There are 208 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Well this team don't win very often at all unless JG is QB.

And I understand the YAC sentiment but you can't denigrate a QB's performance on the grounds of the talent around him.

Would you slight Joe Montana by citing Roger Craigs running/catching out of the backfield and having two incredible receivers in John Taylor and Jerry Rice to throw to and make him look better?

None of us ever thought Joe had a great arm. He was adequate for their offense at the time. He made up for his lack of arm strength by being able to move well ( when he was younger) and having maybe the best field vision ever. He rarely missed wide open receivers. His command of the field is what made him great.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
You're failing to recognize that the core of what I'm saying is that Kyle doesn't seem to be very good at improving the QB's abilities or mechanics to help them better execute. Rather, I find he just adapts the scheme based on those. And yes, he does that better than anybody in the league.

My thinking though is that there needs to be someone else that helps develop these guys as players to go along with the playbook wizardry.

Kyle's job isn't to improve a QBs mechanics & abilities (whatever that means)...That's on the pLayer and the position coach. The player needs to work on his craft and plenty of them do that during the off season with hired coaches and position gurus.

It is on the position coach and the player.

It's also on the head coach to have the right position coach on the team.

I don't know why Jeff Garcia's comment that every single quarterback on the roster has footwork problems keeps getting overlooked and ignored. Yes it's on the player to improve that. But when every QB on the roster has that same problem then it's also on the organization and coaching staff to figure out why and if it can be fixed.
Originally posted by random49er:

They're littering Tampa Bay boards as well. Solid work mate. Let us know if you find any more Patriots in disguise here Goatie.

If I was a NE fan I wouldn't be Catchmaster80. I don't recall any HOF receiver in NE that wore that number. The only thing I like about NE is the lobster.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
All QB prospects look good in college tho but thats not what i'm trying to get at

If JG couldn't throw like your stats say, then we wouldn't have no business winning as many games as we did. Coaches could easily take away the short game.. but they couldn't.

This year Bill belicheat exposed Derek Carr by double covering his check downs, but couldn't do anything against Jimmy. Some players can just win games, no matter what the stats say

Why could we not win like we did? I mean we did lol. Top 5 defense top 5 running game. A bunch of YAC machines that can take Jimmy's quick short passes for 1st downs. Film backs it up, data backs it up.

The Pats game where they ran it for like 200 yards and 80% of Jimmy's passing attempts where screens, shovel passes or had depth of like 4 yards? You mean the one where he threw 2 INTs and D help BB to 6 pts?

Look the team is better with Jimmy then Mullens or CJ that's pretty obvious...they could be a f**k ton better with a legitimate QB behind center.
C'mon Ny don't try to down play that pats game..lol

Should he not throw to the wide open guy ?

[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Dec 1, 2020 at 2:36 PM ]
Originally posted by OhioNiner:

I don't know why Jeff Garcia's comment that every single quarterback on the roster has footwork problems keeps getting overlooked and ignored. Yes it's on the player to improve that. But when every QB on the roster has that same problem then it's also on the organization and coaching staff to figure out why and if it can be fixed.

We agree on that.
Well this team don't win very often at all unless JG is QB.

And I understand the YAC sentiment but you can't denigrate a QB's performance on the grounds of the talent around him.

Would you slight Joe Montana by citing Roger Craigs running/catching out of the backfield and having two incredible receivers in John Taylor and Jerry Rice to throw to and make him look better?

I mean did any QB besides Jimmy have that 2019 roster to work with?

I'm not saying Mullens or CJ are going (in fact I think they're awful) but they most certainly don't have the same roster this yr or in 2018.

Do NOT bring up Montana with Jimmy dude.

I just watched the 12 min highlight clip of that game and 80% of his throws were screens, shovel passes, and about 4 yards deep...were they not?

Why does he get so much praise for doing something like that, while all the playmakers around him get next to nothing? It's the definition of a game manger. It's not an awful thing...is it worth $50M the next 2 yrs with a worse roster? Debatable.

IMO it's disingenuous to prop up Jimmy and not talk about everyone else...if the Pats were putting points up and SF actually had to push the ball downfield through the air, would they be able too? IMO that's not our QBs strength. If you disagree fine.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
It's called lying. I do it all the time

HA sky would go to my profile see when I first joined and call me out
Originally posted by OhioNiner:

Jimmy had bad footwork in NE as well.
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
yeah and none of that necessarily equates to him being "figured out". you also remember during that game or receivers drop like 5+ balls? or the ball that came off Bournes hands tipped and picked off? again, it doesn't come off as being figured out to me as much as it does Jimmy just not upping his play and going through the motions and improving with experience, lol

I remember Dante dropping one, that was on Dante no doubt. And I remember the high pass to Bourne that he tipped into the defensive players hands. That one was on Jimmy. Let's not forget Jimmy fumbling the ball like always. He's a turnover machine right now. I think he's averaging one Int per game throughout his career.

48 career games played.
26 career interceptions.

You can "think" all you want. It unfortunately wasn't hard to actually look up. And no the math doesn't of course fit what you "think".

I just watched the 12 min highlight clip of that game and 80% of his throws were screens, shovel passes, and about 4 yards deep...were they not?

Why does he get so much praise for doing something like that, while all the playmakers around him get next to nothing? It's the definition of a game manger. It's not an awful thing...is it worth $50M the next 2 yrs with a worse roster? Debatable.

IMO it's disingenuous to prop up Jimmy and not talk about everyone else...if the Pats were putting points up and SF actually had to push the ball downfield through the air, would they be able too? IMO that's not our QBs strength. If you disagree fine.

You're being somewhat disingenuous. I stopped watching but the 1st, 3rd, 5th, 6th and 7th passes of that video are more than 5 yards down field and two of them are more than 10. One is more than 10 and to the sideline.

Again, I stopped watching because I was only looking to see if what you claimed is true. It wasn't.
yeah and none of that necessarily equates to him being "figured out". you also remember during that game or receivers drop like 5+ balls? or the ball that came off Bournes hands tipped and picked off? again, it doesn't come off as being figured out to me as much as it does Jimmy just not upping his play and going through the motions and improving with experience, lol

I remember Dante dropping one, that was on Dante no doubt. And I remember the high pass to Bourne that he tipped into the defensive players hands. That one was on Jimmy. Let's not forget Jimmy fumbling the ball like always. He's a turnover machine right now. I think he's averaging one Int per game throughout his career.

48 career games played.
26 career interceptions.

You can "think" all you want. It unfortunately wasn't hard to actually look up. And no the math doesn't of course fit what you "think".

It was catchable. it should've been caught. that's on bourne, as was shown on the expression of his face.

in fact he had two huge drops that game one of them being a pick.

guess who also fumbled for a touchdown as well? russell wilson. the point is the defense makes plays too.

didn't know Jimmy was a fumbling machine, new to me. lol

I said he was a turnover machine lol. Not a fumbling machine, even though he had something like 5 of those too last season as well. And every receiver believes they should catch the ball smh lol the pass was way off the mark. Don't act like Jimmy doesn't have Issues with his accuracy.

"fumbling the ball like always"

doesn't matter, but it's essentially the same thing.

Jimmy has been inconsistent with his accuracy, but again that example? was right on bourne's hands. like it's a total stretch to say that's all on Jimmy lol. go back and rewatch highlights.

I supposed It was Kittles fault he got himself Injured against the cards too? He should have caught that high pass and made the defender miss lol. The fact Jimmy has thrown an Int In most of his games since becoming a niner shows that he's nothing special.

Maybe he is nothing special.

And out of fairness some of his 48 games were backup appearances.

32 starts and 26 picks. That indeed is not great. I wonder how many QB's had a similar or greater number in their first 32 starts who still wound up being pretty good?

I know, he's older than what they probably were. So his time to reach his ceiling isn't as great and his ceiling might not be as great.

But some of the criticisms are a bit overblown and over the top. Like calling him a "turnover machine".

I fully agree with the point of genus. Move on from Jimmy at some point if need be. But there is an incredible risk to doing so and it isn't as automatic or easy as people want it to be in all of their fantasies on the internet.
What are we going to talk about if they let Jimmy walk? Over 4100 pages and 62000 posts.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
What are we going to talk about if they let Jimmy walk? Over 4100 pages and 62000 posts.

The new QB of course.

Will probably have 1000 pages before he even takes a snap.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

Ever since Joe and Steve it's the 49er way to have a polarizing QB.

Even Steve was at first. Jeff Garcia was as well. Did great, than not so great. I remember getting into an argument at another place when I sided with Jeff over TO because Owens, great as he was, was a completely disruptive head case at the end of his time in San Francisco.

So we would probably be doing the exact same thing over the next guy.
Share 49ersWebzone