There are 189 users in the forums

Calvin Johnson retires

Shop 49ers game tickets
Good for him
everyone was so fixated on Fitz not getting a SB ring, no one thought of calvin johnson. Poor guy wasted his career on the lions. He should of asked to be cut and join the patriots or panthers next year to get that ring. He still could be a valuable part to a SB contender
Just 9 season played. Same with lynch if he retires as reported. Only 8 for Willis. 2007 draft class has some top tier talent retiring early. I don't have any of the 3 of them as hall of famers. All 3 great players but didn't hang around long enough. Lynch with the best chance cus of the ring.
At least the big surprise offseason retirement isn't a Niner.
And not one guy from the 49ers' 2015 draft has retired. This is a great start to the offseason.
Another testament to Jerry's longevity.
Originally posted by crabman82:
Just 9 season played. Same with lynch if he retires as reported. Only 8 for Willis. 2007 draft class has some top tier talent retiring early. I don't have any of the 3 of them as hall of famers. All 3 great players but didn't hang around long enough. Lynch with the best chance cus of the ring.

you crazy as hell,ALL HOFers book it.
Originally posted by jrouter4949:

No but the HOF is a joke these days so who knows
Originally posted by jrg:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by TheHYDE49er:
30 years old. sucks.

one of the best, if not the best WR of the modern era.

6'5, 230lbs. Ran a 4.3. Amazing hands and athleticism, and a great teammate.

What is your definition of the "modern era"? I dont know what that is but in no way does he compare to Jerry Rice thats for sure.

Rice through 9 seasons:

708 receptions
11,776 yards
118 touchdowns

Rice also had Montana and Young throwing him the ball, with Walsh as his coach... lets not act like that didnt factor in his success
Calvin was one of the greatest to ever do it, sad to see him go so young. This is becoming much more common now, as we just saw with Willis as well. Once the greats arent the best anymore they cany handle it. Rather hang it up early than be avg, and put your brain and body through further beating.
Originally posted by teylo31:
Originally posted by jrouter4949:

No but the HOF is a joke these days so who knows

Are u kidding me?? they are EASILY HOFers.. cmon now

Good luck to him. Sucks for the NFL and fans, but this will become more common. We'll see plenty more quality football players retire by the age 30 rather than take more physical punishment and destroy their bodies. Guys are more aware of the consequences, they've seen the horror stories. Not worth it if you've made your money and had a good career. Walk away healthy.
Damn. It's sucks to see him go. One of my all time favorites. The guy didn't run his mouth or talk just went out and played
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Good luck to him. Sucks for the NFL and fans, but this will become more common. We'll see plenty more quality football players retire by the age 30 rather than take more physical punishment and destroy their bodies. Guys are more aware of the consequences, they've seen the horror stories. Not worth it if you've made your money and had a good career. Walk away healthy.

How did Jerry Rice play 21 NFL seasons?

It's going to take an extremely rare, gifted individual to beat his records.
[ Edited by Pick4Six on Jan 31, 2016 at 5:43 PM ]
Originally posted by 4everFaithful:
Originally posted by jrg:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by TheHYDE49er:
30 years old. sucks.

one of the best, if not the best WR of the modern era.

6'5, 230lbs. Ran a 4.3. Amazing hands and athleticism, and a great teammate.

What is your definition of the "modern era"? I dont know what that is but in no way does he compare to Jerry Rice thats for sure.

Rice through 9 seasons:

708 receptions
11,776 yards
118 touchdowns

Rice also had Montana and Young throwing him the ball, with Walsh as his coach... lets not act like that didnt factor in his success

Yup. Calvin was a freak of nature, who knows how much better his numbers would've been if QBs like Harrington, Kitna, and Shaun Hill weren't throwing him the ball. Calvin had the TO body, with the running / jumping ability of Moss.
Originally posted by Pick4Six:
Originally posted by SofaKing:

How did Jerry Rice play 21 NFL seasons?

It's going to take an extremely rare, gifted individual to beat his records.

Those records will likely never be broken, Rice was the product of a combination of tremendous talent, work ethic, and team. He was surrounded by greatness. Similar to MJ and Kobe, they were great, but they also had Phil Jackson. Greatness + Greatness = GOAT
Share 49ersWebzone