LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 237 users in the forums

Richard Hightower-Chicago Bears Special Teams Coach

Shop 49ers game tickets
This guy stinks.

This dude has the two best college returners in college ball in Dante Pettis and D.J. Reed and both were muff-city under his watch and lose their spot to a 7th round Richie James...who just muffed a punt in Seattle and turned the game on its head.

Every week ST coaches are coming up with creative ways to make a difference in games and he's completely invisible.

Without Raheem Mostert, he's a mess and his units give up TD's or huge gains. He's using Tarvarius Moore correctly as a gunner but apparently, he hasn't taught him a single thing on reading fair catches, how he can't be the first to touch the ball if pushed out of bounds, inside the 20 downing, etc.

Pinion is still inconsistent and taught to make shorter kicks with 30 second hang times and his long snapper just got tagged with a 10 game PED suspension. Robbie Gould seems to mask a lot.

The penalties are ridiculous too.

He could probably use this guy though:

As I was saying.
Why in that scenario were our guys not standing on the 1/2 yardline? How are player standing on the 10 yardline going to down a punt that lands within those 10 yards of the endzone?. Everyone not on the offensive staff needs to go. Saleh and his full staff, Hightower and his full staff.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Why in that scenario were our guys not standing on the 1/2 yardline? How are player standing on the 10 yardline going to down a punt that lands within those 10 yards of the endzone?. Everyone not on the offensive staff needs to go. Saleh and his full staff, Hightower and his full staff.

There is ZERO coaching from this guy. On a punt expected inside the 10, a whole line of players running down stop and watch the returner and none of them even watch the ball. The first guy down, if he's down there early should be covering the goal line. Unreal.

The dude is down to a broken-back Trent Taylor to field punts. Pathetic.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Could see a ton of change in this unit
Need Pettis returning punts, I thought that was a huge reason why we drafted him
Kinda hard to take this guy seriously when he says we have a gaping hole with zero punters on the roster, but we have signed Justin Vogel. Not saying special teams is not an issue, but that article makes it sound worse than it is.
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Need Pettis returning punts, I thought that was a huge reason why we drafted him

Why would you have the best wr chance being injured returning punts. Leave that up to the scrubs to take that punishment.
Originally posted by Izyniner:

Why would you have the best wr chance being injured returning punts. Leave that up to the scrubs to take that punishment.

Meh...lots of teams best/better DB's, WR's and RB's double as dynamic returners. There's absolutely no reason Pettis shouldn't be returning punts. He's dynamic. And if not him, Reed who was 2nd in the nation behind Pettis. Instead Hightower puts busted-back Taylor out there for his safe hands.

That's not a unit that's looking to win games.

Originally posted by Izyniner:

Meh...lots of teams best/better DB's, WR's and RB's double as dynamic returners. There's absolutely no reason Pettis shouldn't be returning punts. He's dynamic. And if not him, Reed who was 2nd in the nation behind Pettis. Instead Hightower puts busted-back Taylor out there for his safe hands.

That's not a unit that's looking to win games.

To be fair AB returned punts for a while. But we already have a quality returner in richie James.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
To be fair AB returned punts for a while. But we already have a quality returner in richie James.

Eh?
No more excuses for this guy being so remarkably vanilla and not developing a dynamic and threatening return game. He's got about 6 players with really good return production now and his punter can do this.

[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 28, 2019 at 7:55 AM ]
No more excuses for this guy being so remarkably vanilla and not developing a dynamic and threatening return game. He's got about 6 players with really good return production now and his punter can do this.

I don't think I've ever seen a kicker recover his own onside kick. WTF
Originally posted by Nastastical:
I don't think I've ever seen a kicker recover his own onside kick. WTF

It's pretty rare for sure.
Share 49ersWebzone