There are 220 users in the forums

2016 Vegas odds re-visited

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JBrack:
Originally posted by LVJay:
I'm no expert, my man, but sometimes the odds on other sports (baseball especially) look slightly different and the vig is somewhat misleading (imo). That being said, there's always odds on the game (who will be the winner of the game) so, even if it isn't obvious, i.e., Patriots -3 1/2 vs Bears, there's always a favorite unless the spread is even...

It gets confusing even after that because (let's just say Bears vs 49ers but no favorite) it could be -115 for 49ers to win and -105 for Bears to win. The vig kinda just ****s things up and usually helps Sports Books / Bookies beat the average Joes (which is majority of bettors).

I'm already getting a headache just going over it lol

Im know expert either, if I was I would be rich already brother.

Here is the thing!!! Every game has a moneyline, point spread and vig.

You only pay vig on handicapped bets. If you play the Moneyline their is no vig...

Lol

Hey when are you going to put up a future bets thread (odds on winning the SB and early lines), there's a couple of links above unless you have other preferred sites.

Oh btw, when the games kick off, be sure to post up some of your opinions on certain games and what you'll be betting... I always like learning (knowledge has no limits)
[ Edited by LVJay on May 1, 2017 at 11:02 PM ]
On point!

The vig is added into the line (it's part of the oddsmaker's numbers, which is somewhat tweaking with spread/odds), especially money line, hence I mentioned earlier, the vigorish is partially part of the odds (imo).

Thats a big misconception. Im a little buzzed to explain this. Im going to reference it for you instead...

Bookmakers use this practice to make money on their wagers regardless of the outcome. To minimize their risk, some bookmakers do not want to have an interest in any side winning in a given sporting event. Instead, they are interested in getting equal betting on all outcomes of the event. In this way, the bookmaker minimizes his risk and always collects a small commission from the vigorish. For this purpose, the bookmaker will normally adjust the odds or the line.

It has little to do with odds. Its about getting even money bets brother.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JBrack:
On point!

The vig is added into the line (it's part of the oddsmaker's numbers, which is somewhat tweaking with spread/odds), especially money line, hence I mentioned earlier, the vigorish is partially part of the odds (imo).

Thats a big misconception. Im a little buzzed to explain this. Im going to reference it for you instead...

Bookmakers use this practice to make money on their wagers regardless of the outcome. To minimize their risk, some bookmakers do not want to have an interest in any side winning in a given sporting event. Instead, they are interested in getting equal betting on all outcomes of the event. In this way, the bookmaker minimizes his risk and always collects a small commission from the vigorish. For this purpose, the bookmaker will normally adjust the odds or the line.

It has little to do with odds. Its about getting even money bets brother.

I'm a little buzzed myself

Thanks for those pointers, man, much appreciated...
Share 49ersWebzone