LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 286 users in the forums

Fully Guaranteed Contract

Shop 49ers game tickets
With Cousins signing his 3 years, $84m FULLY guaranteed contract with MIN, history is being made. This is the first fully guaranteed contract in the NFL. I'm surprised the MIN went this route, more or less making it harder for the rest of the teams in the NFL to plan ahead in the future whereas a salary cap is concerned.

What do you guys think? I know the NFL is behind MLB and NBA when it comes to contracts being guaranteed but do you guys think this will hinder how teams operate how they sign people, esp. the cream of the crop?
I think Lynch and Paraag are geniuses and Jimmy should smack his agent for not waiting a month.
If it was a 5 or 6 year deal that was fully guaranteed, then I think this would be a big deal.

Since its a 3 year deal, I dont think this is a big deal at all, and wont change a thing.
Hope it's a new trend, players deserve guaranteed contracts.
Originally posted by niners94:

This. Should have happened decades ago.
Originally posted by TheRambler:
Originally posted by niners94:

This. Should have happened decades ago.

Yep. Meanwhile baseball players scratch their balls, chew gum and stand still but get guaranteed deals
Originally posted by tjd808185:
I think Lynch and Paraag are geniuses and Jimmy should smack his agent for not waiting a month.

good deal overall and in 4 years (30 years old) he will get another monster contract.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kidash98:
With Cousins signing his 3 years, $84m FULLY guaranteed contract with MIN, history is being made. This is the first fully guaranteed contract in the NFL. I'm surprised the MIN went this route, more or less making it harder for the rest of the teams in the NFL to plan ahead in the future whereas a salary cap is concerned.

What do you guys think? I know the NFL is behind MLB and NBA when it comes to contracts being guaranteed but do you guys think this will hinder how teams operate how they sign people, esp. the cream of the crop?

Not sure how repeatable this will be....Cousins had an incredible amount of leverage.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
If it was a 5 or 6 year deal that was fully guaranteed, then I think this would be a big deal.

Since its a 3 year deal, I dont think this is a big deal at all, and wont change a thing.
Pretty much this. It's still a ton of guaranteed money, but it's not that radical.
Originally posted by jcs:

Not sure how repeatable this will be....Cousins had an incredible amount of leverage.

This, healthy franchise QB hitting FA almost never happens.

Precedent has been set with this contract. Now, if an all-pro gets the chance to hit FA, he can request for a guaranteed contract and use Cousin as the catalyst of the deal.
  • jcs
  • Veteran

Precedent has been set with this contract. Now, if an all-pro gets the chance to hit FA, he can request for a guaranteed contract and use Cousin as the catalyst of the deal.

All Pro Norwell didn't get a guaranteed deal. I think this has more to do with Cousins being a Franchise QB under 30 who couldn't get resigned by his old team because they fudged up that scenario.
Originally posted by theduke85:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

Pretty much this. It's still a ton of guaranteed money, but it's not that radical.

It is IF IT becomes the standard and with a lot of top tier players with their contract either ending or soon to end, can use it as the selling point for their service.
If vikings think highly of cousins then good for cousins.
Great for the QBs bad for the teams. Minnesota is lucky it's only 3 years but now what if one of their WRs or young defensive players wants a guaranteed deal? They have set the precedent for their franchise. Football players on guaranteed contracts doesn't work if there is a cap imo. What if you can't cut a player to make room for other signings or needs? Stupid move even if they win a SB. It's stupid for the business of the team long term. But whatever not my team or my money. Cousins agents played hardball I guess but the guarantees are at least in line with what QBs have been getting. It's just the idea of no relief if he sucks or gets hurt badly.
Share 49ersWebzone