There are 184 users in the forums

Only a FS Jimmie Ward-Houston Texans

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Originally posted by bigwads:
Ward was a horrible pick back when it was made. That he was injured during the combine and entire pre draft only makes it worse.

I Agree 100%. The pick made ZERO sense. Ward is toooo much of a tweener. Not quick enough for CB and not big enough for safety. I hope Ward works out for the 49ers because the 2012 2013 and now Ward 2014 49er 1st rounders have not been difference makers.

So getting to the Pro Bowl in your rookie year is not being a difference maker? What did you want him to do? Cure cancer, walk on water and invent warp drive?

He got beat a lot. It's pretty easy to understand what they're saying.
Originally posted by NinerGod:
Ward was a horrible pick back when it was made. That he was injured during the combine and entire pre draft only makes it worse.

I Agree 100%. The pick made ZERO sense. Ward is toooo much of a tweener. Not quick enough for CB and not big enough for safety. I hope Ward works out for the 49ers because the 2012 2013 and now Ward 2014 49er 1st rounders have not been difference makers.

So getting to the Pro Bowl in your rookie year is not being a difference maker? What did you want him to do? Cure cancer, walk on water and invent warp drive?

All DBs get beat a lot.

"Difference Maker" is such a bogus term. If a safety does everything right then a good QB isn't going to throw the ball his way so he's not going to make a splash play. He simply covered his player so the QB went the other way.

THAT is why the pass defense was so good last year...two safeties playing very well in coverage.

Did they get beat sometimes? Sure. Even Deion got beat. Ronnie too. Highlighting the times he was beat to me is disingenuous.

Regarding Reid, I don't agree. He had a great season and was deservedly voted to the Pro Bowl. As a Freaking Rookie! But the trouble is, to accept that those who want to talk Baalke down lose the main thrust of their argument.

2013? jeeezuz! Reid has been rock solid.
Originally posted by JustinNiner:

2013? jeeezuz! Reid has been rock solid.

nope, he got a couple concussions. Even though he never had concussion issues in college, baalke should have known that he would have multiple concussions in the NFL. Man, Baalke sucks.
I didn't like the pic and still don't. Hope he proves me wrong.
Originally posted by Dajanksta:
I didn't like the pic and still don't. Hope he proves me wrong.

Which pic you talking about? They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder so I doubt it would look better to you later on.

Regarding Reid, I don't agree. He had a great season and was deservedly voted to the Pro Bowl. As a Freaking Rookie! But the trouble is, to accept that those who want to talk Baalke down lose the main thrust of their argument.

Well put!
I really hope this guy plays like a first rounder this year. They said the starting nickle formation had D.Johnson in the slot. I'm not sure if thats because Ward is out or they are slowly working him back in.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I really hope this guy plays like a first rounder this year. They said the starting nickle formation had D.Johnson in the slot. I'm not sure if thats because Ward is out or they are slowly working him back in.

I like the fact he has a year under his belt. cant wait to see how hes developing.

I like the fact he has a year under his belt. cant wait to see how hes developing.
in the all 22 thread, he played well..better then what people assumed after that first game

My confidence in Ward comes from Baalke's ability to pick DBs. Plus, he did flash some playmaking ability. However, because of his size, I dont think he'll be a guy you can just plug and play. I just wouldn't put him on bigger recievers (aka..Brandon Marshall.... )

My confidence in Ward comes from Baalke's ability to pick DBs. Plus, he did flash some playmaking ability. However, because of his size, I dont think he'll be a guy you can just plug and play. I just wouldn't put him on bigger recievers (aka..Brandon Marshall.... )

which is why he's best suited in the slot or nickel packages. hope he has tightened up his coverage skills. hated seeing him getting beat on crossing patterns and over head lobs last year.

Agreed. I love that we can move Johnson (size) inside or use speed (Reaser and Ward) or experience (Brock and Wright) to the slot. Yeah...thl's work on him helped a lot for me. Solid year and about what you'd expect with a position change. I'm actually really curious to see how Mangini uses him...up at the LOS in trail mode or back off the LOS to keep everything in front of him? The latter is when he is a playmaker.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Agreed. I love that we can move Johnson (size) inside or use speed (Reaser and Ward) or experience (Brock and Wright) to the slot. Yeah...thl's work on him helped a lot for me. Solid year and about what you'd expect with a position change. I'm actually really curious to see how Mangini uses him...up at the LOS in trail mode or back off the LOS to keep everything in front of him? The latter is when he is a playmaker.
Is thl's work in this thread?
Share 49ersWebzone