LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 145 users in the forums

Only a FS Jimmie Ward-Houston Texans

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by danimal:
congratulations you win.

Because you are man enough to take the absolute position on something that can no longer ever be proven...whereas all I am stating is it is not laughable.

Never mind that I have been watching the NFL for many moons now and I have seen hundreds of Jimmie Wards go in the 3rd round....but let me guess,,,he is different right.

oh and by the way, I have seen thousands of mocks over the years where the average pick for a guy could be off by YES A COUPLE OF ROUNDS,

but again, I defer

The reality is that with a run on safeties, Ward was the top safety on the board with a whole host of teams needing safeties. The only thing that prevented him from going higher were questions about his level of competition and size. On virtually every board I saw he was ranked as the 3rd or 4th safety. If the 49ers hadn't taken him, someone else would have done so very shortly in the 2nd round. He fulfills a need for a safety who can excel in coverage and has tremendous deep range, with teams looking at the success Seattle had with Thomas, with Pryor, Clinton-Dix and Bucannon off the board already, Ward wasn't going to last very long, you don't need to be a psychic or soothsayer to see that.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 8, 2014 at 11:06 PM ]
Originally posted by kazak13:
we just drafted a backup to a position that we are very solid... how bout a WR? or DT? or DE? id like to think they know what they are doing but i am still pissed that we didn't trade.. we don't need 11 new players.. we need 4 that can come in and make an impact!

We are not solid at safety. Who are the backups? Either way he can play the nickel too which in our system plays 60% of the plays.
Trading isn't as easy as it seems. I'm sure they tried, but I bet the price was too high. No way we were moving up to 10-15.
Ward can make an impact. Is an upgrade over Rogers. Plenty of Wr's let out there. Benji's, Lee would've been bad picks.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
congratulations you win.

Because you are man enough to take the absolute position on something that can no longer ever be proven...whereas all I am stating is it is not laughable.

Never mind that I have been watching the NFL for many moons now and I have seen hundreds of Jimmie Wards go in the 3rd round....but let me guess,,,he is different right.

oh and by the way, I have seen thousands of mocks over the years where the average pick for a guy could be off by YES A COUPLE OF ROUNDS,

but again, I defer

The reality is that with a run on safeties, Ward was the top safety on the board with a whole host of teams needing safeties. The only thing that prevented him from going higher were questions about his level of competition and size. On virtually every board I saw he was ranked as the 3rd or 4th safety. If the 49ers hadn't taken him, someone else would have done so very shortly in the 2nd round.

again, I simply can't argue with that. But I can say, out of those many moons I mentioned watching NFL drafts, this wasn't the first run on DBs I have ever seen either. The Jimmie Wards of the NCAA go in the 3rd round ALL THE TIME

I do look forward to reviewing some of those wizard CBS mocks though next week, and see if I can't find anyone who "would have been taken" but for some reason simply was not.

Interesting also how those mocks contain a lot of variance, you know 200 different names who "will get drafted in the top 150". Not sure how that works mathematically....
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
you have to operate your draft differently depending on what stage your franchise is in. When you are a cellar team and you need high value, then yes I think Ward could have fell to the 3rd round. As your franchise becomes more complete it becomes more imperative that you get your guy as opposed to gambling on value.

The Niners no longer need to get really high value. I mean really how many guys in this draft will we end up actually keeping around on the final roster? 2...3..?

So because of the state of the team right now, it was fine for the Niners to reach, Ward in the 3rd is not laughable, but that would have been a long shot. They will pay more for not gambling, but they also get that 5th year option.

Because we are coming off of 3 straight championship caliber seasons this pick is ok, but for the record.....when teams become too reliant on this strategy that is the surest way to find yourself in the cellar again.

Sooner or later Baalke will have to concern himself with high value again. Apparently that time is just not now

No, 3rd round is entirely laughable. He would have never made it there. People need to stop letting their own biases get in the way.

Small school guy=He must be crap. in 3 of 4 CBS Mock draft's he was a 1st round pick............so tell me how he falls to the 3rd round?

congratulations you win.

but again, I defer

The fact that you said "many moons" lets me know you're talking generally and therefore should probably be ignored.
LOL. Acting like the draft is over
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:

It it, we also let all of our star players walk, lost the playoffs again, and traded coach harbaugh to the browns and resigned dingleberry as head coach.
Originally posted by ChipDouglas510:

the fun part hasn't even started!
I defer to the draft guys for things like this. Never heard of em or seen enough to make an opinion.
again, I simply can't argue with that. But I can say, out of those many moons I mentioned watching NFL drafts, this wasn't the first run on DBs I have ever seen either. The Jimmie Wards of the NCAA go in the 3rd round ALL THE TIME

I do look forward to reviewing some of those wizard CBS mocks though next week, and see if I can't find anyone who "would have been taken" but for some reason simply was not.

Interesting also how those mocks contain a lot of variance, you know 200 different names who "will get drafted in the top 150". Not sure how that works mathematically....

There is one Jimmie Ward, that you're trying to lump him in with some guys from "many moons" ago tells me that you haven't really watched the guy play, you're just making a false assumption based on the notion of some small school guy you saw eons ago so now you think that the comparison makes sense.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 8, 2014 at 11:18 PM ]
Solid pick. I'm guessing for some this may qualify as a letdown with all the consideration being given by television "experts" about the 49ers moving up for a WR, but teams need players like Ward.

Teams like the Raiders and Cowboys seem to want to make the sexy pick all the time. Well, last I checked they both suck ass.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on May 8, 2014 at 11:18 PM ]

Originally posted by NickSh49:
The fact that you said "many moons" lets me know you're talking generally and therefore should probably be ignored.

good luck with that philosophy, hopefully it helps you better than your understanding of the meaning of the word "ignore"

Yea, years of experience seeing what caliber of players you can generally find in each round...definitely, totally ignore that
I think the 49ers like his versatility. He will have a chance to win the nickel corner job in camp, and can either be the future at SS when Bethea is done, or a starting CB if Culliver busts.

Ran a 4.47 forty yard dash with a bad foot, so he could be even faster when 100%.

All things considered, its a pretty solid pick for staying at 30. We will likely move up into the early 2nd for a WR.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
3) Ward was the last player on the 49ers' board with a first-round grade. The rest of the league had taken all the team's potential first rounders.

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2014/05/08/why-the-49ers-picked-another-safety-with-jimmy-ward/

This statement is not attributed to any particular person; it can not be taken at face value.
Originally posted by buck:
This statement is not attributed to any particular person; it can not be taken at face value.

It's attributed to Kevin Lynch. Whether or not you think he's a credible reporter is on you.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on May 8, 2014 at 11:31 PM ]
  • cools
  • Veteran
J.Ward will play CB/NB for us, and someday may move to safety, His style of play and skill set is much more similar to a CB then a safety.
I find it odd that so many webzoners dont know about this guy

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/178222-cooleys-one-only-mock/
[ Edited by cools on May 8, 2014 at 11:35 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone