LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 169 users in the forums

OL Trenton Brown, Future Hall Of Fame Right Tackle

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by MK_Ultra:
Patriots notebook: Trent Brown, Marcus Cannon shut down Chargers pass rush
https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/01/13/patriots-notebook-trent-brown-marcus-cannon-shut-down-chargers-pass-rush/

Should have kept Trent Brown and signed him to a relatively cheap contract (could have bought low at that time). Then moved Trent or McG to RG. Then he could replace Staley in 1-2 years or trade him for more than they got.

BRADY STANDING TALL
Tom Brady would be hard-pressed to remember a touchdown pass where he was allowed to be as cool, calm and collected as he was during his second-quarter touchdown throw to Phillip Dorsett. Allowed to stand tall throughout the first 30 minutes, Marcus Cannon and Trent Brown held up their ends of the bargain in pass protection, showing heavy hands against the lighter duo of Melvin Ingram and Joey Bosa. Through three quarters of play, Cannon had a clean sheet, meaning no hurries, hits or sacks. Brown had only one pressure allowed. It was a dominant day for the two behemoths on the edges for the Patriots
https://sports.yahoo.com/phil-perrys-takeaways-patriots-41-211016039.html
Originally posted by BlackGoat49:
Glad trent brown is still ballin in the playoffs. Should've never been let go cuz of scheme. But hey lets keep ward and arstead and draft thomas sign malcom smith...

It wasn't just the scheme though, every lineman (well every player) was told to come back in shape after the off season, Trent showed up around 40lbs overweight. Is that someone you want to pay 7-10 mil a year to?

He is playing well and it isn't that surprising (how many have their best season in a contract year) we'll see how he holds up the next few and I wish him all the best, but completely agree with the move that was made.
[ Edited by 49erBigMac on Jan 14, 2019 at 5:05 AM ]
Is dante scarnechia still involved with pats? One of the best in the business. Once again it comes down to coaching.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
It wasn't just the scheme though, every lineman (well every player) was told to come back in shape after the off season, Trent showed up around 40lbs overweight. Is that someone you want to pay 7-10 mil a year to?

He is playing well and it isn't that surprising (how many have their best season in a contract year) we'll see how he holds up the next few and I wish him all the best, but completely agree with the move that was made.

I can see him getting a Cordy Glenn type contract in FA (5 yrs $60 million) no way are we or NE paying him that. I was pissed after first (drafting MM) but totally understood the move after the traded Brown.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
One is going to the AFC Championship game the other hasn't got it going for whatever reason going into year 3. I'm talking about the teams.

Good thing Trent Brown went to the Patriots, Lord knows that Belichick and Brady would never win a thing without him.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
One is going to the AFC Championship game the other hasn't got it going for whatever reason going into year 3. I'm talking about the teams.

Good thing Trent Brown went to the Patriots, Lord knows that Belichick and Brady would never win a thing without him.

• evil
  • Veteran
Glad trent brown is still ballin in the playoffs. Should've never been let go cuz of scheme. But hey lets keep ward and arstead and draft thomas sign malcom smith...

If a player does not fit your scheme then you can either move on from the player or change your scheme. You don't fit a square peg into a round hole. And you do not change a successful scheme for one OT, let alone a lazy and unmotivated OT.

The run game became plug and play by gaining an OT who does fit the scheme, we saw 4th and 5th string RB's having good success. And an effective run game leads to a more effective PA pass game, and the PA pass game is a huge staple in Kyle's offense and his usage of 21 personnel.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by Costanza:
Shanahan must have really disliked him personally because the dude can play...and you don't usually trade young & talented left tackles.

He never played left tackle for us.

He played a couple games there actually.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

He was coming off labrum surgery people. Once he had full range he was back down to 360 a month before the season started.
Originally posted by NCommand:

And wasn't anything special if I remember correctly. IMO he burned bridges with the team when he got hurt and basically sidelined himself for the rest of the yr (when the team thought he could play) and then showed up to camp like 40lbs over weight. Too bad talent is there and I wish him well someone will give him a ton of cash.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jan 14, 2019 at 6:49 AM ]

Brown was mauling guys yesterday

He is gonna get paid
Originally posted by NYniner85:

And wasn't anything special if I remember correctly. IMO he burned bridges with the team when he got hurt and basically sidelined himself for the rest of the yr (when the team thought he could play) and then showed up to camp like 40lbs over weight. Too bad talent is there and I wish him well someone will give him a ton of cash.

I think he's bitter because, like you said, our dumbass MD's wanted him to play through a labrum tear (one he did in Chicago and tore more). He opted for surgery right after that game. It was a wise career move. Once he could resume normal activities he was down to 360 a month before the season started and he's had no weight issues since (obviously).

This was a money-move too IMHO.

It'll only turn out to be a massive win for them if they can resign him. Otherwise, it's just a one year rental and we win that trade even if we only got Tarvarius Moore in that deal.
Philosophically, this is a passing league. Pass protection is far more important to today's game. Zone stretch runs are nice for helping set up play action but the threat of that run is what holds the LB more than having to be wildly successful at it.

And how much did swapping out Brown for MM really help? We were still second worst in QB hits with 124, ran very well and are still picking #2 overall.

Meanwhile, the playoff teams all protected their QB's and were top 10 there and have destroyed the best defenses because of stellar PP.

QB Hits:
NO: 51
CHI: 63
NE: 64
BAL: 67
IND: 72
LAR: 74
LAC: 87
SEA, WAS: 90
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 14, 2019 at 7:16 AM ]
I think he's bitter because, like you said, our dumbass MD's wanted him to play through a labrum tear (one he did in Chicago and tore more). He opted for surgery right after that game. It was a wise career move. Once he could resume normal activities he was down to 360 a month before the season started and he's had no weight issues since (obviously).

This was a money-move too IMHO.

It'll only turn out to be a massive win for them if they can resign him. Otherwise, it's just a one year rental and we win that trade even if we only got Tarvarius Moore in that deal.

360 is about 40 pounds too heavy for this offense. McGlinchey at the same height is 310.

Brown played at 360 in 2017 and the run game to the right side was non-existent. He needs to be in a scheme which allows him to block in a phone booth sized area so the Patriots were a great fit for him and he for them.
Hyde, Brown, McDonald. All decent players who didn't fit the system. Best of luck to them but that happens. No reason to be upset that we're not forcing squares into round holes. Shanny got a 6 year deal to put together his team not try to make something out of Baalke's.

Breida/ McKinnon, McGlinchey, Kittle. Looks like he's done a great job replacing those guys too.
Share 49ersWebzone