LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 227 users in the forums

Solomon Thomas, DT

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by KittleSkittle:
Does anyone outside of the Niner fan base consider him a top 2 or 3 DT? His PFF grade is middle of the pack and his peers didn't even vote for him as one of the top #100 players. I'm not saying those are definitive ratings, but I don't recall ever seeing him mentioned as even a top 5 DT outside of 49er circles. Whether we resign him or not will depend on what he's actually asking for, but I don't think he's worth paying $20 million a year.

Naw nobody sees him as top 2 or 3 yet. For what it's worth, He was only behind Donald , Watt, and Jones in sacks among DTs. He did have more tackles then all of them though. It's tough to get love when you're doing everything right but the defense still sucks. If we ever become recognized as a top defense and Buck is still playing the way he does then he'll get the credit he deserves. Hopefully we pay him before he gets that credit though.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by SFrush:
Solly is going to get a lot of playing time next year when Blair, Armstead, Sheldon Day, and maybe even possibly Ford and Buckner are all gone. Let's hope he can play.

Yeah that's not happening.

We'll see. Our contract with Ford gives us a clean out after this year and this knee issue doesn't look like it's ever going to go away and he's likely going to miss games due to it. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but it's definitely a possibility.

[b]As for Buckner, next year is his last year under contract and we have to seriously consider whether it's worth paying $20 million a year for a top 10-15 DT. Not saying he's gone for sure, but again, it's a possibility.

The point is we're looking at a lot of turnover on the d-line next year and Solly is likely going to have a much bigger role.

What?

Buckner is a top 2 or 3 DT.

If Lynch tries to replace Buckner, the best player on the team, with Thomas, he should be fired.

Does anyone outside of the Niner fan base consider him a top 2 or 3 DT? His PFF grade is middle of the pack and his peers didn't even vote for him as one of the top #100 players. I'm not saying those are definitive ratings, but I don't recall ever seeing him mentioned as even a top 5 DT outside of 49er circles. Whether we resign him or not will depend on what he's actually asking for, but I don't think he's worth paying $20 million a year.

I have heard analysts call him a top 3 interior lineman.

He is the best player on the team, they better plan to be able to sign him. They spend like crazy on veteran average RBs, they better have money saved for retaining great players.
Solly is going to get a lot of playing time next year when Blair, Armstead, Sheldon Day, and maybe even possibly Ford and Buckner are all gone. Let's hope he can play.

We'll see. Our contract with Ford gives us a clean out after this year and this knee issue doesn't look like it's ever going to go away and he's likely going to miss games due to it. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but it's definitely a possibility.

[b]As for Buckner, next year is his last year under contract and we have to seriously consider whether it's worth paying $20 million a year for a top 10-15 DT. Not saying he's gone for sure, but again, it's a possibility.

The point is we're looking at a lot of turnover on the d-line next year and Solly is likely going to have a much bigger role.

What?

If Lynch tries to replace Buckner, the best player on the team, with Thomas, he should be fired.

I have heard analysts call him a top 3 interior lineman.

He is the best player on the team, they better plan to be able to sign him. They spend like crazy on veteran average RBs, they better have money saved for retaining great players.

Yup, i'd bet legit furious is they let Buck walk. Dudes a stud and one of my favorite current 49ers.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Yup, i'd bet legit furious is they let Buck walk. Dudes a stud and one of my favorite current 49ers.

He is surely going nowhere.
Originally posted by Youngone:
Buckner isn't going anywhere and I wouldn't be surprised if Armstead is extended.

Ditto

Especially id AA keeps playing at the level he's been doing.

[Which I hope he keeps up]
Originally posted by English:

Obviously, he is going nowhere. But there was a headscratching post about Buckner not being extended and Solomon Thomas taking over for him. Ridiculous post. Team would be so much worse.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by English:

Obviously, he is going nowhere. But there was a headscratching post about Buckner not being extended and Solomon Thomas taking over for him. Ridiculous post. Team would be so much worse.

Nobody said that.

The reality is that next year is that at least Armstead, Blair, and Sheldon Day will be gone. It's pure fantasy to think any of those guys will be back. Our cap space is not what it used to be and if Armstead and Blair continue to perform they'll get a lot more money in FA. We'll need Thomas to play a much more important role next year.

As for Buckner, we'll probably resign him to a huge deal. He's not on the level of a Donald or Cox or even Chris Jones, Geno Atkins, or Grady Jarrett though.
Nobody said that.

The reality is that next year is that at least Armstead, Blair, and Sheldon Day will be gone. It's pure fantasy to think any of those guys will be back. Our cap space is not what it used to be and if Armstead and Blair continue to perform they'll get a lot more money in FA. We'll need Thomas to play a much more important role next year.

As for Buckner, we'll probably resign him to a huge deal. He's not on the level of a Donald or Cox or even Chris Jones, Geno Atkins, or Grady Jarrett though.

He was wrecking Cincy all game long on Sunday. Played a better game then Atkins did.

I don't know that Blair will get big money. High motor Des without elite tools don't usually. I could see him back as 3rd De pretty easily.

Armstead and Day are gone I would agree.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Sep 20, 2019 at 11:02 AM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

What?

Are we talking about the same Solomon Thomas here? It is a well known fact he is a blatant bust. To even put his name in the same sentence with Buckner in itself is ridiculous. Buckner had 12 sacks last season, if that is not enough to warrant $20 mil a year, then how many sacks does he need? Solomon Thomas on the other hand had 1 sack for the whole of 2018. So, how the hell will Thomas be able to replace that kind of production from Buckner??
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Nobody said that.

We won't keep all 3, but easily can keep AA or the Blair/Day combo. We will have approx $25M in space that rolls over from this year, on top of what we already have.

Also, top TE contracts are not cap killers. Plus, Kittle will very likely be an extension (not a complete redo). Which means his 2020 will only be minimally altered. That goes for Buckner as well.

They can easily transition tag AA and see what the market bears for him.

And I can't imagine Thomas is back on this roster at $9M.

Long story short -- the Niners can do anything they want.

Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:
💩= Solomon Thomas

We got that with the #3 overall pick!

That poop could have been Mahomes!

I still can't believe that...
  • dj43
Originally posted by okdkid:
We won't keep all 3, but easily can keep AA or the Blair/Day combo. We will have approx $25M in space that rolls over from this year, on top of what we already have.

Also, top TE contracts are not cap killers. Plus, Kittle will very likely be an extension (not a complete redo). Which means his 2020 will only be minimally altered. That goes for Buckner as well.

I agree.

There is also the possibility that some of these guys will give a discount in order to stay with a young team on the rise. That could come in the way of incentives rather than salary, or any number of other options to stay on a team with deep playoff potential if we can keep the strong front line rotation together.
Originally posted by dj43:

I agree.

There is also the possibility that some of these guys will give a discount in order to stay with a young team on the rise. That could come in the way of incentives rather than salary, or any number of other options to stay on a team with deep playoff potential if we can keep the strong front line rotation together.

Isn't Thomas' 4 year rookie deal fully guaranteed until the 5th year option?
  • dj43
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by dj43:

I agree.

Counts $8,958,000 against the cap next year, per overthecap.com

EDIT: I should have said "dead money."
[ Edited by dj43 on Sep 20, 2019 at 12:15 PM ]
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by glorydayz:

No. If he is cut we get an approx $4.5M cap savings. The only thing that is fully guaranteed is the 5th year option... which he obviously will never get.
Share 49ersWebzone