Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by thl408:

That ball placement

Haha...nice pass, but seems like a pretty standard NFL throw to me.

Our expectations have really nose dived for the QB position..

This is just stupid. He makes the beautiful throw and it's a standard NFL throw. He doesnt make the throw and he sucks. He can't win. That was a gorgeous 4th down throw. If Jimmy doesn't make several throws like this tonight they lose. No respect.

That throw was as money as it gets. 4th down. 3 defenders crashing RIGHT up in his grill at ferocious speed, and he fires a dart perfectly accurate for a huge TD. His game wasn't perfect, but he made enough big plays to get the W.

My only point is it was a good throw, but nothing most NFL QBs can't make. Pressure wasn't that crazy and he had no option but to stand and deliver.

I just so don't know how many on this forum actually watch other NFL QBs play? Guys like Teddy Bridgewater was dropping 25 yard back shoulder throw dimes against the side lines.

A straight line dart down the middle of the field is not that impressive..good throw, especially considering down and distance, but still want to see a lot more consistency to justify the contract.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Oct 19, 2020 at 11:37 AM ]
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I don't analyze and criticize every play. There will be some good throws and there will be some good catches. There will also be some drops. Every game has those no matter who the receivers and QB are. I prefer to look at the overall body of work and that tells me more about who a player is. It 's obvious to me that either Jimmy can't or Kyle doesn't believe he can consistently throw the long passes whether down the middle or the deep sideline throw. If he felt he could, why wouldn't he open things up and let him throw those passes more often. He tried one yesterday at the end of the first half when an INT wouldn't hurt them. It was a pretty good pass but the coverage was too tight for a completion. Could have been PI. Don't use the ankle as an excuse because the Niners didn't try those throws often last year either.

I'm not going to take anything away from Jimmy's performance yesterday. He executed the game plan perfectly but I didn't see ant great throws that made me change my mind that he's anything more than a good QB, not elite or top 10. The line blocked well and the running game was working so he could just throw those short passes and move the team downfield. That's fine when you have the lead and are controlling the game. It's not so good if you fall behind and have to come from 2 or 3 scores down late in the game.

This has been discussed ad nauseum and my issue is that you seem to be stuck on lack of ability from Jimmy G to this: we are not a deep ball team. We're just not. Our shots are calculated, scheme plays. Kyle believes in staying on schedule which means ball control passing and running the ball. It was Bill Walsh, it was Mike Holmgren, it was Mike Shanahan.

He attacks the LB's above any other group. Then, when you have DB's creeping up to help those LB's, you hit the big play.

You could make the case for it being on Jimmy if any if the other 3 QB's threw deep more often. Beathard has, arguably, the strongest deep ball arm and isn't particularly good at the short game and we only saw him launching it deep when we were down by 3 scores during our losing streak in year 1. Even then, it wasn't often and it was to Goodwin.

Can you touch on why Shanahan's ATL team was more of a vertical deep ball team? throughout your film watching when Shanny was in ATL, compared to now? touching on it from a schematic, as well as personnel standpoint; which you can explain and be thorough with much better than I can.

I think what we've seen is that Kyle is capable of adjusting his scheme to his personnel. The proof is how he designed his offense to fit RG3. With Matt Ryan in ATL and prime Julio, it made sense to use Ryan's arm to get it to Julio downfield.

Yes and no. I watched all of KS's offense in ATL and it wasn't as vertical as we might remember. They definitely took more deep shots than we do here, but you also had Julio and they didn't run it as well as we do and they didn't have a great defense. Kyle said himself that he calls the offense differently knowing he can trust the defense a lot more.

If you look at the next generation stats, Matt Ryan was 18th in average intended air yards(target depth). He had the best deep ball comp% and rating by a mile, which indicates what we've seen here -schemed deep balls, that are very strategic.

Granted, they threw deep about 4 times a game and we do 2 times a game. So, it's 2 deep attempts per game difference.

ATL also was a team that held up in pass pro better than we have. In 2016 Matt Ryan time to throw was about .25 seconds longer than Jimmy gets. Considering the amount if times we've seen Jimmy throwing the ball right before getting hit, makes sense why we don't see more deep attempts.
[ Edited by jonnydel on Oct 19, 2020 at 11:38 AM ]
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
I think what we've seen is that Kyle is capable of adjusting his scheme to his personnel. The proof is how he designed his offense to fit RG3. With Matt Ryan in ATL and prime Julio, it made sense to use Ryan's arm to get it to Julio downfield.

And this is precisely what I just said. Kyle is a good coach so he plays to the strengths of the team. It has nothing to do with his desire to run an offense this specific way, which is what jonny and some others are trying to say. I agree with you thl.

I think it has everything with his desire to run an offense a certain way when you consider that he is the HC and has put together the offense in the image he wants. Hes never had that anywhere he's been. He passed over big, Julio type receivers for guys like Deebo and Aiyuk, he'sooked for agile lineman to operate the run game, invested huge amounts into a fullback and they draft TE's every year.

I think people conflate my affinity for Jimmy for bias in how I see the offense.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Does that rule apply just for Jimmy? Mahomes had like 2 of those TDs the other week and nobody complained.

I think it's pretty stupid myself but Jimmy is executing the play. Posting that stuff like that with "great ball placement" is super passive aggressive and lame.

Like is that where we're at now? Bashing the QB for doing his job properly just because it's easy?

yup, mahomes does that all the time and no one seems to criticize him for it

he also doesn't throw 75% of his attempts for under 10 yards too.

Comparing what Mahomes does to what Jimmy did last night is silly.

You know very well the comparison wasn't Jimmy vs Mahomes. It was nobody gives Mahomes sh*t for getting those easy forward handoffs for big gains or TDs.

Just because he airs the ball out like crazy doesn't change the fact that those plays are done by Mahomes and any other QB.

There are things to complain about with Jimmy but dogging him for executing the game plan isn't it.

And btw when Mahomes was hurt last year he was limited and not as effective as he was when healthy. Andy Reid called plays accordingly. That's just smart football.

Yeah no one b***hes about Mahomes shovel passes because the rest of the time he's pushing the ball downfield. They're not close to comparable as players go. Total cherry picking there.

Let's also stop pretending this passing offense is a vertical pass offense even if Jimmy doesn't have a sore ankle

It's not dogging him for anything, I've stated he played well given what the offensive play calls were...

What I'm saying is csn we can say that's the way Kyle wants it or maybe he's just playing to his current QBs strengths.

Teams will start coming downfield and take away the short stuff. Will Jimmy be able to throw it downfield accurately and efficiently? I sure hope so, because if we want to make it to the playoffs we're gonna need that.

It's cherry picking to say Mahomes makes those exact same plays and nobody gives him s**t for getting those yards/TDs?

Sounds like the one cherry picking is you my friend. I get you want a guy who can make every throw in the game but if you say you're being objective then let's not go out of your way to make silly points.

I understand it was your attempt at humor with the way someone said Jimmy was sniper like accuracy but this thread is filled with hyperbole. No different than you saying Jimmy's play vs Arizona was terrible.

His play vs the Dolphins was terrible.

Either way dogging a guy for doing what the play calls for regardless of complexity is unnecessary. There are plays that weren't super difficult that he missed like the throw to Juice that you can concentrate on.
  • Goatie
  • Veteran

That ball placement

This is just stupid. He makes the beautiful throw and it's a standard NFL throw. He doesnt make the throw and he sucks. He can't win. That was a gorgeous 4th down throw. If Jimmy doesn't make several throws like this tonight they lose. No respect.

That throw was as money as it gets. 4th down. 3 defenders crashing RIGHT up in his grill at ferocious speed, and he fires a dart perfectly accurate for a huge TD. His game wasn't perfect, but he made enough big plays to get the W.

My only point is it was a good throw, but nothing most NFL QBs can't make. Pressure wasn't that crazy and he had no option but to stand and deliver.

I just so don't know how many on this forum actually watch other NFL QBs play? Guys like Teddy Bridgewater was dropping 25 yard back shoulder throw dimes against the side lines.

A straight line dart down the middle of the field is not that impressive..good throw, especially considering down and distance, but still want to see a lot more consistency to justify the contract.

Stop complaining. Jimmy is our QB for some time to come. Get used to it rather then dismissing every good thing he does and over reacting to every mistake. It is getting old. If you dont like him so much go support the Raiders
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Goatie:
Stop complaining. Jimmy is our QB for some time to come. Get used to it rather then dismissing every good thing he does and over reacting to every mistake. It is getting old. If you dont like him so much go support the Raiders
i have never been in the anti jimmy camp. i flinched a titch when he overthrew juice but oh well

Agreed. I'm guessing based on the alignment that Aiyuk ran a corner. If that's the case, that was a really damn good throw. Aiyuk needs to stack the DB better.

No shade at Aiyuk. I can only imagine how much this dude's head is spinning being in this offense. There are sooo many rules to routes and coverages.
[ Edited by Heroism on Oct 19, 2020 at 12:24 PM ]
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I don't analyze and criticize every play. There will be some good throws and there will be some good catches. There will also be some drops. Every game has those no matter who the receivers and QB are. I prefer to look at the overall body of work and that tells me more about who a player is. It 's obvious to me that either Jimmy can't or Kyle doesn't believe he can consistently throw the long passes whether down the middle or the deep sideline throw. If he felt he could, why wouldn't he open things up and let him throw those passes more often. He tried one yesterday at the end of the first half when an INT wouldn't hurt them. It was a pretty good pass but the coverage was too tight for a completion. Could have been PI. Don't use the ankle as an excuse because the Niners didn't try those throws often last year either.

I'm not going to take anything away from Jimmy's performance yesterday. He executed the game plan perfectly but I didn't see ant great throws that made me change my mind that he's anything more than a good QB, not elite or top 10. The line blocked well and the running game was working so he could just throw those short passes and move the team downfield. That's fine when you have the lead and are controlling the game. It's not so good if you fall behind and have to come from 2 or 3 scores down late in the game.

This has been discussed ad nauseum and my issue is that you seem to be stuck on lack of ability from Jimmy G to this: we are not a deep ball team. We're just not. Our shots are calculated, scheme plays. Kyle believes in staying on schedule which means ball control passing and running the ball. It was Bill Walsh, it was Mike Holmgren, it was Mike Shanahan.

He attacks the LB's above any other group. Then, when you have DB's creeping up to help those LB's, you hit the big play.

You could make the case for it being on Jimmy if any if the other 3 QB's threw deep more often. Beathard has, arguably, the strongest deep ball arm and isn't particularly good at the short game and we only saw him launching it deep when we were down by 3 scores during our losing streak in year 1. Even then, it wasn't often and it was to Goodwin.

Can you touch on why Shanahan's ATL team was more of a vertical deep ball team? throughout your film watching when Shanny was in ATL, compared to now? touching on it from a schematic, as well as personnel standpoint; which you can explain and be thorough with much better than I can.

Yes and no. I watched all of KS's offense in ATL and it wasn't as vertical as we might remember. They definitely took more deep shots than we do here, but you also had Julio and they didn't run it as well as we do and they didn't have a great defense. Kyle said himself that he calls the offense differently knowing he can trust the defense a lot more.

If you look at the next generation stats, Matt Ryan was 18th in average intended air yards(target depth). He had the best deep ball comp% and rating by a mile, which indicates what we've seen here -schemed deep balls, that are very strategic.

Granted, they threw deep about 4 times a game and we do 2 times a game. So, it's 2 deep attempts per game difference.

ATL also was a team that held up in pass pro better than we have. In 2016 Matt Ryan time to throw was about .25 seconds longer than Jimmy gets. Considering the amount if times we've seen Jimmy throwing the ball right before getting hit, makes sense why we don't see more deep attempts.

thanks for clearing this up and touching on this. really interesting to know about the other factors that influenced Shanahan's play-calling and overall scheme.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
I agree with you a lot. But on the flipside, this type of game should not be glorified either. Jimmy's throw to Kittle was outstanding and a major reason we won. He should get all the praise for that. It was a huge moment. But like I said in a previous post, a huge majority of Jimmy's success yesterday came from simple passes that anyone should be able to complete.

Kyle had a gameplan, and Jimmy executed it very well for the most part. That's really all we can ask at this point. If this is the same gameplan we have all season long, there is a clear problem.

agree with this.

That ball placement

Oakland is the only real niner fan/non-troll that has come out and publicly admitted he just flat out does not like Jimmy. just never has. I respect his honesty, but that's about it when it comes to Football

That ball placement

Stop trolling people that are hardcore fans and discussing the team. That's like us telling you to watch Aussie rules ball because we don't like how you fan. Come on man. It's annoying as s**t. Niner fans aren't blind loyalists. Us old school fans are spoiled. You don't understand that
It's cherry picking to say Mahomes makes those exact same plays and nobody gives him s**t for getting those yards/TDs?

Sounds like the one cherry picking is you my friend. I get you want a guy who can make every throw in the game but if you say you're being objective then let's not go out of your way to make silly points.

I understand it was your attempt at humor with the way someone said Jimmy was sniper like accuracy but this thread is filled with hyperbole. No different than you saying Jimmy's play vs Arizona was terrible.

His play vs the Dolphins was terrible.

Either way dogging a guy for doing what the play calls for regardless of complexity is unnecessary. There are plays that weren't super difficult that he missed like the throw to Juice that you can concentrate on.

absolutely that's cherry picking because you're leaving out the fact that he actually pushes the ball downfield on top of a couple shovel passes. Mahomes and Jimmy aren't close to the same as far as quarterbacking goes. It's dumb to even mention them together. They're also are in very similar offensive schemes. Difference is Reid uses Mahomes arm in his play-calling. Same offense wasn't doing that with Smith for a reason....good coaches play to their QBs strengths and limitations.

I just accept the fact of what Jimmy is...a good QB when everything is under structure, like last night. Not asked to make overall difficult throws and manage the game under Kyle's scheme. NOW that's either because Kyle wants complete control... and how the offense played last night is exactly how he wants his offense to look.... or the play-calling is tailormade for his QB. You tell me which it is?

Also please tell me what silly points I'm making? The OP I commented on talked about YAC and how Jimmy must be super accurate to make the play go...I pointed out about 68 yards of his 268 yards being forward hand offs and you don't really need to be super accurate to do that. Toss in a bunch of easy read dump offs that were within 10 yards of the LOS. You DO NOT have to be super accurate to do that as a NFL QB. I THEN pointed out some very nice throws by Jimmy (which for whatever reason you just bypassed) and that seems to rub you the wrong way?

Again not dogging, talking about what happened. I was just as happy when he handed the ball off 40x in the Minn playoff game as I was last night with the W. I will say if we actually want to win this yr, they're gonna have to push the ball downfield at some point. We don't have the defense to shut down some of these offenses. He's gonna have to at the very least make throws like the one he missed to Juice last night. Also it's not all on him, OL will have to PP longer and guys can't be dropping easy balls.

FYI just because I don't think it's all rainbows and kittens with Jimmy doesn't mean I hate him or don't think he can't win games. He's proven he can.
Pointing out good/bad & critiquing our team/QB is what fans do
Ah yes, I remember the days when people wanted Montana out.

I wonder if the 49ers won the superbowl last year if there would be this much critisizm of Jimmy G.

I am just in awe that this is what we are talking about after a fantastic win in a deparate situation with injuries against a quality divisional opponent. Its like some fans wanted Jimmy to fail.
[ Edited by JoseCortez on Oct 19, 2020 at 1:09 PM ]
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sacniner:

That ball placement

Stop trolling people that are hardcore fans and discussing the team. That's like us telling you to watch Aussie rules ball because we don't like how you fan. Come on man. It's annoying as s**t. Niner fans aren't blind loyalists. Us old school fans are spoiled. You don't understand that

You need to learn to stop whining. Try an be positive for once in your life about a game. It must be hard to be so negative all the time in your life. I feel for you.
Share 49ersWebzone