There are 159 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 5thSFG:
You're being somewhat disingenuous. I stopped watching but the 1st, 3rd, 5th, 6th and 7th passes of that video are more than 5 yards down field and two of them are more than 10. One is more than 10 and to the sideline.

Again, I stopped watching because I was only looking to see if what you claimed is true. It wasn't.

Huh?

First 4 throws are like 5 yards or less from the LOS.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Dec 1, 2020 at 3:23 PM ]
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
What about 2019? JG had a good year.
5th in TDs, 8th in passer rating, 3rd in yards per attempt...

-Near the bottom of the league football ALEX score
-2nd worst in the league in air yards to the sticks
-worst in the league in avg air yard differential
-3rd worst in avg intended air yards

and with all that he was 8th worst in INT% which means he threw the ball shorter than just about any QB in the league and yet threw INTs at one of the highest %

who f**king cares about all of those? was like top 5 in 3rd down conversions. which outweigh any of those stats besides INT's. we never had that with Alex. moving the chains consistently was something we had with Jimmy we hadn't had with any other QB in a long ass time.

I don't mean to speak for NY but I don't think he is content with having the best 49er QB we have had in 15 years. He wants a legit franchise QB and who can keep this franchise in contention for the next 10 years. People can throw out stats that say Jimmy is good and people can throw out stats that say he isn't good. For me as a fan it comes down to how does he look and as a QB he looks average and it limits what an offense can do.

NY wants go get rid of Jimmy and then start the search for a rookie FQB.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
C'mon Ny don't try to down play that pats game..lol

Should he not throw to the wide open guy ?

I just watched the 12 min highlight clip of that game and 80% of his throws were screens, shovel passes, and about 4 yards deep...were they not?

Why does he get so much praise for doing something like that, while all the playmakers around him get next to nothing? It's the definition of a game manger. It's not an awful thing...is it worth $50M the next 2 yrs with a worse roster? Debatable.

IMO it's disingenuous to prop up Jimmy and not talk about everyone else...if the Pats were putting points up and SF actually had to push the ball downfield through the air, would they be able too? IMO that's not our QBs strength. If you disagree fine.
like i said , Should he not throw to the wide open guy behind the sticks, at the sticks and beyond the sticks ?

Why does JG get so much praise ? why do you give so much praise for QBs that haven't played in the NFL yet but say they can do so much better? we will never know

can we get better at QB, yes, do i think we should get better at QB, yes. Do i need to down play, diminish, bring up odd stats that don't show what he actually does on film to win games. No.

As of this year he's the QB and he can get the job done until he can't
Originally posted by Sickaa:
yeah and none of that necessarily equates to him being "figured out". you also remember during that game or receivers drop like 5+ balls? or the ball that came off Bournes hands tipped and picked off? again, it doesn't come off as being figured out to me as much as it does Jimmy just not upping his play and going through the motions and improving with experience, lol

I remember Dante dropping one, that was on Dante no doubt. And I remember the high pass to Bourne that he tipped into the defensive players hands. That one was on Jimmy. Let's not forget Jimmy fumbling the ball like always. He's a turnover machine right now. I think he's averaging one Int per game throughout his career.

It was catchable. it should've been caught. that's on bourne, as was shown on the expression of his face.

in fact he had two huge drops that game one of them being a pick.

guess who also fumbled for a touchdown as well? russell wilson. the point is the defense makes plays too.

didn't know Jimmy was a fumbling machine, new to me. lol

I said he was a turnover machine lol. Not a fumbling machine, even though he had something like 5 of those too last season as well. And every receiver believes they should catch the ball smh lol the pass was way off the mark. Don't act like Jimmy doesn't have Issues with his accuracy.

"fumbling the ball like always"

doesn't matter, but it's essentially the same thing.

Jimmy has been inconsistent with his accuracy, but again that example? was right on bourne's hands. like it's a total stretch to say that's all on Jimmy lol. go back and rewatch highlights.

I supposed It was Kittles fault he got himself Injured against the cards too? He should have caught that high pass and made the defender miss lol. The fact Jimmy has thrown an Int In most of his games since becoming a niner shows that he's nothing special.

what does that throw to Kittle have to do with anything? what makes you think I'd put no blame on Jimmy for that example? just telling you straight up that pick from Bourne not catching it was more on Bourne IMO. that's all. im sorry you have PTSD with Jimmy and his "1 INT" per game.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

and with all that he was 8th worst in INT% which means he threw the ball shorter than just about any QB in the league and yet threw INTs at one of the highest %

who f**king cares about all of those? was like top 5 in 3rd down conversions. which outweigh any of those stats besides INT's. we never had that with Alex. moving the chains consistently was something we had with Jimmy we hadn't had with any other QB in a long ass time.

I don't mean to speak for NY but I don't think he is content with having the best 49er QB we have had in 15 years. He wants a legit franchise QB and who can keep this franchise in contention for the next 10 years. People can throw out stats that say Jimmy is good and people can throw out stats that say he isn't good. For me as a fan it comes down to how does he look and as a QB he looks average and it limits what an offense can do.

If you actually understand the data it backs up a lot of what some of us have been saying.

Yes top 5 in 3rd down conversions, these stats directly tie into 3rd downs....

ALEX: Air Less EXpected. ALEX measures the average difference between how far a quarterback threw a pass (air yards) and how many yards he needed for a first down. If a quarterback throws a pass 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage on third-and-15, that would be minus-20 ALEX. The best application of ALEX is to look at third and fourth down when it's really crucial to get 100 percent of the need yards to extend the drive. A high ALEX would be indicative of a quarterback who aggressively attacks the sticks, while a low ALEX is indicative of a conservative quarterback more likely to check down and/or rely on YAC. Yes, the name is inspired by Alex Smith, who frequently has one of the lowest ALEX averages in the league.

He was 6th worst in the league in ALEX according to Football Outsiders, right next to Haskins.

Air Yards to the Sticks (AYTS)Air Yards to the Sticks shows the amount of Air Yards ahead or behind the first down marker on all attempts for a passer. The metric indicates if the passer is attempting his passes past the 1st down marker, or if he is relying on his skill position players to make yards after catch.

2nd worst in the league last yr in AYTS...So he basically relied on his skilled playmakers to get 3rd down conversions. Why does he get all the credit for that? It's why air yards is an important stat. It's not just about throwing deep balls all game. It's about actually throwing the ball forward consistently lol. It's the difference between a game manger type and guys who play are the next level.

context dude.

Meanwhile he was 3rd in yards per attempt and 5th in TDs which means those stats are not very telling.
also dude look at the comment section of that article.

that guy's name is similar to yours and he's talking about nothing but ALEX haha

Oh hahaha.

Yeah not me...85 is for Vernon Davis

He doesn't sound like me though, I'm a bit more of a dick (I can admit that )

dunno lol but you can see why i thought it was you with just a slight variation of your name here

I want Jimmy to take a big pay cut, draft QB, and maintain and dare I say upgrade the roster overall with that freed up cash.

I have no idea what you want to do....judging by your posts you want to fire Kyle and give Jimmy a raise lol
Originally posted by random49er:

LOL at ALEX scores and other meaningless stats that do not translate to winning.

Well no. But they do translate to him not throwing the ball very far, given all the money he's due to make.

Who cares if he is moving the sticks and winning?
dunno lol but you can see why i thought it was you with just a slight variation of your name here

I get it

I mean the only thing the same is the 85.

Hey you see how much I post in here, you think I got anymore time to post on some rando article? My wife gets mad enough I spend this much time talking to ya'll
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Dec 1, 2020 at 3:30 PM ]
Or Jimmy had a MASSIVE part in that happening as well lol. was he not known for that in 2017 as well? this is not one of the reasons we all fell in love with the guy for a short period

God it was so refreshing to have confidence in third and longs again.

I actually think it had more to do with the fact that he was much more willing than previous quarterbacks to make attempts throwing the ball into tighter windows.

perhaps that's what stood out to me (or us) the most?

either way, comparatively, you could say that the reason he was also top five was because of more attempts or his willingness vs what we've had for the past decade

His passing attempts are literally the one of the shortest in the league in 2019, especially on 3rd downs. I wouldn't call that a willingness to throw into tight windows.

At this pt who cares about 2017...that was 3 yrs ago and like 4 meaningful games

Hey I'll gladly eat crow if he comes back and balls out. Actually throws it downfield and wins games because of his arm.

because he was CONSISTENT in 2019 like he was in 2017 in

A. 4th quarter comebacks leading to a win with either a FG or a TD B. consistency in converting 3rd downs

who cares how many yards it took to do so. the point is it was a huge difference compared to the years with Alex and Kap prior. you honestly dont attribute our increased 3rd down success rate to the QB? just the players 'catching' it around him?

seriously get off the whole air yards crap. the point is we were wildly more consistent in moving the chains than we had been in a while.

I was almost certain this was an aspect of Jimmy EVERYONE agreed on that was a refreshing change after 3rd and 7+ felt IMPOSSIBLE to convert with gun-shy /hesitant QB'ing

I want Jimmy to take a big pay cut, draft QB, and maintain and dare I say upgrade the roster overall with that freed up cash.

I have no idea what you want to do....judging by your posts you want to fire Kyle and give Jimmy a raise lol

I have said it repeatedly. keep Jimmy until you have a replacement.

I have never saud the team should fire Shanahan. You have repeatedly said the team should get rid of JG this offseason.
It's been 2 months and people are still arguing about the same thing in here. There's no changing of each other's minds no matter what point you're tryna prove. The nitpicking is the most irritating part. Y'all just gotta agree to disagree and move on.
Or Jimmy had a MASSIVE part in that happening as well lol. was he not known for that in 2017 as well? this is not one of the reasons we all fell in love with the guy for a short period

God it was so refreshing to have confidence in third and longs again.

I actually think it had more to do with the fact that he was much more willing than previous quarterbacks to make attempts throwing the ball into tighter windows.

perhaps that's what stood out to me (or us) the most?

either way, comparatively, you could say that the reason he was also top five was because of more attempts or his willingness vs what we've had for the past decade

His passing attempts are literally the one of the shortest in the league in 2019, especially on 3rd downs. I wouldn't call that a willingness to throw into tight windows.

At this pt who cares about 2017...that was 3 yrs ago and like 4 meaningful games

Hey I'll gladly eat crow if he comes back and balls out. Actually throws it downfield and wins games because of his arm.

because he was CONSISTENT in 2019 like he was in 2017 in

A. 4th quarter comebacks leading to a win with either a FG or a TD B. consistency in converting 3rd downs

who cares how many yards it took to do so. the point is it was a huge difference compared to the years with Alex and Kap prior. you honestly dont attribute our increased 3rd down success rate to the QB? just the players 'catching' it around him?

seriously get off the whole air yards crap. the point is we were wildly more consistent in moving the chains than we had been in a while.

I was almost certain this was an aspect of Jimmy EVERYONE agreed on that was a refreshing change after 3rd and 7+ felt IMPOSSIBLE to convert with gun-shy /hesitant QB'ing

People look for obscure stats to fit their narrative.
People look for obscure stats to fit their narrative.

Going to put it to bed for once and for good inna few minutes.
Originally posted by OhioNiner:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
What are we going to talk about if they let Jimmy walk? Over 4100 pages and 62000 posts.

Ever since Joe and Steve it's the 49er way to have a polarizing QB.

Even Steve was at first. Jeff Garcia was as well. Did great, than not so great. I remember getting into an argument at another place when I sided with Jeff over TO because Owens, great as he was, was a completely disruptive head case at the end of his time in San Francisco.

So we would probably be doing the exact same thing over the next guy.

I know. I should have put up a smiling emoji. Maybe thats' the best reason for getting a new QB. We've exhausted all the arguments pro and con for Jimmy. If anyone comes up with a new one they should be poster of the year.
Share 49ersWebzone