There are 173 users in the forums

Mark Uyeyama, strength coach

Shop 49ers game tickets
Baalke says this proves it wasn't his fault the ACL guys couldn't play year 1 and in some cases years 2 and 3.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
There's two playoff teams each year with more injured than us. Also, factor in the players we shut down early to a) keep them healthy and b) better our draft position.

Like I said, this really is tangential to whether the guy was doing a good or bad job. I don't have an opinion. Our coaching staff was largely useless the last two years. So what can you say.

Did you see who those outliers were? It's possible...just not likely.

But to your point, we've been absolutely snake bitten for 3 straight years now and nothing seemed to matter...even Kelly's system was supposed to drastically help increase health and yet we still ended up with 22 players on I.R. includes a few before the season even started. I'm not sure what Mark could have done but I'm all for trying a totally different system just to see if we can reserve our luck.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
There's two playoff teams each year with more injured than us. Also, factor in the players we shut down early to a) keep them healthy and b) better our draft position.

Like I said, this really is tangential to whether the guy was doing a good or bad job. I don't have an opinion. Our coaching staff was largely useless the last two years. So what can you say.

Did you see who those outliers were? It's possible...just not likely.

But to your point, we've been absolutely snake bitten for 3 straight years now and nothing seemed to matter...even Kelly's system was supposed to drastically help increase health and yet we still ended up with 22 players on I.R. includes a few before the season even started. I'm not sure what Mark could have done but I'm all for trying a totally different system just to see if we can reserve our luck.
well we shut a lot of players down early because we werent going anywhere too and towards the end of the year every injured player goes on IR but i do think we usually have an unusually high number of injuries every year lately
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
well we shut a lot of players down early because we werent going anywhere too and towards the end of the year every injured player goes on IR but i do think we usually have an unusually high number of injuries every year lately

They've been pretty steady the last three years from TC to mid season to the end. Naturally, all teams, when there are only a few weeks left and a player gets an injury, they go on I.R. too which counts in the overall totals. My bigger concern is not just the large number, what 60+ players on I.R over 3 years, but all the other injured players constantly in and out of the lineup; playing through injuries (clearly not as effective), etc. Just the perfect formula for top 10 picks each year. Props to Harbaugh and a deeper roster in 2014 just to get to 8 wins.
  • dj43
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I think the trend the last few seasons was rather alarming...Niners had a ton of injuries. I looked at all 32 teams in Dec...and you can see the correlation of fewer injuries to more wins...both Atlanta & the Pats had a low number of players on IRL. It's good to address this issue now...before the roster swells during the off-season.

According to mangameslost.com, the 49ers were right in the same range as the Patriots and Falcons in terms of the total number of injuries and man games lost due to injuries. 49ers ranked 23rd in the league with 140 games lost. Pats were 25 and Falcons were 27. San Diego #1 had a monster 300 games lost.

All of which tends to show it wasn't the number of injuries that hurt this team. It was just poor talent.

I have no idea whether or not MU was a good coach or not but the number of injuries alone do not indict him as being a bad coach.

dj is right depending on the metric used. But here's one I lean on heavily and the next one will be released in March (no doubt we'll be on the bottom again for 2016 --- 3 years in a row). So a bit of both sides of the coin. Not many teams can overcome 70+ AGL unless you have a HOF/FQB, great coaching, stable systems, hot year, etc. Only a few outliers on each side of the bell curve.

MGL also notes similar data. By their metric, the loss of Bowman had the 4th greatest impact of any single player in the league.

In any case, I suspect the reason for MU's firing at this point had to do with more than just the number of injuries the team sustained.
Originally posted by SaksV:
Frank Gore was one of the guys who praised Uyeyama while he was here...Patrick Willis, Ray McDonald and Justin Smith mentioned how instrumental he was in their strength room. Was one of the guys Michael Crabtree credited with helping him return from his achilles injury so quickly. I'm not sure he's as horrible of a trainer as many are claiming.

Yeah. Over the years, players were giving him credit for his strength program.
I get the impression that he specializes in making guys bigger and stronger. Lynch might be looking for quicker and more explosive.
[ Edited by zonkers on Feb 3, 2017 at 10:28 AM ]
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by zonkers:
Frank Gore was one of the guys who praised Uyeyama while he was here...Patrick Willis, Ray McDonald and Justin Smith mentioned how instrumental he was in their strength room. Was one of the guys Michael Crabtree credited with helping him return from his achilles injury so quickly. I'm not sure he's as horrible of a trainer as many are claiming.

I get the impression that he specializes in making guys bigger and stronger. Lynch might be looking for quicker and more explosive.

The thing is, it's mobility and flexibility that prevent injury not raw strength or explosiveness. Most injuries occur from a muscle, or joint or whatever being forced to move out of its designed range of motion. The more muscle you have, generally the worse your mobility and flexibility unless you focus on them.
MGL also notes similar data. By their metric, the loss of Bowman had the 4th greatest impact of any single player in the league.

In any case, I suspect the reason for MU's firing at this point had to do with more than just the number of injuries the team sustained.

No question about it!

It fires me up though...more for the fact that someone clearly recognized a big issue here and is, hopefully, taking steps to correct it.
Originally posted by Buchy:

The thing is, it's mobility and flexibility that prevent injury not raw strength or explosiveness. Most injuries occur from a muscle, or joint or whatever being forced to move out of its designed range of motion. The more muscle you have, generally the worse your mobility and flexibility unless you focus on them.

Ah, I see what you mean.
Now I know who they were talking about when Chip said, "You'd have to ask Ferg and Uye about it..." I'm like, who the f*** is Oeey?

Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Now I know who they were talking about when Chip said, "You'd have to ask Ferg and Uye about it..." I'm like, who the f*** is Oeey?

They also call him MSG.
  • dj43

No question about it!

It fires me up though...more for the fact that someone clearly recognized a big issue here and is, hopefully, taking steps to correct it.

Culture change is happening right before our eyes.

• dj43

Speed and quickness is the new NFL.

Bo Schembechler has left the building. You can be big and you can be strong but if you can't reach the other guy then your big and your strong doesn't matter.

Denver won last season with one of the quickest and most explosive set of linebackers since the Willis/Bowman/Aldon years. With more RBs becoming players in the passing game, look for more emphasis on quick, explosive, speedy players.

Kyle has seen what Tevin Coleman can do out of the backfield and how their young, fast LBs have been able to counter that, we may see him put that emphasis in play here as well.

Bo Schembechler has left the building. You can be big and you can be strong but if you can't reach the other guy then your big and your strong doesn't matter.

Denver won last season with one of the quickest and most explosive set of linebackers since the Willis/Bowman/Aldon years. With more RBs becoming players in the passing game, look for more emphasis on quick, explosive, speedy players.

Kyle has seen what Tevin Coleman can do out of the backfield and how their young, fast LBs have been able to counter that, we may see him put that emphasis in play here as well.

If you think that's the case then prepare for an entire regime change on defense more towards a 4-3
  • dj43
Originally posted by YungAce:

If you think that's the case then prepare for an entire regime change on defense more towards a 4-3

It doesn't have to be a 4-3. It just needs speed and quickness.

Most good defenses don't stay in their base all the time anyway.
Share 49ersWebzone