There are 127 users in the forums

Should The Pats have traded Brady instead?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Should The Pats have traded Brady instead?

Originally posted by English:
So how long will Brady play for? I give him 2 years.

If that, history isnt on his side. A drop off in play is coming soon
If they were smart they would have traded Brady. They could have gotten a 1+. Brady has at MOST a few years left. He will not be playing into his mid 40's.
Originally posted by WINiner:
If they were smart they would have traded Brady. They could have gotten a 1+. Brady has at MOST a few years left. He will not be playing into his mid 40's.

Was thinkin the same. Compensation for him wouldve been crazy. QB of the future on the roster and a chance to reload, wouldve set themselves up nicely.
[ Edited by VDpwndMjenkins on Jan 1, 2018 at 5:39 PM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VDpwndMjenkins:

History wasn't on his side this year and he threw for 4,577 yards and 32 TDs.
Absolutely, yes, I would have traded Brady. Maybe let him play out the 2017 season, in the off-season franchise Garoppolo as the starter for 2018, and then trade Brady. I love Brady, but dude is 40, that age wall is coming faster than he might think. The Patriots better hope Brady can defy the odds and play at a high level for the next two seasons while they find a new heir apparent to replace him, because they foolishly just got rid of their Steve Young and have nothing backing up their Montana.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
I said yes. I saw the 49ers in a similar position with Montana and Young. It hurt, but it was also the right move and the right thing to do for both players.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
No, Brady is amazing and the way he prepares can play for another 3 years, and maybe win another couple of Super Bowls.

Also a big factor is that he's played on team friendly deals for ages, can't screw him over now.

They had a feeling Jimmy would be great, but the sample size was way too small to trade Brady.

They did the right thing, thankfully for us

I feel the bolded, good points. We had 3 years of Young to look at, we knew what we had.

They would just say you can't trade King Brady
Originally posted by Geeked:
I said yes. I saw the 49ers in a similar position with Montana and Young. It hurt, but it was also the right move and the right thing to do for both players.

I think it was a different situation though. Montana hadnt played in 2 years and while he was out Young was the MVP of the league. Given their ages, Joe's injuries, and Young's success, I dont think the Niners had any choice but to deal Joe.

There is no way New England could trade Brady given that he is still playing at an elite level and the team is the odds on favorite to make it to the SB again. There only realistic move was to trade Jimmy. They just screwed up on the timing and the return.
dude's about to win another super bowl

he's about to win another SB, so I don't see why it matters.
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
he's about to win another SB, so I don't see why it matters.

Bc Jimmy G will win more SBs in the next 10 years
With the news of the turmoil in NE between Kraft n BB, BB wanted to go the Walsh route as I suspected. The smarter decision imo. Run him n his circus out of town
[ Edited by VDpwndMjenkins on Jan 5, 2018 at 12:09 AM ]
Originally posted by Jcool:

History wasn't on his side this year and he threw for 4,577 yards and 32 TDs.

No one is arguing with what is on the table right now. The point is, in 2 years unless they are incredibly lucky they are going to start regretting this.
Of course they should have traded Brady. The franchise is bigger than any one player and Jimmy G. could have kept them in the hunt for Super Bowl titles for the next 10 years to come. Brady, on the other hand, has only a couple of years left at the top. Robert Kraft has let sentimentality cloud his judgement and his franchise is going to pay a heavy price for it in the future.
[ Edited by TWD_Fan on Jan 5, 2018 at 3:42 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone