LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 144 users in the forums

Would Steve Smith be a good fit for us? I think so.

Shop 49ers game tickets
Steve Smith just tweeted his goodbyes to the fans in Carolina (minus Rick Flair) and says he can still play. Based on his numbers I think he would be a good fit as a quick slot receiver with veteran leadership. Our "attitude meter" would off the charts with both him and Boldin on the same team. We could get him fairly cheap.

Thoughts?
I don't hate the idea.
we gotta start getting ready for the future at wr. clogging the position up with veterans hinders any development especially on a team like ours that offers very few 3 wr sets with actually 3 wr's out there. i'd pass for that simple reason we have our veteran needs filled there already.
How cheap?
Yes, because him and Boldin on the field at the same time = badass. Not even Seattle jacked up on PEDs would mess with them.
There's a bunch of "if's" involved here, and among others are...

if he has anything left in the tank,
if he will accept the veteran minimum,

Others can expand upon that and add greater insight.
Steve Smith would bring super excitement!
Originally posted by crabman82:
we gotta start getting ready for the future at wr. clogging the position up with veterans hinders any development especially on a team like ours that offers very few 3 wr sets with actually 3 wr's out there. i'd pass for that simple reason we have our veteran needs filled there already.

i thought the 49ers did not do 3 wr sets is because we only had two good wr's?
  • Disp
  • Veteran

I agree. We have 2 veteran WR's plus VD and need to set the team up for the future. We don't pass the ball enough to add another veteran WR imo, especially with Patton/draft pick as the #3.
Can't see it. I think he will want to see some $$$. How much has he got left I wonder? I think I would prefer to gamble on a 2nd round pick.

Originally posted by stunder49:

i thought the 49ers did not do 3 wr sets is because we only had two good wr's?

it happens, but as i said in my 1st post not very often. patton was getting some looks from the arizona season finale and beyond. my main issue is if we always clog up the wr spot with vets were always going to be in the boat of asking if (insert random young wr) can play and has a future. this is what seattle does well, they throw young guys out there and are prepared to live with the results. a guy like doug baldwin or even jermaine kearse likely doesnt show promise here because we have this veteran surplus at the wr position. i'm fine with boldin and crabs but i think thats where it has got to stop./
too much money, we dont really use 3 wrs.
Nah!
Maybe a one year deal.
I wouldn't mind the deal, but as others have said we need to get young at WR and hopefully we can break our streak of worthless WRs in the draft this year. I'd rather spend the money on a decent FA CB so we can be more flexible with going WR or CB early in the draft.
Share 49ersWebzone