LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 185 users in the forums

Where does the Diggs Catch Rank for All Time Finishes?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Where does the Diggs Catch Rank for All Time Finishes?

• cciowa
  • Veteran
taking fandom out of. the immaculate reception is the top crazy play to end a play off game cuz it was the last play. the catch almost meant nothing cuz dallas almost ran back the ensuing kickoff
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Really? I didn't know that.

What about immaculate reception?

[edit] There was a few seconds left after the reception. NVM
the kids do not know what this is
Top 20, but maybe higher if they go on to win the SB

Being the last play elevates it. Jacoby Jones scoring over Rahim Moore was a similar play, outside of the time left on the clock
Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:

Being the last play elevates it. Jacoby Jones scoring over Rahim Moore was a similar play, outside of the time left on the clock

That play only forced OT
The Favre to Greg Lewis TD in 2009 was the better Vikings finish. Not the same stakes, but a more improbable and impressive play.

I was SO pissed. It felt like Favre would never stop haunting us.
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:

That play only forced OT
Originally posted by cciowa:
taking fandom out of. the immaculate reception is the top crazy play to end a play off game cuz it was the last play. the catch almost meant nothing cuz dallas almost ran back the ensuing kickoff
The plays are still significant though because the Ravens/us don't go on to win without those plays.

It's like the David Tyree catch in Super Bowl XLII. Was it the final play? No. Was it even a scoring play? No. But everyone talks about it as one of the most significant plays ever because without it the Giants don't win.

I do think the Diggs catch is special though in the sense that it has that "shock" factor of being the very last play with an improbable outcome in the postseason. That alone makes it a top 10 play. If the Vikings go on to win the Super Bowl I would love to see people come up with 10 more plays more significant. I personally would have trouble counting 5.

Even if the Vikings lose next week, it's still the most significant play in Vikings franchise history.
[ Edited by Fanaticofnfl on Jan 15, 2018 at 9:54 PM ]
I voted Top 20 … the catch sends them to the NFCCG, not the SB !
Originally posted by crabman82:
Excluding OT finishes and end of regulation fgs, its the only walk off play for a td in the history of the playoffs. That alone has it sitting pretty high

Yeah I'm obviously not even a Vikings fan and that play had me up off my seat -- one of, if not the most insane finishes to a game I've ever seen, especially in the playoffs. If they win the Super Bowl, it has to go down as a Top 5 - 10 "moment" in NFL History.
Hey, wait a minute. Whay about Young-to-Owens vs Green Bay? Wasn't that walk off?

[edit] NVM 3 seconds left. Dang.
[ Edited by brodiebluebanaszak on Jan 16, 2018 at 3:10 PM ]
Originally posted by cciowa:

the kids do not know what this is

There are alot of great playoff finishes.

Wow people on here pretty harsh on the play. I thought one of the more memerable endings I've ever seen period. Bonus points that it was technically a walk off TD.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
My least favorite finish of all time.

including victory formation kneel downs

Haha well this particular finish cost me a +975 parlay....so yeah f*** Diggs, and most importantly, f*** Marcus Williams.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
My least favorite finish of all time.

lol I suppose the fact that it cost you a lot of money had something to do with this

DIdnt read your post above Steve until after I posted this. That does really suck big time
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Jan 16, 2018 at 4:27 PM ]
Extremely memorable. Would rate it top 10.

The thing that stands out for me is that nobody saw it coming at all.

You could say that about a lot of finishes, but the difference is you often knew what the objective was or what they were attempting to do. You knew Montana was going for a TD, he had no choice, you just had no idea how they were going to pull it off.

This one though, I doubt there was a player on the field, a person on the sidelines, crowd, tv etc who were thinking touchdown. All anybody was thinking was field goal range and out of bounds.

I think that's part of why Williams whiffed so bad. He was thinking horizontally about getting between the receiver and the sidelines and completely forgot about it vertically.

Is it as good as the catch, hell no, but it's the complete surprise of the unintended outcome, plus the infamy of Williams play that will make this one of those moments that is always remembered and referenced, especially if the Vikings get up and win it all.
Share 49ersWebzone