LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 258 users in the forums

Rules that should be changed

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SoCold:
Originally posted by pdizo916:
I HATE the fact that it's 3rd and long and a defensive player gets called for holding (prior to the pass) which is only a 5 yard penalty BUT it is an automatic first down. That's a b******t call and a cop out. It should be a 5 yard penalty only, and if it happens again on the same drive, then give them automatic first downs.

I also hate that defensive holding calls (prior to the pass) is only 5 but offensive holding is 10. They both should be 5 yards. 10 yards is way too harsh of a penalty.

Do not agree. Usually defensive holding happens as the defender holds onto a receiver because they get beat. It's basically a PI call before a pass is thrown. There is nothing wrong with that rule IMO. If it was only a 5 yard penalty you could just pull a receiver down to prevent him from catching a first down before the pass is throw, lol.

On offense you can't take downs away so the 10 yard penalty is needed. If it was only 5 yards guys would be holding even more than they do now.

IMO to fix the missed calls or ticky tack ones that shouldn't be called all plays need to be subject to review. If a team gains 20 yards and there's a holding call that brings the play back and it's in the 2nd Q a coach prob won't challenge that. If there's a minute left in the game and you gain 20 yards to put your team into FG range to win the game and it gets called back on a b******t holding call then you should be able to challenge it.

Yup ever since high school ball my coaches told me if I get beat on the jam just tackle them cause 15 yards is better than 6 points.
Originally posted by TheHYDE49er:
that owners can be replaced for poor decision making.

Exactly, Why should the fans have to suffer.
[ Edited by Wu-5Rings on Oct 21, 2016 at 8:01 AM ]
  • tfer
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
1. Pass Interference SHOULD be reviewable

2. Spiking the ball to stop the clock, isn't that intentional grounding.....who the heck are you throwing to, and the ball isn't pass the line of scrimmage.

3. Tom Brady rule - Defender lunges and accidentally clips the knees of the QB.....Oh please,this rule is so inconsistent, get this crap outta here.

4. If the receiver catches the ball and pulls it in but losses it, it should be consider a fumble. Stop with this stupid "But did he make a football move" crap.

5. Offensive pass interference SHOULD be 15 yards and NOT 10.

That's all I can come up with right now that really bugs the s**t outta me.
All of this.

Plus I despise the "half the distance to the goal". If you get caught hold a D-Lineman and the LOS is the 11 yard line, you should get the ball at the 1 yard line.

If you get caught at the 9 yardline, you should get the ball st the 1 yardline, AND lose the down. A penalty should be a penalty, and an illegal procedure call at the 2, means you lose a yard. That's not a penalty, that's a joke. Take away a down.
The extra point should be eliminated all together.
Thursday night football
The rules are in a pretty good place now imo. The problem is consistency. Need more refs watching the game on monitors or something.

Other than that, I'd say harsher penalties for hits to the helmet. E.g., the Denver v. Cam Newton game should have gotten like 3 people suspended. If the goal is to legislate that s**t out of the game, then really go for it. On that note, have a rule that requires refs to treat black quarterbacks like white quarterbacks.
  • titan
  • Veteran
No way a 40 an offense deserve a 40yd defensive pass interferance play by throwing a Hail Mary!!!

Offensive Pass interferance is only 15 yd penalty.

No more free plays for the offense on off sides penalty. Make it automatic dead ball 10 yd penalty.
Pass interference can be no longer than 15 yards.

Practice squad should be increased to 15 players. 53 players dress on Sundays.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Remove targeting rule! If you are coming across the field to catch that football you are the target. FINE THE OC FOR CALLING THAT PLAY.
And stop calling PI cause the receiver has to completely adjust to a bad pass. If the ball is under thrown and a DB runs into the receiver the QB gets rewarded with a huge chunk of yards and a first down. On a bad pass. He gets rewarded. What other position in sport gets that kinda reward.

Protect the defense equally as the league protects the offence.

PI - no penalty should be more than 15 yards, there should not be a penalty that nets 40 yards Open it to challenge.

Leading with the crown of the helmet should be applied to the ball carriers as well.

Get rid of the "Tuck rule". A fumble is a fumble.

Stiff arm - Facemask/Hands to the face should be applied to runners who stiffarms anywhere at the head or face.

Helmet-to-helmet - needs to seriously be re-thought and make it subject to challenge, and/or booth review to determine intention

Place censors in the balls, yard sticks, and at the goallines. This technology has long existed and would be relatively cheap for the NFL to implement.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Protect the defense equally as the league protects the offence.

PI - no penalty should be more than 15 yards, there should not be a penalty that nets 40 yards Open it to challenge.

Leading with the crown of the helmet should be applied to the ball carriers as well.

Get rid of the "Tuck rule". A fumble is a fumble.

Stiff arm - Facemask/Hands to the face should be applied to runners who stiffarms anywhere at the head or face.

Helmet-to-helmet - needs to seriously be re-thought and make it subject to challenge, and/or booth review to determine intention

Place censors in the balls, yard sticks, and at the goallines. This technology has long existed and would be relatively cheap for the NFL to implement.

Look up Crowning NFL rule. It exist just never called. And just friendly warning don't just type in Crowning. Unless you wanna lose your appetite.
I've seen a lot of good ones here. Let me add:
If the ball carrier is in the grasp of the defense, and gives up, fine, the ball is marked there. However, if the ball carrier is still attempting to make progress and is still not moving, the play is still live. Does the NFCC game ring a bell here? Giants fumbled the ball and Niners recovered, but since there was no forward progress, the play ended, even though Jacobs was still attempting to gain ground.
[ Edited by JimA49ers on Oct 22, 2016 at 6:59 AM ]
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JimA49ers:
I've seen a lot of good ones here. Let me add:
If the ball carrier is in the grasp of the defense, and gives up, fine, the ball is marked there. However, if the ball carrier is still attempting to make progress and is still not moving, the play is still live. Does the NFCC game ring a bell here? Giants fumbled the ball and Niners recovered, but since there was no forward progress, the play ended, even though Jacobs was still attempting to gain ground.

Good one. Offensive plays are live until they are down.
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Thursday night football

+1
Share 49ersWebzone