There are 204 users in the forums

NY Jets HC-Robert Saleh

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
No but Walsh did! He also learned that fast smart players were better than slow smart players.

Whoooa now. Is this accurate? Haha
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 49erphan:
I just got around to watching the video of Saleh's last meeting with the press. One thing that caught my ear that he said is that out of the crew of people that they have competing for the LEO spot, he had a feeling that one of them may just turn out to be a pass rushing stud. I imagine he is talking about Attaochu, Marsh or Pita. Who do you think he is most likely talking about?

It really depends on opportunities. Most of the LEO's you mentioned are only going to get a shot to play in split with Thomas on base downs there. If Pita wins at SAM and proves to be the 2nd best ER, he could conceivably play, almost every down.

Of the 3 who should have the best QB pressure rate, it'll probably end up with Attaochu with a slight edge over Marsh.

Yeah, I was going from memory about the Saleh interview; I think maybe he talked more generally that he felt that one of those guys might turn out to be a stud pass rusher (instead of talking exclusively about LEO like a said above).
[ Edited by 49erphan on Jun 3, 2018 at 4:57 PM ]
I just got around to watching the video of Salah's last meeting with the press. One thing that caught my ear that he said is that out of the crew of people that they have competing for the LEO spot, he had a feeling that one of them may just turn out to be a pass rushing stud. I imagine he is talking about Attaochu, Marsh or Pita. Who do you think he is most likely talking about?

It really depends on opportunities. Most of the LEO's you mentioned are only going to get a shot to play in split with Thomas on base downs there. If Pita wins at SAM and proves to be the 2nd best ER, he could conceivably play, almost every down.

Of the 3 who should have the best QB pressure rate, it'll probably end up with Attaochu with a slight edge over Marsh.

Yeah, I was going from memory about the Salah interview; I think maybe he talked more generally that he felt that one of those guys might turn out to be a stud pass rusher (instead of talking exclusively about LEO like a said above).

Exactly...globally, that guy could be Buckner if he can close on half of his QB hits!
Watching this guy speak you can't help but like him. Hopefully he can translate it into being a good NFL DC. I really wish we got ended up getting Kenny Norton here to help him a little as Saleh's surrounding defensive staff does not look to great (or experienced) on paper. I do think the Chris Kiffin hire was a really solid under the radar hire.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Interesting video on Chris Kiffen.

https://vimeo.com/187205129
Originally posted by Giedi:

Thank you for posting

Good video - thanks for posting. I think D.J. Jones was there during Kiffin's time as DL coach.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:

Good video - thanks for posting. I think D.J. Jones was there during Kiffin's time as DL coach.
Yr Welcome, and if true that D.J. was with Kiffen, that's awesome - and probably the main reason we got a lot of interior linemen in this offseason cycle.
My starting DL will be:

Leo - Attoachu
DT - Mitchell
DT - Buckner
BDE - Thomas

Edge rotational guys
Marsh
Armstead
Blair
Harold

I don't see Armstead better at base down big DE than Thomas & Thomas better than Attoachu at Leo.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PacTiger:
My starting DL will be:

Leo - Attoachu
DT - Mitchell
DT - Buckner
BDE - Thomas

Edge rotational guys
Marsh
Armstead
Blair
Harold

I don't see Armstead better at base down big DE than Thomas & Thomas better than Attoachu at Leo.

Personally, with regards to Attaochu's injury issues - I don't think I'd want him on base unless it's absolutely necessary. I'd go with last years lineup, with Thomas at LEO, and bring in Attaochu on passing downs. My reasoning is that it's a long season, and I don't want to wear him out from the git go and have him suffer a major injury just when we need his pass rushing abilities, specially if we make it to the Playoffs.

Originally posted by PacTiger:
My starting DL will be:

Leo - Attoachu
DT - Mitchell
DT - Buckner
BDE - Thomas

Edge rotational guys
Marsh
Armstead
Blair
Harold

Personally, with regards to Attaochu's injury issues - I don't think I'd want him on base unless it's absolutely necessary. I'd go with last years lineup, with Thomas at LEO, and bring in Attaochu on passing downs. My reasoning is that it's a long season, and I don't want to wear him out from the git go and have him suffer a major injury just when we need his pass rushing abilities, specially if we make it to the Playoffs.

I agree. Remember all gas no breaks? Don't worry about run downs but when we put the edge guys in there we want them having max juice on every snap.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
The nickelback, the fifth defensive back on the field, will be a fixture for the Owls as they transition to defensive coordinator Chris Kiffin's 4-2-5 defense. Last season, FAU's base defense employed three linebackers. This season, the Owls will trot out nickelback Herb Miller to help slow offenses.

Miller, typically lined up inside the numbers, will be asked to do a number of jobs for the Owls defense. He'll be responsible for chasing quick slot receivers and crashing the run game, diagnosing plays before they develop and blitzing the quarterback. In order for Kiffin's 4-2-5 scheme to work, Miller (or backup Quran Hafiz) must be the linchpin.

"If they're comfortable with who's out there, it opens up our defense," Miller said. "You never know what we're doing, so it's very important."http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/fau-owls/fl-sp-fau-football-thursday-20170803-story.html

I read a post by either JD or THL408 regarding the Eagle front defense (5-2 defense) and spotted this while I was trying to learn more about it. Now it made sense that we drafted 3 DB's and got 4 undrafted DB's in this offseason cycle, as well as keeping Ward with his 8+ million price tag this year. In other words, it looks like they are going to sub out the LB and in his place, they are going with a DB. (hence the 4-2-5 that Chris has worked with in the past.) I think a big factor is Jimmy's going to score a lot and they anticipate the other teams going spread do catch up to us - from an opposing offense standpoint.

[ Edited by Giedi on Jun 6, 2018 at 3:25 PM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
No but Walsh did! He also learned that fast smart players were better than slow smart players.

Whoooa now. Is this accurate? Haha

The nickelback, the fifth defensive back on the field, will be a fixture for the Owls as they transition to defensive coordinator Chris Kiffin's 4-2-5 defense. Last season, FAU's base defense employed three linebackers. This season, the Owls will trot out nickelback Herb Miller to help slow offenses.

Miller, typically lined up inside the numbers, will be asked to do a number of jobs for the Owls defense. He'll be responsible for chasing quick slot receivers and crashing the run game, diagnosing plays before they develop and blitzing the quarterback. In order for Kiffin's 4-2-5 scheme to work, Miller (or backup Quran Hafiz) must be the linchpin.

"If they're comfortable with who's out there, it opens up our defense," Miller said. "You never know what we're doing, so it's very important."http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/fau-owls/fl-sp-fau-football-thursday-20170803-story.html

I read a post by either JD or THL408 regarding the Eagle front defense (5-2 defense) and spotted this while I was trying to learn more about it. Now it made sense that we drafted 3 DB's and got 4 undrafted DB's in this offseason cycle, as well as keeping Ward with his 8+ million price tag this year. In other words, it looks like they are going to sub out the LB and in his place, they are going with a DB. (hence the 4-2-5 that Chris has worked with in the past.) I think a big factor is Jimmy's going to score a lot and they anticipate the other teams going spread do catch up to us - from an opposing offense standpoint.

I don't know if this goes with your reasoning or not, but have posted elsewhere i think kyle's Game plan is to own the football all season. That is, hog the ball and play O most of the game....say 38 mins, maybe . This would put the opponents in the position of having to play catch up, and maybe that would mean flying footballs. And for that, we need more DBs, hence the 4-2-5. I don't know if that squares with your thinking or not, but i just got the feeling kyle's Idea of a team with no stand out ER is to keep the ball most of the game. Beat them with TOP. Also he neatly got Pettis who has all the returned punts for TDs, so it may very well be with him, our ST team wins. If our O team wins, that leaves the D. And if they are only on the field 20 mins a game....we should win those battles. If we get the ball and score early and often, one would think the opponents play Air Coryell . And, there, we may have the reasoning for all the DBs.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

I don't know if this goes with your reasoning or not, but have posted elsewhere i think kyle's Game plan is to own the football all season. That is, hog the ball and play O most of the game....say 38 mins, maybe . This would put the opponents in the position of having to play catch up, and maybe that would mean flying footballs. And for that, we need more DBs, hence the 4-2-5. I don't know if that squares with your thinking or not, but i just got the feeling kyle's Idea of a team with no stand out ER is to keep the ball most of the game. Beat them with TOP. Also he neatly got Pettis who has all the returned punts for TDs, so it may very well be with him, our ST team wins. If our O team wins, that leaves the D. And if they are only on the field 20 mins a game....we should win those battles. If we get the ball and score early and often, one would think the opponents play Air Coryell . And, there, we may have the reasoning for all the DBs.

I think on nfl live they just said the highest average top was around 32-33 mins last year.. I could be wrong..

But your thinking 38 mins??

I think just being in the top 5-7 would be huge but I sure don't expect to break records.
[ Edited by jeepzilla on Jun 10, 2018 at 5:38 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone