LISTEN: What's Stopping The 49ers From A Super Bowl Run? →

There are 90 users in the forums

NY Jets HC-Robert Saleh

Shop 49ers game tickets
To me it's more how many blown assignments there are on defense, and how confused the guys in the secondary are before and after the snap.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FL9er:
Originally posted by jcs:
You replace him because this team is 1-6 and his defense is ranked 31 in the league in points per game given up. Last in turnovers. Last in Sacks.

Nonsense. I'm not saying he's Dick LeBeau, but that speaks more to a lack of talent more than anything else.
Missed tackles, missed assignments, Diamond Formation and his D leads the NFL in missed tackles.
Originally posted by okdkid:
I don't know what the point of firing Saleh would be if he's not replaced with a clear and obvious proven DC.

I'm talking about a Gus Bradley, Wade Phillips type.

When healthy in 2019 -- after a few FA and draft additions -- this is a team with legitimate playoff hopes. There's no need to make a change simply to pacify a frustrated fan base if the new coach isn't obviously a playoff caliber DC.

Well everyone and their mother wanted Wade after the work he did in Denver, and we went after Bradley and Fangio but neither came to fruition, so what can you do?

We could try Jack del Rio, or Todd Bowles if he gets fired. Pete Carroll and Dan Quinn are pipe dreams let's be real.
You replace him because this team is 1-6 and his defense is ranked 31 in the league in points per game given up. Last in turnovers. Last in Sacks.

We're not last in sacks, but we are bottom 5. The rest is correct.

But hey we're 19th in yards allowed! And have more sacks than the Patriots!!
Originally posted by WestCoastForever:
I don't know what the point of firing Saleh would be if he's not replaced with a clear and obvious proven DC.

When healthy in 2019 -- after a few FA and draft additions -- this is a team with legitimate playoff hopes. There's no need to make a change simply to pacify a frustrated fan base if the new coach isn't obviously a playoff caliber DC.

Agree.

No. You give him talented to succeed.
  • jcs
  • Veteran

Agree.

He has a lot of young talent that he's not developing, a lot of it has actually regressed under his watch.
As much as I don't like Saleh the number 1 issue right now is talent and lack of play makers on the defense. Getting rid of Saleh and not addressing the talent won't help. We need to do both

Agree.

He has a lot of young talent that he's not developing, a lot of it has actually regressed under his watch.

There aren't many who would say this team has "a lot" of talent on defense. There is some. And there certainly are some that could be developed, But many that need to be replaced with better players in nearly every position. You can't make chicken salad with a little chicken and a lot of chicken "bleep."
He needs to go. The defense doesn't even have that many players injured. So many high draft picks. Everyone seems to be regressing as well. There is no excuse for this defense to suck so much. You even have a shutdown corner!

Agree.

I completely agree. It's no accident that Colbert, Foster and Witherspoon all of a sudden can't play. The guy needs to be replaced after the clock hits zero in the finale.

Agree.

Originally posted by Aj_hwd954:

Agree.

This

We are 31st in points, and that is all that matters
Originally posted by lamontb:
As much as I don't like Saleh the number 1 issue right now is talent and lack of play makers on the defense. Getting rid of Saleh and not addressing the talent won't help. We need to do both

that is true, but he's not getting the most out of the few good defensive players we have. our scheme is too predictable, and we don't have all pros ready to play this vanilla cover 3. he just can't out smart other OCs, and that's a huge problem. he needs to go before he ruins the confidence of our players.
Originally posted by TheGore49er:

that is true, but he's not getting the most out of the few good defensive players we have. our scheme is too predictable, and we don't have all pros ready to play this vanilla cover 3. he just can't out smart other OCs, and that's a huge problem. he needs to go before he ruins the confidence of our players.
I agree with you. We do need some upgrades though. But I simply don't think he's a great teacher per se. He's just not teaching whatever it is correctly. It's not getting through to the players.

Along with this, tho, is where an ace DC , proven, hard disciplinarian, great motivator...could really help John and kyle...where? In FA and draft, where they obviously need help. And no more kylee jumping up and taking his QB or his RB. Let the GM, DC and HC do that...of which he is just 1/3. He has not had great choices at QB, wth Hoyer and CJ. Nor at RB with Joe W. Kyle isn't as infallible as the thinks he is. A great DC would be incredibly helpful. For a lot of reasons.
Share 49ersWebzone