LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 139 users in the forums

2014 Rookie Wide Receivers

Shop 49ers game tickets
I can't help but to think of this topic when I see the success all of these rookie Wide Receivers are having. Why is it that every year we seem to pass on numerous receivers that can help our squad but we end up with the worst rookie WR?

Bruce Ellington?
Kelvin Benjamin
Martavis Bryant
Sammy Watkins
Brandin Cooks
Mike Evans
Jordan Matthews
Davante Adams
John Brown
Donte Moncrief
Odell Beckham
Allen Robinson
[ Edited by PrimeTime on Oct 27, 2014 at 3:11 PM ]
I'd kill for Cooks right about now.

Moncrief had a great game; 7 catches for like 113 yards or something & a TD against the Steelers. I was one of the biggest Moncrief fans on planet earth before the draft. :(
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Such a strong class of WRs and all baalke got was Ellington.
We could have had Cooks.....

Cooks, SJ, Q, VD Crabs and Lloyd would be sick.....
You're an idiot OP...

Comparing a 4th rounder to guys who went in the first few rounds. Ellington will be just fine if they actually throw him the ball. Notice how when they actually used him in the passing game vs Denver he did well?

Crazy idea...throw a kid the ball and see if he then contributes huh?
  • Antix
  • Veteran
Yeah...well you have to actually throw to your receivers for them to be good. How many targets does Ellington have. Also, our WR coaches are prob some of the worst in the biz. I don't think we know how to develop receivers.
Originally posted by genus49:
You're an idiot OP...

Comparing a 4th rounder to guys who went in the first few rounds. Ellington will be just fine if they actually throw him the ball. Notice how when they actually used him in the passing game vs Denver he did well?

Crazy idea...throw a kid the ball and see if he then contributes huh?

Bryant, Allen Robinson, Jordan Matthews, moncrief and brown were all picked in the mid rounds and had the same grade as Ellington in the draft. Also why would ellington scoring on the last play of the game against Broncos 3rd string team impress you?
Benjamin is a stud, however, in our offense a rookie wideout would see very few touches.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PrimeTime:
Bryant, Allen Robinson, Jordan Matthews, moncrief and brown were all picked in the mid rounds and had the same grade as Ellington in the draft. Also why would ellington scoring on the last play of the game against Broncos 3rd string team impress you?

We are halfway through the season and you have already concluded we got the worst rookie receiver ? You also failed to remember that we traded for Stevie J on day 2 eliminating the need to target receivers in the 2nd round or 3rd rounds. Regardless of how Jimmie Ward develops, the team took someone who they considered a value in the first and addressed a pressing need and then swung what so far looks like a pretty good deal for a veteran who had put up 1000 yards 3 times in 6 years.

Let's not freak out over some draft crushes having some mild to moderate success halfway through their rookie year.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
This Wr class was loaded.

The only guys who actually had a similar grade to Ellington were Bryant and maybe Brown and let's be honest about Brown nobody expected him to go that high. His thing was speed and speed only.

Also what do draft grades have to do with anything? The players were drafted where they were drafted and Ellington went in the 4th round.

So how about you answer the following..

Which player would you remove from our draft before we took Ellington?

Jimmie Ward - our nickel corner now and future starting safety
Carlos Hyde - backup to Gore and future starter
Marcus Martin - about to be our starting and future Center
Chris Borland - depth at ILB we needed with Bowman being out
Brandon Thomas - IR pick who will replace Iupati next season

So who do you remove and who do you add?

There's also this little fact that we have 7 receivers on our roster right now. 4 guys have been the primary receiver at one point or another during this season. Which rookie WR is a MUST have?

Also what's the point of listing guys like Watkins, Evans, Beckham, Cooks or Benjamin who were all gone before our first round pick?

As for what's impressed me about Ellington? Has nothing to do with the garbage time TD. The guy is a perfect slot receiver. He's physical, has great hands and isn't afraid of anything. He has caught everything thrown to him...which hasn't been much.

Sorry for the personal insult but yes it is idiotic to think that we have the worst receiver in the draft when we have barely used the kid as a receiver!!!

Threads like this and "logic" like this give 49er fans a bad rep. It's embarrassing. How about letting the guy actually play a couple of seasons where he has time to show what he's capable off before making this thread?

What really takes the cake here is we've had no problems with our receivers. I could understand if this was last year where the only guy worth anything was Anquan Boldin but we've got a healthy Patton inactive every game because we finally have guys who can contribute at a high level.
its not that we get the worse, its that we rarely have a rookie, let alone a receiver, dominate our offense. thats how roman rolls. he has the talent but not the touches to prove it.
Originally posted by genus49:

The only guys who actually had a similar grade to Ellington were Bryant and maybe Brown and let's be honest about Brown nobody expected him to go that high. His thing was speed and speed only.

Also what do draft grades have to do with anything? The players were drafted where they were drafted and Ellington went in the 4th round.

So how about you answer the following..

Which player would you remove from our draft before we took Ellington?

Jimmie Ward - our nickel corner now and future starting safety
Carlos Hyde - backup to Gore and future starter
Marcus Martin - about to be our starting and future Center
Chris Borland - depth at ILB we needed with Bowman being out
Brandon Thomas - IR pick who will replace Iupati next season

So who do you remove and who do you add?

There's also this little fact that we have 7 receivers on our roster right now. 4 guys have been the primary receiver at one point or another during this season. Which rookie WR is a MUST have?

Also what's the point of listing guys like Watkins, Evans, Beckham, Cooks or Benjamin who were all gone before our first round pick?

As for what's impressed me about Ellington? Has nothing to do with the garbage time TD. The guy is a perfect slot receiver. He's physical, has great hands and isn't afraid of anything. He has caught everything thrown to him...which hasn't been much.

Sorry for the personal insult but yes it is idiotic to think that we have the worst receiver in the draft when we have barely used the kid as a receiver!!!

Threads like this and "logic" like this give 49er fans a bad rep. It's embarrassing. How about letting the guy actually play a couple of seasons where he has time to show what he's capable off before making this thread?

What really takes the cake here is we've had no problems with our receivers. I could understand if this was last year where the only guy worth anything was Anquan Boldin but we've got a healthy Patton inactive every game because we finally have guys who can contribute at a high level.

I think Borland was a waste. He strictly backup material who struggles at getting to the RB quickly.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Joecool:
I think Borland was a waste. He strictly backup material who struggles at getting to the RB quickly.

AJ
LMJ
Vance
Tank

Early round flops.
our rookie stud WR would be fourth on the totem poll behidn davis, crabs, and boldin. I'm more concerned about our pass rush and DL.
Share 49ersWebzone