LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 283 users in the forums

Chicago Bears vs. San Francisco 49ers Rebuilding Plan

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
For all the love you all are giving Ryan Pace don't forget in 2017 he gave Mike Glennon a 3/45 million dollar contract.
And only like $18M of that was guaranteed, so it was essentially a one-year contract with an easy out for the team after that. Not a great deal by any stretch of the imagination, but hardly as bad as you're making it out to be.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
they lost LORD FANGIO, so I give us the edge in the rebuilding department atm.

1 playoff loss and 1 missed ez gw field goal = 2018 Bears, lost main reason defense was good.
0 playoff loss and 0 missed ez gw field goal = 2018 49ers, still retains reason defense was bad, but got assistants!

Ever since the Niners lost lord fangio, this defense has been bottom of the barrell bad

Of course the decline of defensive talent coincided with Fangio's leaving SF. Which gets back to the failure of the GM to restock that talent.
Originally posted by theduke85:
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
For all the love you all are giving Ryan Pace don't forget in 2017 he gave Mike Glennon a 3/45 million dollar contract.
And only like $18M of that was guaranteed, so it was essentially a one-year contract with an easy out for the team after that. Not a great deal by any stretch of the imagination, but hardly as bad as you're making it out to be.

the guy is atrocious.
  • dj43
Bears looking to hold onto their young stars. Just cleared $6M in cap space by cutting TE Dion Sims. Still have a long way to go.
Originally posted by dj43:
Bears looking to hold onto their young stars. Just cleared $6M in cap space by cutting TE Dion Sims. Still have a long way to go.

I had a second to do this, DJ. Thoughts?

These are the players they will most likely let walk (UFA - 2018 cap figure): Kevin White (WR-27-$4,140,762), Aaron Lynch (DE-26-$4,000,000), Josh Bellamy (WR-30-$1,907,000), Eric Kush (G-29-$1,350,000), Benny Cunningham (RB-29-$1,050,000), Daniel Brown (TE-27-$925,000), Bryan Witzmann (G-29-$790,000), Zach Miller (TE-34-$790,000), Marcus Williams (CB-28-$790,000) & Nick Williams (DT-29-$705,000)

These are the in-house UFA players they probably want to resign (Projected Cost): Adrian Amos (FS-26-$10,000,000 [Eric Reid $7.35M APY]), Bryce Callahan (SCB-27-$6,000,000 [K'Wuan Williams $2.95M APY]), Pat O'Donnell (P-28-$2,000,000), Patrick Scales (LS-31-$1,000,000) & Michael Burton (FB-27-$2,000,000). Total = $21,000,000

These are the pre-June cuts to clear cap space (Note: post-June cuts are significantly more): Dion Sims ($6,000,000), Chase Daniel (32 - $3,000,000), Sam Acho (30 - $2,125,000), Nick Kwiatkoski (25 - $2,000,000), Sherrick McManis (31 - $1,693,750), Bradley Sowell (29 - $1,500,000), Jonathan Bullard (25 - $820,000) & Deon Bush (25 - $720,000). Total = $17,858,750 + $7,299,741 (cap space before the $10M increase) = $25,158,491

If they get really desperate, albeit, unlikely, but these are big (pre-June cap savings): Danny Trevathan (28 - $6,400,000), Charles Leno (27 - $6,200,000), Akiem Hicks (29 - $5,600,000), Kyle Long (30 - $5,500,000) or Jordan Howard (24 - $2,000,000)

Rookie Pool = Roughly $9M

They'll be just fine.
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 20, 2019 at 6:53 PM ]

Sims used to be good? Kinda like Celek time
Leave it to the bears to completely ruin a good offensive player
Originally posted by elguapo:

LOL. I'm curious to see how Nagy is going to evolve the offense this year. Last year they passed the least in the league while somehow not leaning on their running game (a strength the previous year). Trubisky needs to evolve if they want to take the next step forward. Nagy probably went conservative year 1 of the offensive system esp. given the strength of their defense. But with Fangio gone, they are going to have to turn it up if they want to make the playoffs again and win the division.
  • dj43
Originally posted by NCommand:

I had a second to do this, DJ. Thoughts?

These are the players they will most likely let walk (UFA - 2018 cap figure): Kevin White (WR-27-$4,140,762), Aaron Lynch (DE-26-$4,000,000), Josh Bellamy (WR-30-$1,907,000), Eric Kush (G-29-$1,350,000), Benny Cunningham (RB-29-$1,050,000), Daniel Brown (TE-27-$925,000), Bryan Witzmann (G-29-$790,000), Zach Miller (TE-34-$790,000), Marcus Williams (CB-28-$790,000) & Nick Williams (DT-29-$705,000)

These are the in-house UFA players they probably want to resign (Projected Cost): Adrian Amos (FS-26-$10,000,000 [Eric Reid $7.35M APY]), Bryce Callahan (SCB-27-$6,000,000 [K'Wuan Williams $2.95M APY]), Pat O'Donnell (P-28-$2,000,000), Patrick Scales (LS-31-$1,000,000) & Michael Burton (FB-27-$2,000,000). Total = $21,000,000

These are the pre-June cuts to clear cap space (Note: post-June cuts are significantly more): Dion Sims ($6,000,000), Chase Daniel (32 - $3,000,000), Sam Acho (30 - $2,125,000), Nick Kwiatkoski (25 - $2,000,000), Sherrick McManis (31 - $1,693,750), Bradley Sowell (29 - $1,500,000), Jonathan Bullard (25 - $820,000) & Deon Bush (25 - $720,000). Total = $17,858,750 + $7,299,741 (cap space before the $10M increase) = $25,158,491

If they get really desperate, albeit, unlikely, but these are big (pre-June cap savings): Danny Trevathan (28 - $6,400,000), Charles Leno (27 - $6,200,000), Akiem Hicks (29 - $5,600,000), Kyle Long (30 - $5,500,000) or Jordan Howard (24 - $2,000,000)

Rookie Pool = Roughly $9M

They'll be just fine.

You had a SECOND?

That was a L-O-N-G second.

Seriously, thanks for all the work. I don't have any major disagreements with the selections or numbers. The only comments would be that I don't think they cut Lynch unless things get really tight. Also, as I noted earlier, Callahan will get more than you are estimating. Amos may get more as well due to the interest he will draw from teams that need a talented all-round guy.
You had a SECOND?

Seriously, thanks for all the work. I don't have any major disagreements with the selections or numbers. The only comments would be that I don't think they cut Lynch unless things get really tight. Also, as I noted earlier, Callahan will get more than you are estimating. Amos may get more as well due to the interest he will draw from teams that need a talented all-round guy.

Shoot, I do this kind of work in my sleep. But thank you. You did inspire me after all.

Bryce is certainly good enough to play outside so that should garner much more. Amos could possibly go higher but Reid's recent contract reset the market back to closer than normal after a full year of seriously low S contracts. But he is listed as a FS so he might be able to push closer to ET money.

Now let's see what Pace actually does.

• dj43
You had a SECOND?

Shoot, I do this kind of work in my sleep. But thank you. You did inspire me after all.

Bryce is certainly good enough to play outside so that should garner much more. Amos could possibly go higher but Reid's recent contract reset the market back to closer than normal after a full year of seriously low S contracts. But he is listed as a FS so he might be able to push closer to ET money.

I hope you don't toss and turn in your sleep.

There was such a wide gap in performance between Reid and Amos that I don't think Reid's deal will have much juice in the end. It will be worth watching to see if the marker "recovers" after last off-season. That having been said, none of those last few safeties to sign were even close to Amos in class. It will be very interesting to see what happens if the Bears let him test the market (unlikely).
You had a SECOND?

I hope you don't toss and turn in your sleep.

There was such a wide gap in performance between Reid and Amos that I don't think Reid's deal will have much juice in the end. It will be worth watching to see if the marker "recovers" after last off-season. That having been said, none of those last few safeties to sign were even close to Amos in class. It will be very interesting to see what happens if the Bears let him test the market (unlikely).

LMAO.

Check this one out too. That's huge for Callahan!

[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 21, 2019 at 4:23 PM ]

LOL. I'm curious to see how Nagy is going to evolve the offense this year. Last year they passed the least in the league while somehow not leaning on their running game (a strength the previous year). Trubisky needs to evolve if they want to take the next step forward. Nagy probably went conservative year 1 of the offensive system esp. given the strength of their defense. But with Fangio gone, they are going to have to turn it up if they want to make the playoffs again and win the division.

I think the Minnesota wins it this year because the bears defense will take a small step back most likely and in my opinion. The offense will stay close to the same. I think Mitch is not a good quarterback and I don't know how easily it is to fix accuracy but given the history of the NFL it's pretty hard.
  • dj43
LMAO.

Check this one out too. That's huge for Callahan!

That is huge. Every agent for every slot/nickel will now use that as the barometer of the ask.

Callahan gonna get paid.

I think the Minnesota wins it this year because the bears defense will take a small step back most likely and in my opinion. The offense will stay close to the same. I think Mitch is not a good quarterback and I don't know how easily it is to fix accuracy but given the history of the NFL it's pretty hard.

That's very plausible.
Share 49ersWebzone