There are 235 users in the forums

Only a FS Jimmie Ward-Houston Texans

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by NinerGod:
I really hope this guy plays like a first rounder this year. They said the starting nickle formation had D.Johnson in the slot. I'm not sure if thats because Ward is out or they are slowly working him back in.

I like the fact he has a year under his belt. cant wait to see how hes developing.

My confidence in Ward comes from Baalke's ability to pick DBs. Plus, he did flash some playmaking ability. However, because of his size, I dont think he'll be a guy you can just plug and play. I just wouldn't put him on bigger recievers (aka..Brandon Marshall.... )

Agreed. I love that we can move Johnson (size) inside or use speed (Reaser and Ward) or experience (Brock and Wright) to the slot. Yeah...thl's work on him helped a lot for me. Solid year and about what you'd expect with a position change. I'm actually really curious to see how Mangini uses him...up at the LOS in trail mode or back off the LOS to keep everything in front of him? The latter is when he is a playmaker.

mangini's schemes are know to be complicated. do you think with it being new to ward coming off of fangio's d, ward will catch on or will it be a set back?
Is thl's work in this thread?

It's a couple detailed pages plus analysis in his All22 thread. Great breskdown.
mangini's schemes are know to be complicated. do you think with it being new to ward coming off of fangio's d, ward will catch on or will it be a set back?

I'm not sure if I would use the term 'complicated.' We ran a very sophisticated pattern match+ scheme under Fangio but he did play his front 7 straight up and more vanilla. This is where Mangini seems to differ. He likes to create pre and post snap confusion and blitzes with his front 7. As to Ward, if he can grasp Fangio's coverage schemes, he'll certainly have no issues with Mangini's.
I really hope this guy plays like a first rounder this year. They said the starting nickle formation had D.Johnson in the slot. I'm not sure if thats because Ward is out or they are slowly working him back in.

I like the fact he has a year under his belt. cant wait to see how hes developing.

Ward has playmaking ability but doesn't have an NFL body. He's Kevin Hart tall and Chris Rock strong.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Ward has playmaking ability but doesn't have an NFL body. He's Kevin Hart tall and Chris Rock strong.

I think his "short comings" were exacerbated by the last coaching staff. They should of NEVER allowed him to cover Brandon Marshall in that game.
[ Edited by sactomkiii on Aug 3, 2015 at 10:08 PM ]
Move him to FS. That was his original position where he shined. You know either Reid or Bethea are going to get hurt.
FS? Where he will be expected to be more physical than slot corner?

Same height as Bethea, 5'11"

Fail

It's a couple detailed pages plus analysis in his All22 thread. Great breskdown.

Before I post my lemon gif, which all22 thread? Do you have the post numbers? thank you.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
i think we can pretty much just forget this dude even exists.

Originally posted by ChazBoner:

Yeah let's cut him. Nobody has ever been injured before in the NFL.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

Before I post my lemon gif, which all22 thread? Do you have the post numbers? thank you.

It starts here...just skim through it and then thl provides a nice final analysis when complete: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/181749-offseason-all22-film-study/page13/

Glad to see you reviewing...thl did a terrific job as always, being very objective and letting the film review tell the story.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

Yeah let's cut him. Nobody has ever been injured before in the NFL.

The armchair GM's in this board. They'll still be citing the 2012 draft in 2020 to back up their "expert" opinions.
Originally posted by sactomkiii:

I think his "short comings" were exacerbated by the last coaching staff. They should of NEVER allowed him to cover Brandon Marshall in that game.

Good call!

That was a disaster waiting to happen.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by sactomkiii:

Good call!

That was a disaster waiting to happen.

Another thing I don't like is that Ward was asked to come up in press up at the LOS, turn and run with the WR in trail-mode until he passed that WR off to the S. That's a common responsibility of the slot CB but the issue is, that doesn't play to his strengths.

When your back is to the QB, you are at a disadvantage (always). Where Ward excelled was in read-react. He was an excellent playmaker when he was playing FS and could keep everything in front of him and break on balls, ball hawk, INT, tackle, PD's, etc.

This is why I said, I'm curious to see how Mangini uses him. When the entire coaching staff assessed the strengths and weaknesses of each player, Ward probably stood out as a player who could continue to grow in the slot but who could be tweaked a bit to play more to his advantages (i.e. play off the LOS a bit more and allow the action to take place in front of him with an eye on the QB).

Just a thought...

PS: As to personnel matchups, that's Mangini's M.O. He'd probably just slide Johnson or Tartt inside to cover the big boys now. Fangio? No chance at that...
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 4, 2015 at 7:38 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone