LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 219 users in the forums

What's with all the "Cut Ahmad Brooks" talk?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Seriously.

Ya, the guy had some run-in's last year but if we want to talk production this guy is about as consistent as it gets year in year out.

Consistent is the exact opposite of what he is. He can put up consistently mediocre numbers during the course of an entire season, but if you actually watch him play every week you'd realize he has a monster game 3-4 times a year and completely disappears for the other 12-13 games. There is absolutely no consistency with Ahmad Brooks.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Brooks is on the downside of his career. We can easily sign a replacement. He would just be taking up a roster spot this season and eating an enormous amount of cap space while not earning it. Go heavy on OLB in the draft and supplement with a FA pickup.

Sign who? Rely on a rookie?

Great plan.

You'd have a valid argument if you weren't severely overrating Brooks' ability. It's entirely feasible for a rookie to come in and be as mediocre as Brooks.
Is he cut yet? That would be a good start to FA
if Brooks could co-exist with the new talent we bring in at OLB, restructure his deal, and take a limited role, there is no doubt he could stick around , but we know he wants the lions share of snaps at OLB, and doesn't behave as a professional when asked to share snaps with another OLB ...so we might as well cut ties with him , and go with younger talent with high ceilings
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
if Brooks could co-exist with the new talent we bring in at OLB, restructure his deal, and take a limited role, there is no doubt he could stick around , but we know he wants the lions share of snaps at OLB, and doesn't behave as a professional when asked to share snaps with another OLB ...so we might as well cut ties with him , and go with younger talent with high ceilings

Well, we know why he threw a fit two years ago...b/c he was going to have to share snaps once Aldon rejoined the team AND it was going to have serious financial ramifications for him. Plus Aldon was just handed the job back while he had been a model player all off season and up to that point. I think, NOW, he's used to splitting snaps and is probably cool with it. We have been absolutely wrecked with injuries so if he was cool with restructuring and his new role, I'd be more than happy to have him back. Right now, we run a 6-man DL rotation and I'd be happy with a heavy rotation at the LB spots as well b/c of the pounding they take (especially at the SAM). Just restructure for 2-3 years, give him some upfront money and call it a day.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i am feeling the same as of late about brooks as i do about ck... he has over stayed his welcome
Is he cut yet
I like the guy as a player but I think it's time to cut ties, save money and get someone younger and better in here
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Should not cut him he's still a good player. Very underrated around here.
Originally posted by Empire49:
Seriously.

Ya, the guy had some run-in's last year but if we want to talk production this guy is about as consistent as it gets year in year out.

Consistent is the exact opposite of what he is. He can put up consistently mediocre numbers during the course of an entire season, but if you actually watch him play every week you'd realize he has a monster game 3-4 times a year and completely disappears for the other 12-13 games. There is absolutely no consistency with Ahmad Brooks.

Ya the last 2 years he hasn't been playing with that high motor. In the past, he might have not been a great pass rusher, but he showed up to stop the run every week.

Cut his ass nao!
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Cut his ass nao!

This. What the Hell are the 49ers waiting for?? The Guy is 32 and has lost speed and power and is Expensive and rather useless. Let the Youngens take his spot.
If the Niners draft Myles Garrett, they'll have 3 starting-caliber OLBs.

Would they finally do the right thing and move Brooks to ILB if they got Garret?
Originally posted by NinerSickness:

Would they finally do the right thing and move Brooks to ILB if they got Garret?

No way, cut him and put that money towards another pass rusher. Draft an ILB in the draft, we should be able to get a good one that slides on top of the third. That is one thing that's nice. Get such good positioning on guys that slide.
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Originally posted by NinerSickness:

No way, cut him and put that money towards another pass rusher. Draft an ILB in the draft, we should be able to get a good one that slides on top of the third. That is one thing that's nice. Get such good positioning on guys that slide.

What if they don't do that? What if they draft Garrett instead of an ILB? What do they do with Brooks, then?
Share 49ersWebzone