best pass rusher we have ever had as well.

I agree Charles Haley and Aldon Smith were the best pass rushers we have ever had and Smith was on pace to break the all-time sack record or at least be a Hall of Fame player. What a waste. He got a lot of those sacks without Justin Smith's help if you see him one on one he simply blew up players in front of him and he was so quick.

Watching him sack Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson was amazing and forcing fumbles and recovering them all by himself. He was a menace I think he was even better than Von Miller and Mack. His first 4 years
In today's NFL, I'd go for that mid 90s D-line. We had a minimum of 3 guys that could get after the QB. Those Pete Carroll defenses we had were special. Although I do love Fangio's as well.
Originally posted by elguapo:

I agree Charles Haley and Aldon Smith were the best pass rushers we have ever had and Smith was on pace to break the all-time sack record or at least be a Hall of Fame player. What a waste. He got a lot of those sacks without Justin Smith's help if you see him one on one he simply blew up players in front of him and he was so quick.

Watching him sack Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilson was amazing and forcing fumbles and recovering them all by himself. He was a menace I think he was even better than Von Miller and Mack. His first 4 years

I hated when people said that Aldon smith only got sacks because of Justinn. Such BS. What a waste indeed he could have been an all time great.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FL9er:

Pete Carroll era
LE Roy Barker
3T Bryant Young
NT Dana Stubblefield
RE Chris Doleman

Fangio era
LE Ray McDonald
NT Isaac Sopoaga
RE Justin Smith
You go BY 9 out of 10 times...

Originally posted by elguapo:

I hated when people said that Aldon smith only got sacks because of Justinn. Such BS. What a waste indeed he could have been an all time great.

I'll never forget that sack/fumble in the NFCCG. It had me thinking, "We got this!" What could have been....
Share 49erswebzone