LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 215 users in the forums

Jacksonville Jaguar Arik Armstead-DT Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
The 49ers are a team that has grown to love redrafting positions year after year. That didn't change with Baalke being shown the door.

The top of the draft board was all redraft positions (DE, S, CB).
Prediction: this guy not on the roster week one.
lol you guys act like our team is loaded with talent and we can get rid of whomever just because we drafted someone who by the way has never played a down in the NFL.

My prediction: Armstead, Buckner, and Thomas are all on the field at the same time week 1.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
fact of the matter is, if AA was worth a s**t, Thomas wouldn't have even been an option.
AA will be the LEO and Solomon will be our Michael Bennett at LDE
Originally posted by mayo49:
I still have hope for AA - his shoulder injury really affected his play. Hopefully, he's healed up now and can play like we all know he can.

That's what I think too, Mayo, and I bet this was a nagging thing he could get by with, right up until the point where it tore worse, and THAT was the time it should have been fixed. I think he just kept playing thru pain, taking one for the team, but ultimately had to have it fixed when the arm became damn near useless. At that point he should have had it fixed two months earlier. Just set his rehab back two months, but it looks like he is on course to be ready for season. Just hope he is careful and doesn't overdo too quick.

This is where I hope the medical staff is on the ball, and doesn't let him get ahead of his shoulder. There is a decent chance he comes out of this way better than he was...by his hx, it sounds like it could have limited him from his first day on the team. Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants sweet?
I don't know why people are struggling with this. Thomas is not taking AA or Buckners job. AA will be seeing lots of time at LEO
Originally posted by miked1978:
lol you guys act like our team is loaded with talent and we can get rid of whomever just because we drafted someone who by the way has never played a down in the NFL.

My prediction: Armstead, Buckner, and Thomas are all on the field at the same time week 1.

Agreed. Saleh is the guy who has to figure out who goes where and when. Lynch brings home the bacon, Saleh has to figure out how to cook it. I said early and often, Saleh has the toughest job on the team...figuring out how to use all his best pieces at once.

With Solomon, consensus 2nd best player in the draft, and now, "Froster", Lynch has just made Saleh's job 29% easier in the front 7. Nobody saw this coming. Thank God for that little medical assistant, who got Foster ticked off.

Kudos to Kyle, too, who kept tabs on Foster every pick, and finally when NO was about to take him Shanlyn pulled the trigger. Sounds like it was a lot closer than we all had thot.
Originally posted by Niners418:
I don't know why people are struggling with this. Thomas is not taking AA or Buckners job. AA will be seeing lots of time at LEO

You guys do know what a Leo is right? AA at Leo is about as appealing as Joe Staley at qb. Qb's will tremble with fear as we send 3 guys who run 5.0+ forty times at them as well as a 4th dt. No way a rb hits the edge with AA in space guarding against it. Guys who Saleh listed as good Leo's Khali Mack, Von Miller, Vic Beasley, Dontae Fowler, Cliff Avril. The big Leo stuff is a sub package you want to do a couple plays a game.
always so much negativity and no loyalty with our players. As soon as something new comes into view.

Armstead played injured last year no?

I like what I've seen from him, getting inside pressure.

It was one of the reasons I was excited about the Thomas pick. I want to see Armstead, Buckner, and Thomas rush the passer. And post pregnancy Aaron Lynch.

If they looking to replace Armstead he would've traded in the 1st round last night...or will be later tonight.

nope, they have a plan for all these players.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Apr 28, 2017 at 9:48 AM ]

Originally posted by tjd808185:
You guys do know what a Leo is right? AA at Leo is about as appealing as Joe Staley at qb. Qb's will tremble with fear as we send 3 guys who run 5.0 forty times at them as well as a 4th dt. No way a rb hits the edge with AA in space guarding against it. Guys who Saleh listed as good Leo's Khali Mack, Von Miller, Vic Beasley, Dontae Fowler, Cliff Avril. The big Leo stuff is a sub package you want to do a couple plays a game.

tjd is right. AA at leo is laughable.
[ Edited by Heroism on Apr 28, 2017 at 9:49 AM ]
Originally posted by Afrikan:
always so much negativity and no loyalty with our players. As soon as something new comes into view.

Armstead played injured last year no?

I like what I've seen from him, getting inside pressure.

It was one of the reasons I was excited about the Thomas pick. I want to see Armstead, Buckner, and Thomas rush the passer. And post pregnancy Aaron Lynch.

If they looking to replace Armstead he would've traded in the 1st round last night...or will be later tonight.

nope, they have a plan for all these players.

I was expecting that too. Didnt happen. Well see how it goes today.
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
You guys do know what a Leo is right? AA at Leo is about as appealing as Joe Staley at qb. Qb's will tremble with fear as we send 3 guys who run 5.0 forty times at them as well as a 4th dt. No way a rb hits the edge with AA in space guarding against it. Guys who Saleh listed as good Leo's Khali Mack, Von Miller, Vic Beasley, Dontae Fowler, Cliff Avril. The big Leo stuff is a sub package you want to do a couple plays a game.

tjd is right. AA at leo is laughable.

I thought that same thing when I read that, lol

AA will be in rotation until his contract expires
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

You can laugh but guess where he has been getting his reps...

https://www.google.com/amp/ninerswire.usatoday.com/2017/04/26/how-49ers-new-defense-is-shaping-up-during-voluntary-minicamp/amp/
Originally posted by CtNiner:
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:

You can laugh but guess where he has been getting his reps...

https://www.google.com/amp/ninerswire.usatoday.com/2017/04/26/how-49ers-new-defense-is-shaping-up-during-voluntary-minicamp/amp/

That's minicamp snaps while his shoulder is recovering. I posted in the Soloman Thomas thread, but expect in year 1 for there to be a ton of shifting personnel.

If you read the whole article it brings up AA is difficult to see as a LEO as he projects better inside, and that the early favorite for LEO is Lynch. Which I agree with.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Apr 28, 2017 at 10:47 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone