There are 182 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by susweel:
See even Kyle long knows jimmy not a real one. Get tom Brady

What the hell makes Kyle long an expert on the 49ers QB situation. They're not a QB away from winning the Super Bowl, they're the current QB making one or two more completions away from being SB champions right now. No effing guarantee Brady would've made those one or two more passes either to ensure the win.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by BayToBrazil:
Would you trade Jimmy G and sign Brady IF it GUARANTEED one Super Bowl win?

(Obviously this is not a real question and I'm hoping Jimmy G has a nice future but it's tempting if I know I get number 6.)

Sure, who wouldn't do that. But let me see a guarantee first.

I wouldn't. Why settle or one win and then put yourself in a position where you have to go out and find another QB to lead the franchise for the next seven years. Garoppolo is good enough to get the job done. I would lose a ton of respect for Lynch and Shanahan if they submarined Jimmy G for a one year rental on Brady. Regardless of what he may have been lacking in weapons on the Patriots this year it seemed pretty obvious that his best days are behind him. Let him go to some other team that doesn't have the talent to carry him to the Super Bowl and we'll see how he does. Maybe that will finally put the who's better, Brady or Joe, argument to rest. For all Brady has accomplished I would still pick Joe and his best 49ers team to beat Brady and his best Patriots team on a neutral field for one game, playing under the rules that Joe had to play under for most of his career. Brady would be crying to the refs after every play where some 49er got through the line and dropped the hammer on him. Or lets see how Brady's receivers would hold up with Lott punishing them on every route across the middle. I swear, I was watching the Ronnie Lott segment on the clips from the NFL's list of 100 greatest players, and half of the hits he delivered wouldn't even be legal in today's game. The guy was just a killer out there.

Kyle Long is a moron, Jimmy G. was far from the reason the 9ers loss the Super Bowl. WTF was he watching.

Not sure how you can say that but ok. Jimmy was a huge reason we didn't win.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Scottie15:

Kyle Long is a moron, Jimmy G. was far from the reason the 9ers loss the Super Bowl. WTF was he watching.

Jimmy and the defense cost us the game in the 4th quarter.
Originally posted by mayo49:

The Chiefs not having to worry about holding the league's best DL, or practically any other penalty all game cost us the game
Would you trade Jimmy G and sign Brady IF it GUARANTEED one Super Bowl win?

(Obviously this is not a real question and I'm hoping Jimmy G has a nice future but it's tempting if I know I get number 6.)

Sure, who wouldn't do that. But let me see a guarantee first.

I guess it comes down to your faith in this current squad to win 2 Super Bowls. Having seen how hard it is to win it all these last 25 years...I might trade the WHOLE team for a ring. (Once again, Brady is far from a guarantee at this point.)
Originally posted by ninerjok:

What the hell makes Kyle long an expert on the 49ers QB situation. They're not a QB away from winning the Super Bowl, they're the current QB making one or two more completions away from being SB champions right now. No effing guarantee Brady would've made those one or two more passes either to ensure the win.

Brady lost MULTIPLE Super Bowls. Now Montana on the other hand...
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:

I don't think that is true. Jimmy missed one pass. The Oline let the KC rush get threw to Jimmy or bat him down. When he threw the intercept the game was already gone. The throw wasn't that bad it was headed straight to Bourne. KC secondaries just made an awesome play to get the pick.
Brady lost MULTIPLE Super Bowls. Now Montana on the other hand...

Brady won 6 lol. I get that Montana didn't lose one, but the fact that Brady went to so many more SBs than Joe is a positive for Brady.
Originally posted by jersey49er:
Originally posted by random49er:
It's okay that we run alot more...if we do. The problem is needing a QB that can get you out of jams should things be accounted for and theyre rushing the passer.

Other then the super bowl Jimmy has done a good job of doing that when needed, ppl forget it was his 1st full season as a starting QB, and coming off an ACL injury, he will get better, I'm sure of it, it's crazy to me how ppl don't seem to realize these things !

hmmm. 1st full season... ACL. ok.

Given the problem spots Iisted tho...I'd like to know WHY you think he will improve on them? Any specific reason?

If a guy runs a 5 second 40 and 8 second 3-cone last yr...had the...for example...I dont close my eyes and expect him to run around like Michael Vick simply because he's 2 yrs removed from an ACL injury and just played a full season.

I need a little more...football-related reasons instead of blind faith and hope. These things motivates some fans (obviously)... but not all.

Now u link me to where he ran in the 4.3s in college and...ok....we're finally going somewhere...maybe I'll listen.

Why do u all of a sudden expect him to stop taking unnecessary sacks and expand the areas of the field he uses?

Originally posted by Goatie:
I don't think that is true. Jimmy missed one pass. The Oline let the KC rush get threw to Jimmy or bat him down. When he threw the intercept the game was already gone. The throw wasn't that bad it was headed straight to Bourne. KC secondaries just made an awesome play to get the pick.

He actually missed just about every pass to end the game. He's the sole reason why we lost.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Feb 20, 2020 at 4:53 AM ]
Originally posted by Kyzen:
Some will say to this "screw the numbers, he didn't deliver when it matters!". In his first season as a starter. Coming off an ACL. Lets even grant that premise. Russell Wilson threw a game losing INT in the SB from the 5 yard line. Aaron Rodgers is 10-8 in the playoffs and 1-4 in the NFCCG. The Niners have been kicking his a$$ in the playoffs for years. Drew Brees is 8-8 in the playoffs. .

Good to see you back Marvin

Like you, i haven't been able to stomach rewatching the game either, lol.

I agree with a lot of what you have said and I don't really think anyone is writing Jimmy off, but the main problem is this.....

The guys listed above are all Superbowl champs and all won on their first try (I think). Wilson's INT was more about a great defensive play and a terrible play call, but to be clear that loss would have been WAY worse to stomach, compared to the way we lost.

Also, if you give every one of these listed QBs 3 drives (one on a short field) against the 31st ranked defense with a lead, they are all three going to give you points and we know this because all 3 did it to us this year.

Like it's been mentioned before in this thread, its not that Jimmy needed lead the team to some miraculous comeback, all he needed to do was score one TD with 3 opportunities.

Nonetheless, the debate really is a waste of time because it's all history now, all we can all do is just pray that he comes back and proves to be good enough to be in company with this group of QBs when it comes to Superbowl wins.

What are you even talking about at this point? In what world was the Chiefs defense 31st ranked?

But if you want to go there...

Drew Brees - his defense kept the high powered Colts to 17 points. FYI we give up 17 points we win the game.
Russell Wilson - his defense actually outscored the HISTORICAL Denver Broncos offense while only giving up 8 points. We give up 8 points we win the game.
Aaron Rodgers - only game where we'd lose cuz his defense gave up 25 but you may want to double check how he played in the NFC Championship game...

I did notice you said you haven't rewatched the game and yet you've been in here flinging sh*t at Jimmy saying he basically choked. Go and actually watch those plays so you can see what the hell was going on before talking about the game.
Originally posted by Goatie:
Some will say to this "screw the numbers, he didn't deliver when it matters!". In his first season as a starter. Coming off an ACL. Lets even grant that premise. Russell Wilson threw a game losing INT in the SB from the 5 yard line. Aaron Rodgers is 10-8 in the playoffs and 1-4 in the NFCCG. The Niners have been kicking his a$$ in the playoffs for years. Drew Brees is 8-8 in the playoffs. .

Good to see you back Marvin

Like you, i haven't been able to stomach rewatching the game either, lol.

I agree with a lot of what you have said and I don't really think anyone is writing Jimmy off, but the main problem is this.....

The guys listed above are all Superbowl champs and all won on their first try (I think). Wilson's INT was more about a great defensive play and a terrible play call, but to be clear that loss would have been WAY worse to stomach, compared to the way we lost.

Also, if you give every one of these listed QBs 3 drives (one on a short field) against the 31st ranked defense with a lead, they are all three going to give you points and we know this because all 3 did it to us this year.

Like it's been mentioned before in this thread, its not that Jimmy needed lead the team to some miraculous comeback, all he needed to do was score one TD with 3 opportunities.

Nonetheless, the debate really is a waste of time because it's all history now, all we can all do is just pray that he comes back and proves to be good enough to be in company with these group of QBs when it comes to Superbowl wins.

I think you should go and rewatch the Super Bowl. Particularly the last 10 minutes. What is on tape is different to what you post particularly the bits where you run Jimmy down. What you say happened and what happened are two different things.

Did he score on his last three drives?

Ok, I'll rewatch it if you're telling me I missed the score he made to get the TD we needed to get #6.

Actually, that's a lie, no I won't because the only thing I could bear to watch would be from the second half kickoff to the 7min mark

Ok...I see where this is headed. Ignore my previous post. Clearly you're here to run your mouth and don't want to address reality. No point in wasting my time talking to you further.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Manning didn't get it in his first try (edit: yes he did...forgot the Bears...lol). Brees and Rodgers got it in their ONLY tries......many, many years ago.

I think this "Good enough" argument is kinda ludicrous to be honest. If The Chiefs don't convert 3rd and 15 for 40 plus yards, Niners likely win the Super Bowl regardless of what Jimmy does. He was already "Good Enough".

Its like we make the SB this unreachable standard when in reality its just another game. There are like 5 different plays that if any one of them happens differently the Niners with #6. It simply didn't shake out that way. Some of that was Jimmy and some of it wasn't.

I think we need to stop putting these ludicrous standards on players, starting with Jimmy. Jimmy doesn't need to be a "top 5 QB" to win a ring. Its a team sport, not a "Top 5 QB" sport. DO great QBs make it easier? Damn right.

Right now though, we don't know what Jimmy is...just as we didn't at this point know what Drew Brees was. Dude had a good year. Why must we make more of it than that/ The national media will write him off. So what?

I've read before on some threads that we should not look at stats and ask ourselves if the NFL world views Jimmy as a top 5 QB. Well of course they don't. The media narrative is that he blows and might as well retire right now. DOn't buy that hype. Thats just for the world of "hot takes". Its BS.

I dunno if Jimmy will be a middling QB, a really good QB, or a superstar QB. Nobody does. NOBODY saw Brees here after he left the Chargers. NOBODY thought Brady would be here...and that was after he'd won a few SBs.

Let just say Jimmy had a good year, the team got further than any of us thought, and leave it at that. Somehow, losing the SB has become an order of magnitude WORSE than losing a Conference Championship game.

Terrific stuff. Amazing what can happen when people use logic and don't completely overreact.

It's okay that we run alot more...if we do. The problem is needing a QB that can get you out of jams should things be accounted for and theyre rushing the passer.

Other then the super bowl Jimmy has done a good job of doing that when needed, ppl forget it was his 1st full season as a starting QB, and coming off an ACL injury, he will get better, I'm sure of it, it's crazy to me how ppl don't seem to realize these things !

Are we talking 4th quarters he's pulled out...or the way he is able to play?

All things considered... he had an extremely successful season... no denying that.

But there are gaping holes in his game that shows up and cant be ignored.

Example....go back a 1000 pages or so and we are criticizing why he never throws the ball away.

Then the Superbowl comes and you know what? He finally DOES throw the ball away.... only problem being it was to the other team for an INT because apparently his arm wasnt strong enough. I guess that kinda adds to the criticism that he doesnt test the hashes 25 yards plus very much unless its a designed play with a wide open pass catcher.

Sooo...u cut off being able to fling it out of there quickly and safely...then what do u have to help you? Either A) You're mobile or B)Your smarts need to advance bigtime!

You have to understand that there is just plain bad luck in games sometimes...and then there are also clear, worrisome trends that might point to a guy almost 30 yrs old not being able to improve upon.

I say we stop arguing about his great season and focus on how our QB position can improve for 2020. Which one of the 3 things do you expect? More arm strength... more/better control of the passing game strategically.....or more mobility??

Cause he's going to need something.

Understand all you're saying but my point is it's hid 1st full season again, he has lots of room to grow and should, hopefully will, I absolutely think he's not a finished product, it was basically his rookie season while coming off an ACL, if next year at this time he is the same then I will start to question and worry, until then I don't understand the criticism he gets now, in no way did he by himself lose the super bowl.

Wait so now people are saying his arm wasn't strong enough to throw that ball away? Do people just fail to go back and watch the plays because we lost the game?

He got blasted halfway through his throwing motion which CLEARLY impacted the throw. How are people still not understanding that? We're really going to put it out there that he doesn't have an arm strong enough to throw the ball away?

I don't care if you're Mahomes/Josh Allen/Rodgers...if you're getting hit in the chest mid windup the throw will not go where you intend.
Share 49ersWebzone