There are 259 users in the forums

Brown's contract laughable

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
He is a good CB.

BUT not worth what he was asking.

AND he needs to Man-UP! Stop blaming others for what you are responsible for.

It isn't like screw ups by agents are new, ask Dummerville and Billy Joel. It happens in every field.

In the end, you are responsible for your own life.

Good luck Mr. Brown and when we meet again - we will show you what you missed.

This I agree with. He is a good CB but the 49ers know that a lot of what he did was helped by a strong front seven. His career in Oakland will be totally different from what he did here. I agree with all those who say that.
Originally posted by English:
$10million is slapping someone in the face?

And the missed practice. Guy needs to grow up and take responsibility.

I don't know why people seem so fazed by this. First, he didn't miss practice. He chose to do voluntary off-season workouts at a different location. If had realized part of his contracts was doing those workouts at the team facility with team trainers, he would have done so. But chose to workout with trainers at facilities he had used in the past.

And he probably did make the best business decsion for himself. He's not that young, will only get one more big contract, and we gave him a fair contract, but nothing special. He could easily earn something better with a solid year. And between missing out on the 2 mil last year and the likely structuring of a three year deal, he is probably making the most he can in the short run with a guaranteed $3.5 this year, and a new contract next year that will have a new signing bonus, and if he plays well, could easily be longer and more than what we gave him.

If the contact we offered had say, a $1 mil signing bonus, and base pay of say, 2, 2.5, 4.5, or something like that, which isn't improbable, it may have felt like a slap in the face because he didn't really make up for the missing $2 mil, and it was basically a 2 year deal worth 5.5, maybe 6 if the second year is 3. And I'm sure he thinks he can do better than that. He'd have to have a pretty rough year to not be able to sign a contract for at least 2-3 mil next year, so it's a good bet.

Good luck to him. We obvoiusly had a very specific budget for that contract, and he thinks he can do better. I wouldn't call us cheap or unfair, but we didn't make a particularly strong effort to keep him either. More power to him trying to maximize his earning potential while he can.

I don't think either side did anything wrong here. He didn't refuse an offer that should have made him not look elsewhere, nor did we particularly low ball him. But the sides were off by enough that the deal didn't work for either side. It happens.
Brown is an idiot for going to Oakland. He's kidding himself if he thinks playing for Oakland is going to boost his stock. First off, he'll be playing with a much less talented front 7. That alone will get him exposed. Playing in the pass happy AFL is great if you're a ballhawking/shut down corner. Unfortunately Brown is neither. To top it all off he's going to a team who is dead last in their division for a reason.

I can't wait to see Manning eat him alive... TWICE a year, lol. The way the Chargers and Chiefs were playing last year does not bode well for Brown either.

I had respect for Brown but he should have never opened his mouth. That is the real slap in the face. The fact that this FO gave him a bonus to help make up for HIS own mistake deserves praise, not public bad mouthing.

I don't know why the contract we offered was such a hit to his ego. Even Oakland, who are having a hard time trying to spend all their money and are desperate to fill positions, barely offered him more than we did. That is the real slap in the face.
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
He has obviously forgotten the NFC championship against the Falcons. He got man handled my Julio.
Originally posted by TexasNiner:

I don't know why people seem so fazed by this. First, he didn't miss practice. He chose to do voluntary off-season workouts at a different location. If had realized part of his contracts was doing those workouts at the team facility with team trainers, he would have done so. But chose to workout with trainers at facilities he had used in the past.

And he probably did make the best business decsion for himself. He's not that young, will only get one more big contract, and we gave him a fair contract, but nothing special. He could easily earn something better with a solid year. And between missing out on the 2 mil last year and the likely structuring of a three year deal, he is probably making the most he can in the short run with a guaranteed $3.5 this year, and a new contract next year that will have a new signing bonus, and if he plays well, could easily be longer and more than what we gave him.

If the contact we offered had say, a $1 mil signing bonus, and base pay of say, 2, 2.5, 4.5, or something like that, which isn't improbable, it may have felt like a slap in the face because he didn't really make up for the missing $2 mil, and it was basically a 2 year deal worth 5.5, maybe 6 if the second year is 3. And I'm sure he thinks he can do better than that. He'd have to have a pretty rough year to not be able to sign a contract for at least 2-3 mil next year, so it's a good bet.

Good luck to him. We obvoiusly had a very specific budget for that contract, and he thinks he can do better. I wouldn't call us cheap or unfair, but we didn't make a particularly strong effort to keep him either. More power to him trying to maximize his earning potential while he can.

I don't think either side did anything wrong here. He didn't refuse an offer that should have made him not look elsewhere, nor did we particularly low ball him. But the sides were off by enough that the deal didn't work for either side. It happens.

So sounding off about an offer of $10million being a slap in the face and disrespectful is ok with you then.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MarkD:
He has obviously forgotten the NFC championship against the Falcons. He got man handled my Julio.

Didn't he let an old ass Steve Smith burn him for a TD? ANd Smith had a bad knee.
he mad and nobody cares
Fool is going to get roasted and toasted is Oakland. He'll be playing for the vet minimum after next season.
  • bret
  • Veteran
I think theduke85 and TexasNiner are right on it: he was almost certainly give a small, or maybe even NO, roster bonus, plus a lot of money backloaded into the final year. I'm disappointed he's not coming back, but I can understanding the team not wanting to commit money too far into the future on him, and I also understand, he was probably disappointed on how the weak the market was for him; I'm sure his agent was telling him "go out and have a big year and you'll get that last big check next year". Not likely!
Originally posted by bret:
I think theduke85 and TexasNiner are right on it: he was almost certainly give a small, or maybe even NO, roster bonus, plus a lot of money backloaded into the final year. I'm disappointed he's not coming back, but I can understanding the team not wanting to commit money too far into the future on him, and I also understand, he was probably disappointed on how the weak the market was for him; I'm sure his agent was telling him "go out and have a big year and you'll get that last big check next year". Not likely!
Or his agent could ha e told him to take the Brock deal mid season and build up goodwill in the Niners organization and retire as one and capitalize on that afterwards. Maybe a position with the team

Originally posted by Jakemall:
I thought Brown was good CB for us and does deserve a better contract. His agent screwed up and Brown fired him for it.I think he had bigger expectations of the 9ers making him whole on that as a gesture of goodwill than they did.

NIners seem to think that he's a product of the system based upon their offer. He'll get a chance this year on a 1 year contract to prove that it isn't true. If he does, he'll get paid, if he doesn't, he'll be getting a contract similar to what that slap in the face was.

IDK, a lot of guys leave their zone teams and goto Raiders and get killed in man to man coverage. At Browns height and age, I dont see him being a top man to man guy. I hope he is right. because I liked Brown, but idt he is.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
I think he actually made a good decision by signing a 1 year prove it deal. He was a little banged up last year, and didn't put a lot on the stat sheet.

The cap is going to be much higher next year, and if he bounces back, he's going to get a lucrative offer from a team.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I always chuckle when athletes echo the same old tired cliches. "Their offer was a slap in the face, but it's nothing personal". Really...usually when someone gets slapped in the face, it's personal. lol.

Anyways, if we disrespected him I guess that means 31 other teams did as well. He didn't get the multi-year deal he wanted from anybody, Raiders included.

And LOL to how Mike "spin-master" Florio is spinning his web of lies this time:

"Brown exercised admirable restraint, given that the 49ers failed to tell Brown last year that he was blowing $2 million in base salary by not participating in the offseason workout program. (The team said it didn't know Brown was in danger of losing the money, but few in league circles believe that.)"

,,,,what? Florio please remove the seacawk from your ass, and learn how to become a proper journalist. His anti-49er bias is ridiculous and unprofessional.

Yeah I'm kind of in a pissy mood today.

This, douchebags gonna douchebags. Its not the 49ers responsibility to let Brown or his agent know that they should fully read the contract that they had signed.

Yup. It his own fault for skimping out on hiring a better agent.

Saved him 10% of 2 million dollars...oh, wait...
Originally posted by TexasNiner:

So sounding off about an offer of $10million being a slap in the face and disrespectful is ok with you then.

Well, likely there was some hard feelings about the 2M that didn't materialize. As a team it didn't help us to see him walk. But I don't feel like he deserves to be in the doghouse either. He was solid for five years. # 13 corner in the league in 2012. That's good performance for what $500K? We may have been telling him we'll make it up we'll make it up, then we gave him the contract offer, and we didn't make it up. Who really knows.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Well, likely there was some hard feelings about the 2M that didn't materialize. As a team it didn't help us to see him walk. But I don't feel like he deserves to be in the doghouse either. He was solid for five years. # 13 corner in the league in 2012. That's good performance for what $500K? We may have been telling him we'll make it up we'll make it up, then we gave him the contract offer, and we didn't make it up. Who really knows.

But his agent should have made it up because it was his incompetent agent that screwed him. We fulfilled our part of the deal contractually whereas T Brown was the one that failed to participate with his team!! I don't blame him for working on his own to set himself up for a big contract year because he deserves to get every penny he can earn but the team also deserves to spend every penny wisely towards their own best interests!! Thats just business!
Share 49ersWebzone