LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 195 users in the forums

OT Garry Gilliam thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Sounds like Gilliam is going to get a real shot at the starting RT job. He was truly awful for Seattle, so I'm not getting my hopes up. Maybe he's a better scheme fit here with his athleticism. Seattle is more of an inside zone team. Here we'll incorporate a lot more outsize zone so he can move in space as opposed to down blocking.
So Shanalynch finished scouting the OL and realized it is slim pickings this year. I guess he will be moved to Guard, possibly replacing Beadles in the starting lineup
(Staley-Garnett-Zuttah-Gilliam-Brown). Beadles would then take the utility backup (Adam Snyder) role.

Now the team has 4 some depth at tackle, with 2 scrubs (Theus, Price) and two replacement-level veterans who should stay inside (Beadles and Gilliam).
Originally posted by Poldarn49:
So Shanalynch finished scouting the OL and realized it is slim pickings this year. I guess he will be moved to Guard, possibly replacing Beadles in the starting lineup
(Staley-Garnett-Zuttah-Gilliam-Brown). Beadles would then take the utility backup (Adam Snyder) role.

Now the team has 4 some depth at tackle, with 2 scrubs (Theus, Price) and two replacement-level veterans who should stay inside (Beadles and Gilliam).

I mostly agree, but I see it like this (yet another interesting thing to watch for during the off season):

What our line looks like now (looks decent to me):

Staley -- Beadles -- Zuttah -- Garnett -- Brown

First OLineman off the Bench is backup G/C Kilgore. He either fills in for the hurt G/C, or subs for Beadles, and Beadles kicks to the hurt OT.

Scary -> Second OLineman off the bench is Who? Theus (Let's hope so). Gilliam? If it's Gilliam, then that means Theus got beat by Gilliam, which is depressing for two reasons: Gilliam isn't good, and Theus couldn't beat him.

So, best case: Gilliam is our third OLineman off the bench, in case a third starting OLineman gets hurt. If we have three starting OL go down, we're screwed, though not many teams can handle three starting OL going down anyway.
[ Edited by Lobo49er on Apr 18, 2017 at 12:20 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
More evidence this will be a defensive-focused draft.

My feeling as well. 49ers did work in Free Agency, especially on offense. This is a great defensive draft.

This draft is widely regarded as particularly weak at the Oline positions as well.
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
I mostly agree, but I see it like this (yet another interesting thing to watch for during the off season):

First OLineman off the Bench is backup G/C Kilgore. He either fills in for the hurt G/C, or subs for Beadles, and Beadles kicks to the hurt OT.

Scary -> Second OLineman off the bench is Who? Theus (Let's hope so). Gilliam? If it's Gilliam, then that means Theus got beat by Gilliam, which is depressing for two reasons: Gilliam isn't good, and Theus couldn't beat him.

So, best case: Gilliam is our third OLineman off the bench, in case a third starting OLineman gets hurt. If we have three starting OL go down, we're screwed, though not many teams can handle three starting OL going down anyway.

Best case: Theus beats out Gilliam and sends this bum packing back to Seattle.

Oh, and Trent Brown drops about 30 lbs.
[ Edited by Heroism on Apr 18, 2017 at 12:46 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:

lol, or that.
Originally posted by Heroism:

Oh, and Trent Brown drops about 30 lbs.

Nah....best case is by some miracle he was just a terrible scheme fit and we stole a pro bowler....it aint gonna happen, but that is definitely best case.
Originally posted by slowriot:
  • A low cost signing at a position of need that will provide depth and competition at the very least.
  • Further weakens our most dangerous rival's already suspect o-line in a draft with few viable replacements

I like it

PLUS this is one of the worst drafts if a team needs an OT. I like the signing, low cost, hurts a rival, and I predict he will supplant the RT because he will be in better condition to down field block in a zone scheme. This might be one of the scenarios were Lynch and company look really smart by week 8. If the player busts it is a one year deal, cut him.
Originally posted by 9erred:
Originally posted by slowriot:
  • A low cost signing at a position of need that will provide depth and competition at the very least.
  • Further weakens our most dangerous rival's already suspect o-line in a draft with few viable replacements

I like it

PLUS this is one of the worst drafts if a team needs an OT. I like the signing, low cost, hurts a rival, and I predict he will supplant the RT because he will be in better condition to down field block in a zone scheme. This might be one of the scenarios were Lynch and company look really smart by week 8. If the player busts it is a one year deal, cut him.

All this - both posts.
I think this could actually help the Seahawks. They might feel more urgency to grab someone like Forrest Lamp in the first round now.

• fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Gilliam was the worst starter on the worst OL in football....and he ended up getting benched.

Enough said.

I guess injured doesnt mean anything
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Negative webzone about a good move = standard

He played injured all of 2016, but still played well and took his spot back after healed. Yeah hes terrible I hope he breaks his leg, gets ran over.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Poldarn49:

Lobo did you do research or just assuming, he was at his best all of 2016?
  • fan49
  • Veteran
OK negative ass webzone.

He was injured in preseason, he never healed. He was supposed to take over for Okung, but because of injury he might have sucked.

At the end of the season when he was healed and took his job back, he played well in season and playoffs.

MAYBE JUST MAYBE HE SUCKED DUE TO HIS INJURY!!!! CAN ANYONE PROVE THATS NOT THE CASE?

AND MAYBE THE GM IS BEING SMART, getting a guy kyle liked, maybe hes saving for something, WHO KNOWS!?!?

NOT YOU OR ME!

Maybe do research before you turn negative.
Originally posted by fan49:
Negative webzone about a good move = standard
I'm curious what constitutes as a "bad" move. If signing one of the worst offensive tackles in the league constitutes as a "good move", then I guess it goes so show that we can put an optimistic, good-if-he-hits-his-90th-percentile-projection spin on every signing.

I'm not mad the 49ers signed Gilliam, but this move is being romanticized. It's just a generic depth signing. It is hardly a power move to one-up Seattle. It is ultimately probably completely inconsequential. It is not a good move, it is just a move.

(For what it's worth I think Lynch and Co. have done a tremendous job this offseason.)
Share 49ersWebzone