QB Nick Mullens is now a Viking

Shop 49ers game tickets
Mullens may be our best option at this point
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
A few weeks ago everyone was trashing Mullins. Lol Webzone mentality
Originally posted by Goatie:

I don't think anyone here wants Mullens long term. We are waking up to the fact Jimmy isn't the answer.

No one is trashing mullens. we need to keep him in for the rest of the year for good or bad.

I'm speculating, but I think Mullins choked in that Eagles game because it was his big national showcase game and he knew with a good performance he could probably hit pay dirt and get a starting QB contract. Just a theory. But I was happy to see him redeem himself a bit today. He is a less talented, but more heady player than Garoppolo, so I enjoy seeing him do well. And I'm kind of "unsold" on Garoppolo now, so hope we draft someone in the next draft.
[ Edited by BSofSF on Nov 1, 2020 at 9:12 PM ]
Originally posted by BSofSF:

I'm speculating, but I think Mullins choked in that Eagles game because it was his big national showcase game and he knew with a good performance he could probably hit pay dirt and get a starting QB contract. Just a theory. But I was happy to see him redeem himself a bit today. He is a less talented, but more heady player than Garoppolo, so I enjoy seeing him do well. And I'm kind of "unsold" on Garoppolo now, so hope we draft someone in the next draft.

Very good post.
Originally posted by BSofSF:

Mullens choking is exactly what happened in the Eagles game and I think for the reasons you mentioned.

However, I doubt any QB who jokes on the big stage is what we want long term, but it's perfectly fine as a stop gap. Let the kid play out the season and grab a QB in the draft. This season is over.

With Kyles scheme, we just need a heady, accurate passer with a strong arm. They don't need to be great in themselves, just efficient decision makers. Of course, I wouldn't mind a great QB.
I think Mullens is much more efficient than Jimmy G. He is more decisive and the ball comes out much faster. He spreads the ball better, and cab elevate players around him, I think Nick just needs more playing time and continuity. This kid can be special and it would be a mistake if we dont re-sign him.
Don't let Nick's performance vs Seattle fool you. It's the CJ effect all over again vs PHI. Still, Mullens should've never been demoted to QB3. He's significantly better than CJ Beathard and a pretty good backup.
He's doo doo like the rest of the QBs but I thought he got an unfair shake against Phili. 1 bad game and he gets demoted to 3rd string and then back up to 2nd after CJ s**ts the bed lol. All of the QBs have put up awful awful performances this year.

• Goatie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
He's doo doo like the rest of the QBs but I thought he got an unfair shake against Phili. 1 bad game and he gets demoted to 3rd string and then back up to 2nd after CJ s**ts the bed lol. All of the QBs have put up awful awful performances this year.

Are all the QBs all bad or may it be something else? Oline perhaps? Overly complex system? We only have our second string receivers? OH and Pettis played till he was knocked rotten as well lol.
Brunskill is pretty good, I don't know what happened here... as well as what Jarick was doing.

[ Edited by Afrikan on Nov 2, 2020 at 2:22 AM ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Brunskill is pretty good, I don't know what happened here... as well as what Jarick was doing.

Lmao we almost got sacked again
Mullens looked good again yesterday in a game that was already over. I'm sure the Seattle D was playing a little softer with the big lead they had. Plus they knew that if the Niners got too close they could just turn Wilson and Metcalf loose again.
Originally posted by Heroism:
Don't let Nick's performance vs Seattle fool you. It's the CJ effect all over again vs PHI. Still, Mullens should've never been demoted to QB3. He's significantly better than CJ Beathard and a pretty good backup.

I agree. At the same time, if I'm the 49ers I have to ask this question:

If Jimmy Garoppolo at his BEST is not much better than Mullens at HIS best, why are we paying Jimmy around $25 million more? Could we use that to boost other areas? It's a valid question.
Share 49ersWebzone