There are 200 users in the forums

Solomon Thomas, DT

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:
I wish he wasn't a steaming pile of dog s**t.

Lol what a douchebag
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Heroism:
If you only saw a second or two of Solomon Thomas at the moment the ball is snapped when he's at nose during yesterday's game, you'd think he's a baller. He consistently gets off, resets the LOS and creates pushback.

But after that, the second half of the play is extremely disappointing. Struggles to get free if he's hooked or make a play on the ball once he's in the backfield. He needs to learn how to finish.

And for the love of god, please stop lining him up at edge. It's a waste of a spot on the field. I don't understand why they insisted on lining him up at edge on the final drive when they could have simply switched he and AA and had AA at edge and Solly inside.

Solid, honest assessment. I'd like to see him put on 20-25 pounds of weight and just be a run stopping force. I know his cousin/brother/dad on here who says he's perfect as is disagrees, but the added weight would absolutely help him hold his own inside. He's jacked yes, but it's not a bodybuilding competition in the trenches. He's simply not athletically gifted enough to be a pass rusher inside, so take what he does best (get off the ball and reset the LOS) and amplify it (by adding some body weight).

I know his SPARQ score says he should be able to play outside, but he simply can't. I don't even care if he's a "better" option than whoever else is the backup, I'd rather see Cassius Marsh there than Thomas. He does nothing, offers nothing on the outside. It's a disservice to him, the team, and fans to have him there.

Is that an official Next Gen Stat?
Can we get our money back ?
Dam that's harsh bro
This guy sucks
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
This guy sucks

Math checks out
40 snaps on Sunday and had 29 pass rushing attempts with one QB hit. Sheldon Day played better than him with half the snaps.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
40 snaps on Sunday and had 29 pass rushing attempts with one QB hit. Sheldon Day played better than him with half the snaps.

I just don't understand how he can be this bad when engaged -- if his first move doesn't work, he is finished 99% of the time. It is maddening.
If you only saw a second or two of Solomon Thomas at the moment the ball is snapped when he's at nose during yesterday's game, you'd think he's a baller. He consistently gets off, resets the LOS and creates pushback.

But after that, the second half of the play is extremely disappointing. Struggles to get free if he's hooked or make a play on the ball once he's in the backfield. He needs to learn how to finish.

And for the love of god, please stop lining him up at edge. It's a waste of a spot on the field. I don't understand why they insisted on lining him up at edge on the final drive when they could have simply switched he and AA and had AA at edge and Solly inside.

He'd be far better suited for 3T given his get-off and requirements of that position but this 2i/1T couldn't be worse. He can get off but not hold the POA/LOS for long esp. much against 2. Buckner is far better suited for that role now. But yeah, he can't ever seem to do much after the explosion at the snap.

And #SaleHappens

Originally posted by Furlow:
Solid, honest assessment. I'd like to see him put on 20-25 pounds of weight and just be a run stopping force. I know his cousin/brother/dad on here who says he's perfect as is disagrees, but the added weight would absolutely help him hold his own inside. He's jacked yes, but it's not a bodybuilding competition in the trenches. He's simply not athletically gifted enough to be a pass rusher inside, so take what he does best (get off the ball and reset the LOS) and amplify it (by adding some body weight).

I know his SPARQ score says he should be able to play outside, but he simply can't. I don't even care if he's a "better" option than whoever else is the backup, I'd rather see Cassius Marsh there than Thomas. He does nothing, offers nothing on the outside. It's a disservice to him, the team, and fans to have him there.

I especially agree with this.
Originally posted by NCommand:
He'd be far better suited for 3T given his get-off and requirements of that position but this 2i/1T couldn't be worse. He can get off but not hold the POA/LOS for long esp. much against 2. Buckner is far better suited for that role now. But yeah, he can't ever seem to do much after the explosion at the snap.

And #SaleHappens

That's the thing. You want the 2i penetrating, not holding the point. That's why Solly, at least on paper, should be a good candidate for that role.

I kept an eye on him at the game, and the first half his plays when he was at nose were typically really good. It's the second half of the play where he stinks. And if you don't finish the second half of your plays, you go unnoticed. Period.
[ Edited by Heroism on Dec 17, 2019 at 11:40 AM ]
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

And #SaleHappens

That's the thing. You want the 2i penetrating, not holding the point. That's why Solly, at least on paper, should be a good candidate for that role.

I kept an eye on him at the game, and the first half his plays when he was at nose were typically really good. It's the second half of the play where he stinks. And if you don't finish the second half of your plays, you go unnoticed. Period.

I see the same thing you're seeing. And I really think it's because after that initial explosion, physics takes over and his bodyweight is simply not enough to withstand the weight/strength of the C/G combo blocks he's trying to take on. His only hope for a future in this league is to bulk up and be a run stopping DT. Perhaps he'll slowly get better at pass rush moves but it's just not his forte.

He really would have been the perfect DT 15-20 years ago.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Can we get our money back ?

Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
This guy sucks

Ridiculous posts. No place for them in NT. He's a Niner, keep it constructive. Posts like these simply distract from what is otherwise a good conversation about one of our players.

And #SaleHappens

Uh, no. It is exactly the opposite. Thomas is one of the best POA run defenders in the league. Buckner is one of the worst. I have shown this through numerous clips on here.

I haven't done the calculations yet, but I suspect teams are averaging under 3 yards per carry running at Thomas's gap.
Share 49ersWebzone