LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 142 users in the forums

WR Dante "Do something...anything" Pettis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
Originally posted by mutant-man49:
It's clear he didn't work at his craft this past offseason. He thought he could get by on his ability alone. I wouldn't give up on him cuz we've seen players turn it around after opening their careers slowly. It's all on Pettis though. How much does he want it? how much does the game mean to him? Time will tell

i think craft and toughness/physicality are 2 different things.

I'm mean - didn't John and Kyle do their homework before drafting this guy?

I've become convinced that Lynch's influence is on defense (and with the Stanford guys), and Shannahan has an influence on the offensive side, especially with guys he has become enamored with. Take Joe Williams for example. Shanny pushed hard for him and Lynch finally relented:

None of the background issues were known to the 49ers in the weeks leading up to the draft. Kyle Shanahan remained enamored by his talent, and on Friday, was hoping the 49ers would be able to land him on Saturday. He discussed it with John Lynch, and made it clear how much he coveted Williams' talent.

Lynch remained concerned about Williams' decision to leave the Utah football team, and so he spoke with Kyle Whittingham, and then had a 30 minute call with Williams. He realized the background to the decision, and after another quick look at the tape, told Peter king, they needed to get him.

"Screw it," he said to himself Saturday morning. "I'm going to try to jump up and get this guy."

Pettis absolutely fit the profile of guys that Shanny likes (hybrid player you can put anywhere)

"We feel he fills a lot of spots for us. We're happy with our group. We have a lot of good players before we got Pettis. We think Pettis does a little bit of everything. I think we can use him sometimes similar to how we use Marquise (Goodwin), if need be. I think we can use him inside, similar to how we use Trent (Taylor), if need be. And I think he has the hands and the toughness, and we can use him similar to Pierre (Garçon). In the meantime, he's going to be a very good punt returner, too. He can help you on all four downs" -- Shanahan.

But the red-flags where there from the beginning. Other teams shied away from him due to the fear he was committed to his outside interests more than football. I don't know, I feel like Shanny needs to stick with his X and O wizardry and leave the rest to the scouts...not sure he is best at talent evaluation.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/115999-pettis-interests-outside-football-nfl-teams-question-commitment/
[ Edited by Niners_D on Nov 20, 2019 at 11:57 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by cciowa:
"Coaches Doghouses" don't have to be permanent. He has played like s**t this year, but he's also shown glimpses of being able to play. Its the old adage if you can show it once then its in there and can be realized and shown again. It's on Dante no doubt but it's not a good practice to be giving up on a player after 26 games especially when they have shown glimpses of what made you want to draft them. Just like it was smart keeping Ward and Armstead despite the b***hing and moaning about their situations.

This quote doesn't sound like a guy ready to giveup on a player:
"He's had a number of opportunities," head coach Kyle Shanahan said of Pettis last week. "I'm one of the guys that believe in him the most. That's why he's here. He's had his opportunities. The more he doesn't take advantage of his opportunities, the less opportunities he gets."

i think the key lies in what follows after , thats why he is here

We will have our answer soon enough....If Pettis starts to be a part of the inactives then we will have our answer. If he continues to be a part of the 46 then he still is technically in a position to get opportunities. I really don't care either way because Kyle and John have hedged their bets by bringing in Deebo and Sanders. I am still of the opinion you don't cut loose a 2nd round pick after 2 seasons we they have at least shown glimpses.

Snap counts are everything and he's gone from a high of 59 now down to 3...2...1...0 depending on who you ask. LOL.

But that's not important right now. El Gato has a more pressing issue. Can anyone help?

Ouch!

Sigh... looks like he's a hopeless case.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by cciowa:
"Coaches Doghouses" don't have to be permanent. He has played like s**t this year, but he's also shown glimpses of being able to play. Its the old adage if you can show it once then its in there and can be realized and shown again. It's on Dante no doubt but it's not a good practice to be giving up on a player after 26 games especially when they have shown glimpses of what made you want to draft them. Just like it was smart keeping Ward and Armstead despite the b***hing and moaning about their situations.

This quote doesn't sound like a guy ready to giveup on a player:
"He's had a number of opportunities," head coach Kyle Shanahan said of Pettis last week. "I'm one of the guys that believe in him the most. That's why he's here. He's had his opportunities. The more he doesn't take advantage of his opportunities, the less opportunities he gets."

i think the key lies in what follows after , thats why he is here

We will have our answer soon enough....If Pettis starts to be a part of the inactives then we will have our answer. If he continues to be a part of the 46 then he still is technically in a position to get opportunities. I really don't care either way because Kyle and John have hedged their bets by bringing in Deebo and Sanders. I am still of the opinion you don't cut loose a 2nd round pick after 2 seasons we they have at least shown glimpses.

Snap counts are everything and he's gone from a high of 59 now down to 3...2...1...0 depending on who you ask. LOL.

But that's not important right now. El Gato has a more pressing issue. Can anyone help?

Pro-football-reference is saying he missed the last game with a back injury and is questionable for Sunday.

What is exactly the deal on the injury front? All I cared about last week was Kittle and Sanders. What was his status going in. I don't think if he's truly in the doghouse as expected they'd be making up injuries for him.
Originally posted by pete98146:
I think we absolutely clean house in the offseason for WRs. Gone will be Goodwin, Pettis, perhaps Trent Taylor. I think we keep Bourne because he has some talent. Wouldn't surprise me if we draft receiver #1.

I don't think we will have a whole sale cleaning this off-season because we have we have so few draft picks to bargain. Competition for for playing time should be intense though.

Health permitting, all of those players should be retained.

IMO, the OL will be the focal point of acquisitions.

The passing game will be adequate if we have a reliable running attack.
[ Edited by WestCoastForever on Nov 20, 2019 at 12:02 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Pro-football-reference is saying he missed the last game with a back injury and is questionable for Sunday.

What is exactly the deal on the injury front? All I cared about last week was Kittle and Sanders. What was his status going in. I don't think if he's truly in the doghouse as expected they'd be making up injuries for him.

He looked all pro and pretty healthy in patting Wilson's bum.

How can you get hurt when you avoid contact?
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
Safe to say Kyle learned his lesson and the direct reaction was picking tougher receivers like Hurd and Deebo.

And Hurd is out for the year but ok.

Also, it's great that he learned his lesson, but now we are out a 2nd from 2018, picks number 59 and 74 from 2018, plus next year's 3rd and 4th rounders for this mistake.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WestCoastForever:
I think we absolutely clean house in the offseason for WRs. Gone will be Goodwin, Pettis, perhaps Trent Taylor. I think we keep Bourne because he has some talent. Wouldn't surprise me if we draft receiver #1.

I don't think we will have a whole sale cleaning this off-season because we have we have so few draft picks to bargain. Competition for for playing time should be intense though.

The OL will be the focal point of a acquisitions. The passing game will be adequate if we have a reliable running attack.

I think Goodwin, Pettis and Trent Taylor are on the bubble of making it on the team next year, specially if Emanuel is retained somehow, and if Hurd gets healthy and does a Deebo Samuel imitation next year. Borne, Richi James, DeeBo, Emanuel, possibly Hurd - that's 5 that are tough to beat in making the team. I just think the emergence of Dwelley, Brunskill, and Skule makes the OLine and TE squad deep. Breida, Colman, Mostert, and Wilson makes the RB squad very strong (Wilson being -as anther poster said - is a red zone machine). That leaves the WR as a weak spot on the offensive side of that ball. So if I was Kyle, I'd spend some draft capital on the WR squad in the next draft.
He landed pretty hard, face first with no support, trying to keep his feet inbound, when the Seattle defender shoved him to the ground on the first catch attempt. Wonder if that was the lingering injury...
Originally posted by Giedi:
Ouch!

Maybe Rashaun Woods can give him some fishing tips instead.

Congrats on Middlekauff for calling this spoiled, passive snot-nosed shell of a man out. Dude needs to be grilled at every opportunity.
Originally posted by ltrain:
Ouch!

I knew that would be reported. I wouldn't be surprised if Kyle also references it too to deflect the media questions. But it's most likely B.S. given Sanders played with separated ribs and Deebo, shoulder and we all know Kittle was begging to play. My bet is he had an injury as much as Mitch Trubisky did before he was, er, benched. Haha. IMHO, he's not only in the doghouse but Kyle locked it shut and put it out front inside the recycling bin.
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 20, 2019 at 12:15 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ers4u:
Originally posted by ltrain:
Ouch!

Yeah, Rashaun Woods and that Coffee dude too. I think Coffee retired during his first year and went into the military (or something like that) and after that, tried to get back in the NFL. But yeah, he's having close to zero snap counts and he's focused on playing star wars. Oh my!
Originally posted by WestCoastForever:

The OL will be the focal point of a acquisitions. The passing game will be adequate if we have a reliable running attack.

I think Goodwin, Pettis and Trent Taylor are on the bubble of making it on the team next year, specially if Emanuel is retained somehow, and if Hurd gets healthy and does a Deebo Samuel imitation next year. Borne, Richi James, DeeBo, Emanuel, possibly Hurd - that's 5 that are tough to beat in making the team. I just think the emergence of Dwelley, Brunskill, and Skule makes the OLine and TE squad deep. Breida, Colman, Mostert, and Wilson makes the RB squad very strong (Wilson being -as anther poster said - is a red zone machine). That leaves the WR as a weak spot on the offensive side of that ball. So if I was Kyle, I'd spend some draft capital on the WR squad in the next draft.

Good points, given the limited number of roster spots.

Nevertheless, the team has taken a unit by unit approach to personnel, expecting to see players step up. The OL is next up.

As I see it, the WR that is on the bubble is Welker.

I'm hoping, however, that Welker will reproduce his go-to powers in Pettis, like NOW. Perhaps we are seeing Welker's impression showing up on Deebo.
[ Edited by WestCoastForever on Nov 20, 2019 at 12:20 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone