LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 317 users in the forums

DeForest Buckner Traded to the Colts

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Not a pro bowl level player.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Seems like he is playing better. Lo. The niners are stuck with kinlaw and no cap space.

ExEcUtIvE oF ThUh yEEr......

Kinlaw has Defo ability and talent with a rookie contract. See what he is 3 years in and then tell me how Niners are "stuck with Kinlaw."
Interesting that Buck can't get a nod, but Frank Clark got one this year.
Thanks lynch you dumbf**k. Way to pay ford and richburg and armstead. And then get rid of this generational talent. https://sports.yahoo.com/darius-leonard-calls-deforest-buckner-144659613.html?soc_src=community&soc_trk=ma ] ]
[ Edited by JoseCortez on Dec 21, 2020 at 5:35 PM ]
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Armstead was a FA so you would've had to franchise him then negotiate a trade for a 2. Not quite an accurate comparison.

The Chiefs had put the franchise tag on Dee Ford prior to trading him to us for a 2nd. It's definitely possible, though point taken that it would have been trickier to pull off. And unclear of course if there would've been trade market interest for AA, though he was coming off a 10-sack season. Maybe it would've netted us a late 2nd/early 3rd instead, instead of the high 2nd we traded for Dee Ford.
Congrats to Defo being named to the All pro team
Originally posted by irishluder:

So happy for him. Well deserved
Originally posted by Patoranking:
Hindsight is 20/20... but you have to wonder if JL/KS regret not moving AA for a 2nd round pick instead. DeFo has been a career iron man and meaningfully better + more consistent than AA, plus team captain and you reward homegrown talent.

No guarantee you could have gotten a 2nd for AA at the time of course, and the comparison is *not* DeFo vs AA, or DeFo vs Kinlaw alone, but instead:

Option 1:
a) DeFo on guaranteed money
b) AA for 2nd round pick. Take a DT with that 2nd round pick, e.g. Justin Madubuike, Neville Gallimore, Raekwon Davis etc...
c) Move DeFo to AA's DE/DT spot and rotation. Yes DeFo has been a career 3T / 5T, but he's flashed from the edge before (see sack on Russell Wilson in Week 16/17) and is more athletic & agile than AA. Think about all the times you've seen QBs just skirt around AA, compared to the times DeFo has snatched Russell Wilson. I'm convinced DeFo would actually flourish in the role AA has played the last 2 years in Kocuerk's Wide 9
- downside would've been guaranteed money, which is anti-Paraag and a risk is DeFo gets injured or declines. Also DeFo was ~$4m annually more expensive, so you aren't able to use that toward another player

Option 2 (which is what happened:
a) AA on his deal
b) Kinlaw with 1st round pick from Colts
c) another player with the $4m you save
- downside is AA never really produced *until* 2019, which happened to be both when he was surrounded by a ton of talent AND a contract year. And AA has more of an injury history

It is what it is at this point, and I love Kinlaw and I hope him + AA ball out for years to come. Kinlaw is going to be a PROBLEM. But it's always healthy to go back and evaluate the process to reaching a decision... despite the cap savings, betting big on AA after just 1 good year, vs. DeFo's consistent production + availability for years, feels like the wrong process.

Slight correction on option 2. You don't get another player for 4 Mil. You get Kinlaw. His contract is roughly 4 mil a year
Originally posted by Alfienator:
Originally posted by irishluder:

So happy for him. Well deserved

Lynch paid ford, armstead, richburg, mckinnon, coleman, ward. I just can't forgive him for this.

And kwon too
[ Edited by JoseCortez on Jan 9, 2021 at 10:36 AM ]

Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Lynch paid ford, armstead, richburg, mckinnon, coleman, ward. I just can't forgive him for this.

And kwon too

There are more but thats a good start. Shanny is a much much better coach than Lynch is a GM.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Jan 9, 2021 at 11:30 AM ]

And kwon too

Agreed. And we don't have access to everything they do. They knew Fords injury history more in-depth than us. They have professionals watching tape on all these guys.

And they still paid all these guys. Instead of the most obvious cornerstone piece we had for years.

And kwon too

Yup. But don't tell NT this. They wouldn't understand that this was bad.

And kwon too

Coleman got paid? lol was a team friendly deal.
Originally posted by Patoranking:
Hindsight is 20/20... but you have to wonder if JL/KS regret not moving AA for a 2nd round pick instead. DeFo has been a career iron man and meaningfully better + more consistent than AA, plus team captain and you reward homegrown talent.

No guarantee you could have gotten a 2nd for AA at the time of course, and the comparison is *not* DeFo vs AA, or DeFo vs Kinlaw alone, but instead:

Option 1:
a) DeFo on guaranteed money
b) AA for 2nd round pick. Take a DT with that 2nd round pick, e.g. Justin Madubuike, Neville Gallimore, Raekwon Davis etc...
c) Move DeFo to AA's DE/DT spot and rotation. Yes DeFo has been a career 3T / 5T, but he's flashed from the edge before (see sack on Russell Wilson in Week 16/17) and is more athletic & agile than AA. Think about all the times you've seen QBs just skirt around AA, compared to the times DeFo has snatched Russell Wilson. I'm convinced DeFo would actually flourish in the role AA has played the last 2 years in Kocuerk's Wide 9
- downside would've been guaranteed money, which is anti-Paraag and a risk is DeFo gets injured or declines. Also DeFo was ~$4m annually more expensive, so you aren't able to use that toward another player

Option 2 (which is what happened:
a) AA on his deal
b) Kinlaw with 1st round pick from Colts
c) another player with the $4m you save
- downside is AA never really produced *until* 2019, which happened to be both when he was surrounded by a ton of talent AND a contract year. And AA has more of an injury history

It is what it is at this point, and I love Kinlaw and I hope him + AA ball out for years to come. Kinlaw is going to be a PROBLEM. But it's always healthy to go back and evaluate the process to reaching a decision... despite the cap savings, betting big on AA after just 1 good year, vs. DeFo's consistent production + availability for years, feels like the wrong process.

AA was a free agent. There's no guarantee someone would've done that. I think we did with Dee Ford, but again, no guarantee. With that said, I would have certainly tried.
Share 49ersWebzone