• LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by swoosh6996:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by GarnerValleyFan:
GQ was babies by McDaniel and Shanny, two of the best offense mind in the league, mentored by Brady. Did GQ looked ready and kicked ass last season after an offseason to study the playbook?

Mullens? He had to learn footwork from YouTube, studies Shanny's playbook so dedicatedly that he was ready when called upon. If it was GQ out there that did what Mullens did in those games, some would praise that as special talent.

It wasn't leveled playing field. But Mullen's worked harder, wanted it more, and was ready.

This is dumb. Everyone knows Jimmy G is >>>>>>>>>>>>>> over Mullens.

The results have been the same. Jimmy does have an exceptional release, but all else has been fairly equal.

So then, who would you rather have starting all 16 games this upcoming season? Don't say it's Mullens, because you're straight up lying if you do.

Mullens >>> Montana >>> Young >>> JG

Well hung.

share your med with like minded on webzone?

When we face BB / Brady in the SB and tear them a new affhole, I'm going to be pissed...

I want JG to be the starting QB, but it will be what it will be #itWhatitis #Mullens

Well, one thing is for sure, Mullens has enjoyed more durability than Jimmy, for what it's worth.

Exactly!

I didn't want to say the (i) word because on jinx factor, but it is what it is. The Good thing about the situation is that Mully gets another year in and (for the meantime) sit behind JG to learn more...get thrown in on time to make that playoff run
I was reading the posts in this thread the week before last year's Raiders game and then immediately after. It's pretty funny how much people doubted Mullen's, as if QB play could possibly get much worse than what Beathard was doing last year.
That's not the point. The point is that GQ still has a lot to prove. He has shown to be extremely slow at his progressions in this offense when he's not playing backyard play design.

That's just obtuse
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
GQ was babies by McDaniel and Shanny, two of the best offense mind in the league, mentored by Brady. Did GQ looked ready and kicked ass last season after an offseason to study the playbook?

Mullens? He had to learn footwork from YouTube, studies Shanny's playbook so dedicatedly that he was ready when called upon. If it was GQ out there that did what Mullens did in those games, some would praise that as special talent.

It wasn't leveled playing field. But Mullen's worked harder, wanted it more, and was ready.

The results have been the same. Jimmy does have an exceptional release, but all else has been fairly equal.

So then, who would you rather have starting all 16 games this upcoming season? Don't say it's Mullens, because you're straight up lying if you do.

Well hung.

When we face BB / Brady in the SB and tear them a new affhole, I'm going to be pissed...

I want JG to be the starting QB, but it will be what it will be #itWhatitis #Mullens

Well, one thing is for sure, Mullens has enjoyed more durability than Jimmy, for what it's worth.

Exactly!

I didn't want to say the (i) word because on jinx factor, but it is what it is. The Good thing about the situation is that Mully gets another year in and (for the meantime) sit behind JG to learn more...get thrown in on time to make that playoff run

I think sitting behind Jimmy will always be a positive for Nick. And if Jimmy is injured, there is always a possibility (knock on wood) that Nick can so cement his role on the team that he's hard to dislodge. Not saying that's going to happen, but that's always a possibility if Jimmy doesnt take care of his body like he should.

I prefer to start Mullens.

Well hung.

Exactly!

I think sitting behind Jimmy will always be a positive for Nick. And if Jimmy is injured, there is always a possibility (knock on wood) that Nick can so cement his role on the team that he's hard to dislodge. Not saying that's going to happen, but that's always a possibility if Jimmy doesnt take care of his body like he should.

The last NFL team to have an almost equal at #2 QB plus having your FR QB in place and locked up...and had the missing piece, the ER,,, or in this case a a pair of them....well, that team, Philly, went on to win the SB. Without their fR QB they wouldn't have gotten there. Without theiir #2 qB they likewise woudn't ahve gotten there.

So it seems we are in rare country, where we have all 3 of the necessary pieces to win it all. Will it be this yr? Maybe, but probably not. First we need to get everyone acquainted with one another (OL for example...now has a yr of being together... DL...not so much), and let each group learn how the guy beside him plays, and then how his group plays with the other groups. (That is, LBs learn how to play next to one another ...and then LBs learn how to play with both DBs and DLs)....Same on O.

We may not win the SB this yr, but we are , in fact , paving the way for making the trek. We are completely rebuilt from 3 yrs ago. Completely. That alone is no small feat, but we have done it with some serious talent additions... Bosa, Ford, Kittle, JG,..and of course, Buck. Then we have a serious just sub Elite coterie of players in Joe S, McG, Quise, Warner, Sherm, Day, Solly, AA, DJJones,, TT, now Hurd and Deebo, Richburg, plus we have Laken and Person coming along, starting for a yr with the other 3 starters. We also ahve 3 RB starters, no mean feat. We also have the best FB in football, OW Au jus. We just acquired the best blocking TE in football last yr...Toilolo. With Kaden we may have 3 TE starters. Imagine that.

We have a great #2 QB, and 2 new asst DC coaches, Woods for DBs, and Kocurek for DL. Maybe that gaggle of guys at DB suddenly comes alive now that we have decent coaches at dB and DL. Kocurke will keep solly as an interior DT where he should have been all along. Woods will hopefully have Moore back at S.

Looking from a distance, this looks like a team that is getting ready to make a run for the title. May not be this yr and maybe we need a couple players to be really ready....starter OG, starter CB/S. Or perhaps this is the yr. Whatever, i don't think we are that far off.

Having a #2 like Mullins is part and parcel of championship runs. YOu ahve to have that guy who can come in and still make the O hum.. In Mullie we have that, and it is incredible how in 2 yrs we ended up going from Joe S and Buck to a team with virtually starters at all but 2 slots...and an excellent #2 qB for insurance. One could argue with JG and Mullie we have the best 1-2 combo QBs in the league. And that is saying something.

Mullie may not be our starter, but he is definitely the best #2 qB of any i can think of. He is certainly good enough to get us home if JG gets hurt. And that to me, anyway, says, a SB run is just around the corner. Oh, and the idle talk about trading Mullie? Fuggedaboudit.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

Well hung.

Exactly!

The last NFL team to have an almost equal at #2 QB plus having your FR QB in place and locked up...and had the missing piece, the ER,,, or in this case a a pair of them....well, that team, Philly, went on to win the SB. Without their fR QB they wouldn't have gotten there. Without theiir #2 qB they likewise woudn't ahve gotten there.

So it seems we are in rare country, where we have all 3 of the necessary pieces to win it all. Will it be this yr? Maybe, but probably not. First we need to get everyone acquainted with one another (OL for example...now has a yr of being together... DL...not so much), and let each group learn how the guy beside him plays, and then how his group plays with the other groups. (That is, LBs learn how to play next to one another ...and then LBs learn how to play with both DBs and DLs)....Same on O.

We may not win the SB this yr, but we are , in fact , paving the way for making the trek. We are completely rebuilt from 3 yrs ago. Completely. That alone is no small feat, but we have done it with some serious talent additions... Bosa, Ford, Kittle, JG,..and of course, Buck. Then we have a serious just sub Elite coterie of players in Joe S, McG, Quise, Warner, Sherm, Day, Solly, AA, DJJones,, TT, now Hurd and Deebo, Richburg, plus we have Laken and Person coming along, starting for a yr with the other 3 starters. We also ahve 3 RB starters, no mean feat. We also have the best FB in football, OW Au jus. We just acquired the best blocking TE in football last yr...Toilolo. With Kaden we may have 3 TE starters. Imagine that.

We have a great #2 QB, and 2 new asst DC coaches, Woods for DBs, and Kocurek for DL. Maybe that gaggle of guys at DB suddenly comes alive now that we have decent coaches at dB and DL. Kocurke will keep solly as an interior DT where he should have been all along. Woods will hopefully have Moore back at S.

Looking from a distance, this looks like a team that is getting ready to make a run for the title. May not be this yr and maybe we need a couple players to be really ready....starter OG, starter CB/S. Or perhaps this is the yr. Whatever, i don't think we are that far off.

Having a #2 like Mullins is part and parcel of championship runs. YOu ahve to have that guy who can come in and still make the O hum.. In Mullie we have that, and it is incredible how in 2 yrs we ended up going from Joe S and Buck to a team with virtually starters at all but 2 slots...and an excellent #2 qB for insurance. One could argue with JG and Mullie we have the best 1-2 combo QBs in the league. And that is saying something.

Mullie may not be our starter, but he is definitely the best #2 qB of any i can think of. He is certainly good enough to get us home if JG gets hurt. And that to me, anyway, says, a SB run is just around the corner. Oh, and the idle talk about trading Mullie? Fuggedaboudit.

Foles already had a 27 TD 2 INT (!!!) season under his belt in his first stint at Philly before being sent to drown in Jeff Fisher's high school offense. Puh-leeeeease. When Mullens does that, then we can compare them as backups.
Originally posted by RTFirefly:
Foles already had a 27 TD 2 INT (!!!) season under his belt in his first stint at Philly before being sent to drown in Jeff Fisher's high school offense. Puh-leeeeease. When Mullens does that, then we can compare them as backups.

Ryan Fitzpatrick has thrown for a godawful lot of yards in this league, with more success as a backup than as a starter.
Joe Flacco has won a SB, been a starter all his career, and will be the backup in Denver very, very soon.

I didn't have to look these up to find them. There are a lot of good backups in this league.
[ Edited by RTFirefly on May 27, 2019 at 1:35 PM ]

Ryan Fitzpatrick has thrown for a godawful lot of yards in this league, with more success as a backup than as a starter.
Joe Flacco has won a SB, been a starter all his career, and will be the backup in Denver very, very soon.

I didn't have to look these up to find them. There are a lot of good backups in this league.

All true, but Mullins has had very little NFL PT, and in that short period of time, he has impressed me in just his first yr. His coolness under fire and quick release, plus quick reads....for a first yr guy...outstanding. Not saying the other qBs mentioned aren't, but we were looking at a rook in there, brot in on a whim, with no time as practice starter , or if so , very little. For a backup, right now, based on rook partial season play? I'd take him over anyone but Foles...and he no longer is a backup. I was talking about the here and now. Also he did all that with NO OL...or none to speak of. The kid got pasted, got up and kept on ticking. You gotta like that.

Let's put it this way...if we get on a run, and JG needs a game or two off...let's say minor nick...i think Mullie would step right in and run the O with not a huge falloff. I think he would keep us in it. And that for a team that 2 yrs ago had 2 starters, Buck and Joe S...and nothing else? That is freaking amazing. We are incredibly lucky ...and our GM/HC have done a spectacular job with doing a complete rebuild in just 3 months more than 2 yrs.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on May 27, 2019 at 2:29 PM ]
All true, but Mullins has had very little NFL PT, and in that short period of time, he has impressed me in just his first yr. His coolness under fire and quick release, plus quick reads....for a first yr guy...outstanding. Not saying the other qBs mentioned aren't, but we were looking at a rook in there, brot in on a whim, with no time as practice starter , or if so , very little. For a backup, right now, based on rook partial season play? I'd take him over anyone but Foles...and he no longer is a backup. I was talking about the here and now. Also he did all that with NO OL...or none to speak of. The kid got pasted, got up and kept on ticking. You gotta like that.

Let's put it this way...if we get on a run, and JG needs a game or two off...let's say minor nick...i think Mullie would step right in and run the O with not a huge falloff. I think he would keep us in it. And that for a team that 2 yrs ago had 2 starters, Buck and Joe S...and nothing else? That is freaking amazing. We are incredibly lucky ...and our GM/HC have done a spectacular job with doing a complete rebuild in just 3 months more than 2 yrs.

They have, at the very least, continued to grow in "watchability". Great developments on both sides of the team.

Being able to have potentially two QBs is one of the overlooked things this front office has done. It is also why the trade Nick Mullens stuff made no sense to me.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I prefer to start Mullens.

Mullens has done well enough to start over CJ - that's for sure. I am hoping Mullens give Jimmy all the competition Jimmy can handle. I hope Mullens comes out smoking and throwing for a ton of yards when he plays and scares the beejeesus out of Jimmy into thinking he might lose his job. I like that kind of competition at the QB position. When Joe had Steve breathing right behind him, he had his best years.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Being able to have potentially two QBs is one of the overlooked things this front office has done. It is also why the trade Nick Mullens stuff made no sense to me.

Which is exactly why, Lifelong, when someone came up with that idea i said, "fuggedaboudit" . It isn't happening. Kudos to whoever it was, scarangelo, kyle, whoever, for picking him out of the cast of thousands. Maybe somebody, somewhere , is trying to tell us something. 2 seasons ago we had JG dropped into our laps. Then out of nowhere, this past yr we had Mullie suddenly appear. For a team that had nothing, including no QBs, that seems more than passable strange to me.

Maybe that portends things to come. Also after a terrible stink about WINNING that game up in SEA, look what happened... we get NickyB anyway. Maybe i am readiing too much into this, but somehow things just seem to be coming into alignment. . Dee Ford didn't hurt, either. Same with Deebo and Hurd. The Mullins thing tho...that is the last piece that usually happens before a team makes a legit run. And teams that don't have one....usually get left by the wayside. So we'll see.
Mullens is a fine backup but don't expect him to lead us thru the playoffs. When he played last year Kyle simplified the pass plays so he wouldn't have too many options. That enabled Nick to make the read and get rid of the ball quickly. Most of the plays were quick 15-20 yard routes with Kittle turning some of them into long plays. I'm not knocking Mullens but he is limited in what he can do. That's okay for a backup. He's solid and doesn't make a lot of mistakes but he isn't the guy that could take you through the playoffs where the defenses get tougher.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
That enabled Nick to make the read and get rid of the ball quickly. Most of the plays were quick 15-20 yard routes with Kittle turning some of them into long plays. I'm not knocking Mullens but he is limited in what he can do.

That's when every drive is at its best and we always see success. Why in the world we don't run more quick pass options and slants is maddening. That's where the offense has had the most success, it's the way every drive should be run.

I think you're selling Mullens very short if you think he's limited . Not saying he's Montana, but I but he will prove to be better than quite a few more high profile QBs in recent years.
[ Edited by KamLeon on May 28, 2019 at 9:36 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone