LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 129 users in the forums

QB Jeff Driskel - 6th Round Pick

Shop 49ers game tickets
give this kid time. he's got the tools no doubt about it. just needs some good coaching & work put in & I wouldn't be surprised if he blossoms into some good value.

He went through some s**t in college & endured & finished good at La Tech. LOL won me a whole bunch of money. We got other issues in front of him to be worrying about.
His name bothers me though so idk about the guy
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Zachary:
His name bothers me though so idk about the guy

He's our future franchise Qb.
Originally posted by wailers15:
give this kid time. he's got the tools no doubt about it. just needs some good coaching & work put in & I wouldn't be surprised if he blossoms into some good value.

He went through some s**t in college & endured & finished good at La Tech. LOL won me a whole bunch of money. We got other issues in front of him to be worrying about.

Agree! While it's always a bit of a risk to bring in a player who failed at one school and then had one very good year at another, who knows? I like the fact that his first few years of bombing in Florida didn't stop him from finally succeeding in Louisiana. Definately a good risk for a sixth round pick!
After Baalke Houdini'd the Denver pick from Elway used on Driskel, how funny will it be if he turns out better than Paxton Lynch.
[ Edited by walker807 on Jun 12, 2016 at 10:43 AM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by wailers15:

Agree! While it's always a bit of a risk to bring in a player who failed at one school and then had one very good year at another, who knows? I like the fact that his first few years of bombing in Florida didn't stop him from finally succeeding in Louisiana. Definately a good risk for a sixth round pick!

Good call - showed some grit under adversity.

A 6th would be a steal - evn if he were a quality 2nd stringer.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Nate Davis has the highest ever wonderlic score

I wonder what he lic'd doe
  • FaTaL
  • Veteran
Anybody who bombs this bad at florida is a huge gamble after being the number 1 qb coming out of high school, he was so bad he ran to la tech. Hopefully he doesnt play for a couple of years but his biggest problem is his lack of arm stength, even worse then tebow

niners have only carried two qbs on the roster the past 3-4 years, hopefully he can slip to the practice squad
Originally posted by FaTaL:
Anybody who bombs this bad at florida is a huge gamble after being the number 1 qb coming out of high school, he was so bad he ran to la tech. Hopefully he doesnt play for a couple of years but his biggest problem is his lack of arm stength, even worse then tebow

niners have only carried two qbs on the roster the past 3-4 years, hopefully he can slip to the practice squad

Haven't seen any draft profiles questioning his arm strength. Can you give me a link? I have seen criticism of accuracy down the field but not due to arm strength. Here are parts of two profiles:

Prototypical build and athleticism. Quick­-footed signal-caller with rapid setup in the pocket. Has active, bouncy feet while turning and scanning from target to target. Possesses arm strength and pace on his throws to challenge play­making cornerbacks in man and instinctive linebackers in zone. Can get ball out quickly with the flick off his wrist. Fundamentally sound with good footwork to balance himself before driving the ball with good weight transfer and hip rotation. Dangerous runner outside the pocket and can escape with suddenness. Good open-­field speed and ability to operate in zone-­read packages. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/jeff-driskel?id=2555262

"His confidence was shot at Florida," a scout told the Journal Sentinel's Bob McGinn. "It did take a toll on him. He's still developing, but there's a huge ceiling." Driskel performed well in Senior Bowl practices and in the all-star game, completing 8 of 12 passes for 108 yards with a touchdown. He attempted 92 deep passes, the third-most among draft-eligible quarterbacks last season, according to Pro Football Focus. He completed 31 of those throws for 1,017 yards and 13 touchdowns with four interceptions. Driskel was above average in Pro Football Focus' accuracy-under-pressure metric, completing 52.2 percent of his passes with no interceptions. Arm strength and release are strengths, according to NFL.com. Read more at: http://nesn.com/2016/04/2016-nfl-draft-profile-jeff-driskel-has-ideal-size-athleticism-at-qb/
Originally posted by frenchmov:
we would be lucky if he becomes a decent backup in the league

Pretty much my stance.

Hype train going early lol. Let gabbart have the reigns. if he excels, if not give driskle a shot next year. He needs to learn at least that long.
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
Hype train going early lol. Let gabbart have the reigns. if he excels, if not give driskle a shot next year. He needs to learn at least that long.

Or...another plan! Let the best man win.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by gold49er2183:

Or...another plan! Let the best man win.

That idea won't fly with the lovers and haters, lol. The idea that they may be wrong about a player doesn't wash.

Where have you seen he has poor arm strength? I've seen nothing but the opposite. His accuracy is the issue on deeper balls, not arm strength.

Also how well did any of the other UF qbs do after Driskel?? This QB class was poor top to bottom IMO. I actually like wentz the most of the bunch. I'll take Driskel in the 6th over hack in the 2nd, lynch in the 1st, or cook in the 4th by far. We clearly weren't looking for the QB of the future in this draft which is a good thing. If Driskel turns into a good backup score in my book...he's athletic enough to earn a role elsewhere as well.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jun 13, 2016 at 9:51 AM ]

LOL. So far from reality it's funny.
Share 49ersWebzone