LISTEN: 49ers Master The Later Rounds Of The Draft →

There are 124 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Just protect Jimmy.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Just protect Jimmy.

His supporters are doing a good job of that.
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by OhioNiner:
Okay

So then why respond to me specifically on the point when I literally said in the thread that making comparisons between Jimmy and Joe Montana or Jimmy and Mahomes wasn't a good idea?

I honestly think you're not happy or fulfilled in this particular thread unless you can meet your personal quota (whatever that Is) of subtle and direct "Get rid of Jimmy ASAP" posts and comments.

Which is your right I guess and is part of the discussion. But it almost assuredly ain't happening between now and the start of the 2021 season. At least not at this point and by any appearances here on March 2, 2021.

This is easy. I responded to you because you were repeating some often-seen rhetoric about the WRs Mahomes has vs the ones Jimmy (and others) have.

1st,...Jimmy's arm and abilities are commendable, but limited. He'd never get even close to Mahomes' numbers with the same supporting cast. They are just different.

2nd...this is a self-filfilling prophecy,...as the main reason you respect Mahomes' supporting cast to begin with is because of what he's been able to accomplish with them the last several years.

And conversely, of course we've never brought in great pass catchers to help Jimmy,...because he'll never bump them up a notch like a # of other QBs are able to. Posters that repeat this mantra will - to their selves at least - always be right.

In the end, it doesn't matter that if you take Mahomes' supporting cast away, he wouldn't look as good. What matters is if you give most QBs his same or a comparable supporting cast, he smokes them.

What can you do with the tools you have? #AllThatMatters

I don't know, I think we saw a weakness in Mahomes' game and that is the inability to run the offense on time on a consistent basis. He turned into an ad-lib player who has the best outlet player (Kelce) and another great player in Hill to bail him out. Mahomes wasn't looking all that great against us in the SB. If that big blown coverage on the 3rd down play doesn't happen, Mahomes wasn't playing all that well whereas Jimmy was at that point.

It's easy to say player 1 is better than player 2 if player 1's team is the winning team. To me, Jimmy has elite throwing ability but in a different way. He just doesn't have that over the top strong arm that throws 35 yard lasers with ease. However, he has a throwing ability that Mahomes and other QBs don't have and that's the ability to make a throw in an instant with only an inch of space to throw. I think Aaron Rodgers is the only player that can throw like JG and like Mahomes.

Now, JG's only problem has been staying healthy for long enough to master his system. With his throwing ability, just wait until he gets to a point where he can adjust the primary receiver in the offense because he has mastered being able to read what the defense is showing him. IF JG can get to this level, with his throwing ability, it will be like playing catch. And there are not many defensive players that are able to jump on his ball quick enough because his release is so quick.
[ Edited by Joecool on Mar 2, 2021 at 8:18 AM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
I don't know, I think we saw a weakness in Mahomes' game and that is the inability to run the offense on time on a consistent basis. He turned into an ad-lib player who has the best outlet player (Kelce) and another great player in Hill to bail him out. Mahomes wasn't looking all that great against us in the SB. If that big blown coverage on the 3rd down play doesn't happen, Mahomes wasn't playing all that well whereas Jimmy was at that point.

It's easy to say player 1 is better than player 2 if player 1's team is the winning team. To me, Jimmy has elite throwing ability but in a different way. He just doesn't have that over the top strong arm that throws 35 yard lasers with ease. However, he has a throwing ability that Mahomes and other QBs don't have and that's the ability to make a throw in an instant with only an inch of space to throw. I think Aaron Rodgers is the only player that can throw like JG and like Mahomes.

Now, JG's only problem has been staying healthy for long enough to master his system. With his throwing ability, just wait until he gets to a point where he can adjust the primary receiver in the offense because he has mastered being able to read what the defense is showing him. IF JG can get to this level, with his throwing ability, it will be like playing catch. And there are not many defensive players that are able to jump on his ball quick enough because his release is so quick.
Really? I thought Jimmy was supposed to have mastered the offense in 2019. Did he forget it in 2020? If he doesn't know the offense after all the time he's spent with Kyle then he never will.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

Really? I thought Jimmy was supposed to have mastered the offense in 2019. Did he forget it in 2020? If he doesn't know the offense after all the time he's spent with Kyle then he never will.
going into year 5 with Jimmy.. he should be a Jedi
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
going into year 5 with Jimmy.. he should be a Jedi

Actually it's year 4 since he came late in 2017. I'll even give him a little pass since there wasn't any camp last year. Still, he's been here long enough to know this offense as well as he ever will. Even during the injury years, he's still sitting in meetings and watching film. At least he should be. He's seen enough live action over his time in the NFL and watched enough film that he should be able to recognize the defenses. The problem is he doesn't seem to process everything quick enough. He's not alone since that's a problem with a lot of QBs in the NFL.

I've always felt that nearly all QBs that are good enough to get signed by an NFL team have enough physical ability to be at least adequate. Some obviously have more talent and can become great but even those guys don't always make it and it's usually between the ears that makes the difference. Some guys just process info faster.
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by OhioNiner:
Okay

So then why respond to me specifically on the point when I literally said in the thread that making comparisons between Jimmy and Joe Montana or Jimmy and Mahomes wasn't a good idea?

I honestly think you're not happy or fulfilled in this particular thread unless you can meet your personal quota (whatever that Is) of subtle and direct "Get rid of Jimmy ASAP" posts and comments.

Which is your right I guess and is part of the discussion. But it almost assuredly ain't happening between now and the start of the 2021 season. At least not at this point and by any appearances here on March 2, 2021.

This is easy. I responded to you because you were repeating some often-seen rhetoric about the WRs Mahomes has vs the ones Jimmy (and others) have.

1st,...Jimmy's arm and abilities are commendable, but limited. He'd never get even close to Mahomes' numbers with the same supporting cast. They are just different.

2nd...this is a self-filfilling prophecy,...as the main reason you respect Mahomes' supporting cast to begin with is because of what he's been able to accomplish with them the last several years.

And conversely, of course we've never brought in great pass catchers to help Jimmy,...because he'll never bump them up a notch like a # of other QBs are able to. Posters that repeat this mantra will - to their selves at least - always be right.

In the end, it doesn't matter that if you take Mahomes' supporting cast away, he wouldn't look as good. What matters is if you give most QBs his same or a comparable supporting cast, he smokes them.

What can you do with the tools you have? #AllThatMatters

Really?
It seems to me that in 2017 he pretty much immediately elevated Marquise Goodwin, who was our deep ball threat btw, and maybe even Trent Taylor.

Now, I can see the arguments. "That was then, this is now." "He elevated them more than Hoyer or Beathard because of course he's better than them."

Yes and yes. But the ability to do that has at least been exhibited. People talking about him being inconsistent and of course he's been inconsistent because he hasn't put together the required on field time to probably be consistent. Now, that is of course a valid criticism with him although the injuries were no more his fault than they would be any other player's. That is where I can see a desire to move on from him and patience wearing thin.

But at the same time, people on the "dump Jimmy" bandwagon seem to mostly just want to make a change for the sake of making a change because it makes them feel good or something. At least, that is the way many of them come across.

And if you had read a little closer you would have seen that the reason why I specifically talked about the weapons of Mahomes was because a poster said he was the reason they went to the Super Bowl and I simply pointed out that in his two full years of starting in college he could muster nothing better than a 12-13 record.

So regardless of abilities and who is "better" the point I was making is the talent around you always matters at least when it comes to winning big.

Don't want to reply for some one else, particularly on the internet where typos and auto corrects always happen.

But you guys could be misreading what he said even in highlighting it.

I didn't see where he said a thing about Kyle's offensive system. I read it as Jimmy mastering his system. In other words, for him to grow into whatever he individually would be as a quarterback with his mechanics, throwing style, tendencies, etc.

Now who knows, maybe I'm wrong. I just didn't see or read into any "his" other than Jimmy himself.
Originally posted by dmax:
Originally posted by susweel:
Probably trying to trade Jimmy for teddy straight up. Then use teddy as bridge qb.

One could hope

Oh my goodness...
As much as Jimmy has dedicated himself to playing in Kyle's offense, I think Kyle should consider tweaking the offense a bit more to be Jimmy friendly.

Not a ton like an RG3 2012, but something between now and 2017.

Also think Jimmy should ditch the brace for good and be working on his deep ball mechanics.

If all of that happens, I see very good things for the 49ers and Jimmy this year.

Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
As much as Jimmy has dedicated himself to playing in Kyle's offense, I think Kyle should consider tweaking the offense a bit more to be Jimmy friendly.

Not a ton like an RG3 2012, but something between now and 2017.

Also think Jimmy should ditch the brace for good and be working on his deep ball mechanics.

If all of that happens, I see very good things for the 49ers and Jimmy this year.
so what your saying is, get a whole new quarterback
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Just protect Jimmy.

Thank you sir for noticing.

HA
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Originally posted by dmax:
Originally posted by susweel:
Probably trying to trade Jimmy for teddy straight up. Then use teddy as bridge qb.

One could hope

Oh my goodness...

Who knows...it wouldn't be trading Teddy straight up for Jimmy. That makes no sense financially. The Panthers are pretty much done with Teddy as well.

Possibly move Jimmy to NE, get Teddy at half the price for a day 3 pick, and go get a top rookie.
Were the 49ers perhaps looking into Bridgewater as an option should a rookie quarterback fall to them in the draft? Person said that he spoke with another NFC team official and asked about the Bridgewater-49ers possibility.

"He said, 'I would think that would be if the 49ers were ready to draft somebody and then bring Bridgewater in,'" Person said. "Again, this certainly seemed to me like this was all still very preliminary. Let's not forget either ... that (Panthers head coach) Matt Rhule and (49ers assistant general manager) Adam Peters have a background and a history.

"Of course, Peters was here—at least virtually—interviewed for the Panthers GM job. That may have been where the conversation started. That may not have gone any farther than that. I don't think it's a stretch to suggest that Matt Rhule and Peters were on the phone talking, just sort of spitballing a little bit."
  • Jiks
Lol Bridgewater is the new flavor of the week I see. He was so stellar last year that he's allowed Panthers a great chance to draft his replacement.
Share 49ersWebzone