LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 259 users in the forums

nfl's best fanbases (yahoo article)

Shop 49ers game tickets
this schmuck wrote an article that this "university" conducted this study on which fanbase is the best. The Chiefs were ranked LAST according to this study.

HEre's the link:

https://sports.yahoo.com/best-worst-fans-nfl-new-study-answers-160145494.html

btw: the 49ers are ranked 10th even though i haven't seen any 49er gear over here in a while...
Seattle ranked 19th and Raiders 20th.

Looks legit to me.

Originally posted by pdizo916:
this schmuck wrote an article that this "university" conducted this study on which fanbase is the best. The Chiefs were ranked LAST according to this study.

HEre's the link:

btw: the 49ers are ranked 10th even though i haven't seen any 49er gear over here in a while...

I read the Yahoo article ... then followed the linkage to the Emory University Scholarblog. There, I found a more detailed explanation,
of the metrics used to conduct the study by Professor Mike Lewis. Based on the factors used to compile his statistics, the outcome
makes some sense. Whether or not theses statistics prove Fan Loyalty or not, remains to be seen.

So although fans in KC -- as the article states -- "will be seething" about their last place rank, it's understandable (to me), how the 49ers,
had a league rank of tenth (10th) overall. I was however surprised, to see the Niners, not fair better in the Social Media category.

What I took away from this study: it's about Time & the Money Factor ... some fan bases have more Time & Disposable income than others.
[ Edited by FlayvaMeister on Jun 22, 2017 at 11:04 AM ]
Originally posted by FlayvaMeister:

HEre's the link:

I read the Yahoo article ... then followed the linkage to the Emory University Scholarblog. There, I found a more detailed explanation,
of the metrics used to conduct the study by Professor Mike Lewis. Based on the factors used to compile his statistics, the outcome
makes some sense. Whether or not theses statistics prove Fan Loyalty or not, remains to be seen.

So although fans in KC -- as the article states -- "will be seething" about their last place rank, it's understandable (to me), how the 49ers,
had a league rank of tenth (10th) overall. I was however surprised, to see the Niners, not fair better in the Social Media category.

What I took away from this study: it's about Time & the Money Factor ... some fan bases have more Time & Disposable income than others.
might not seem like it but 49er fans show up well in away games
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

HEre's the link:

I agree that the team travels well ... which was an area the Franchise ranked high in. I just
thought -- given it's the location -- the team would do better in the Social Media Equity category.
[ Edited by FlayvaMeister on Jun 22, 2017 at 5:39 PM ]

HEre's the link:

It's the home games that are the problem.

I love the Niners and have since I was 7, but being a fan who grew up on the East Coast among the rabid, albeit obnoxious, followers of the Giants, Eagles, Jets, Pats, etc. I have to say our fan base has to be one of the softest, most fair-weather, and least knowledgeable about football.

Even living in SF now, it's really hard to find a bar that packs it in and goes nuts for the Niners. Hell, even the Bills get people to turn up and turn out at Northstar more than any bar does for the 49ers.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:

HEre's the link:

I love the Niners and have since I was 7, but being a fan who grew up on the East Coast among the rabid, albeit obnoxious, followers of the Giants, Eagles, Jets, Pats, etc. I have to say our fan base has to be one of the softest, most fair-weather, and least knowledgeable about football.

Even living in SF now, it's really hard to find a bar that packs it in and goes nuts for the Niners. Hell, even the Bills get people to turn up and turn out at Northstar more than any bar does for the 49ers.
All California sports fall in the same category. If the team isn't currently winning then people would rather do something else because there are so many options to choose from.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:

HEre's the link:

All California sports fall in the same category. If the team isn't currently winning then people would rather do something else because there are so many options to choose from.

Very true; guess it was just an unwelcome culture shock coming from the East, where it's live and die...even if you root for the doo doo Jets. I miss having the intensity--especially from the Birds fans. Say what you want about how vile they are but if nothing else, Eagles fans give the best homefield advantage. No one wants to walk into the Linc and be around those animals.

"Based on the factors used to compile his statistics..." That is key. Any scientific study needs to have something that is quantifiable (can count numbers of something) to evaluate. So, for it to be a scientific study that could be statistically analyzed, "best" had to be defined in terms of numbers of something. But are quantifiable things the best way to think about "best" fans? That's a dubious proposition to my way of thinking. The author of the study really should have stayed away from a word like best" that is loaded with subjective (non-quantifiable) associations for so many people. Money and time are quantifiable but who is to say that they are THE "best" variables/factors to consider when evaluating "best" fans?

i guess they have nothing to cheer for.

Pack and steelers are 1 and 2 cowboys up there to due to having som damn many fans.
[ Edited by gold49er2183 on Jun 23, 2017 at 1:14 PM ]
  • Homer
  • Veteran
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
Pack and steelers are 1 and 2 cowboys up there to due to having som damn many fans.

I've lived on the west coast for most of my 29 years and I always meet fans of these three teams. I probably know as many cowboys fans as Raider fans, which is insane considering the Raiders were my local team most of my life. Bronco's fans are kind of underrated and belong on this list too, imo. I run into them all the time.

I'd go...

1. Cowboys
2. Packers
3. Steelers
4. Broncos

And then it's a step down after this, imo. I've always had good experiences with NY Giants and Browns fans too, just don't think they have quite the presence as these other teams. At least not in my encounters.
So how butthurt are the Seadderal fans over these rankings? I'm sure they must think it's completely bogus because they are most definitely the loudest fans in the entire league (except their stadium was designed specifically to generate an abnormal level of crowd noise which was smart by them). But the way this particular fan ranking stacks up reveals them as one of the more white trashy fan bases in the league.
bump.

I know that the 49ers are winning but their road following is absolutely f**king insane.

HEre's the link:

We were deep at the Skins and ravens games.
Share 49ersWebzone