LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 291 users in the forums

NFL officiating is a joke

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Q&A with Todd Haley:

Q: Can an NFL game be fixed?
A: Yeah, probably. Individual refs probably get bought off from time to time. I'm sure some wealthy person has been able to influence a game to their financial advantage by finding a ref that could be bought.

If 600 some odd European football games can be fixed, why can't 16 games be fixed a few weekends a year?
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:
You should post footage of J Smith getting ejected for breathing on a ref.

You asked for it...

I was actually at this game, about 20 rows off the field, and had no idea what was going on (the jumbotron in SD is terrible).

That was a joke.
Originally posted by mkmasn:
Q&A with Todd Haley:

A: Yeah, probably. Individual refs probably get bought off from time to time. I'm sure some wealthy person has been able to influence a game to their financial advantage by finding a ref that could be bought.

If 600 some odd European football games can be fixed, why can't 16 games be fixed a few weekends a year?

I think games be influenced, though not necessarily fixed unless the whole crew is on it. In fact, I'm sure it doesn't happen quite a bit. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that a few refs received gifts and/or vacations sponsored by Microsoft.

It's the only thing in my mind that explains the preferential treatment the Seahawks receive.
Originally posted by baltien:
I think games be influenced, though not necessarily fixed unless the whole crew is on it. In fact, I'm sure it doesn't happen quite a bit. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that a few refs received gifts and/or vacations sponsored by Microsoft.

It's the only thing in my mind that explains the preferential treatment the Seahawks receive.

I can't help but agree, even though it makes me sick. Today's game was a good example. They missed calls on both sides, but I couldn't believe how many holding penalties weren't called against Seahawks offensive linemen, and I won't get into their secondary because it's just a fact that they hold and interfere on practically every down.

Our defense may not be as "good" as theirs, but at least we don't have to cheat to be good.
Originally posted by baltien:
Q&A with Todd Haley:

All you need is the crew chief in your pocket. He has final say on all rulings and can overrule other officials.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Adam Hoge ‏@AdamHoge

Early word from a league source: Referee Jeff Triplette won't get a playoff assignment, but not likely to lose his job either.
For anyone who thinks the NFL would never do this because it's a billion dollar business, or whatever else along those lines, you're looking at it the wrong way.

The NFL is a billion dollar business. BUSINESS. That means it operates to make money. That means if the NFL can create controversy by having a Harbowl, that's exactly what it's going to do.

And it's legal, too. The NFL is classified as SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT. Just the the WWE.

Do you honestly think 2 MAJOR power outages during 49er games was just coincidence?
For anyone who thinks the NFL would never do this because it's a billion dollar business, or whatever else along those lines, you're looking at it the wrong way.

The NFL is a billion dollar business. BUSINESS. That means it operates to make money. That means if the NFL can create controversy by having a Harbowl, that's exactly what it's going to do.

And it's legal, too. The NFL is classified as SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT. Just the the WWE.

Do you honestly think 2 MAJOR power outages during 49er games was just coincidence?

The NFL is not the WWE.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

The NFL is not the WWE.

Point being s**ts rigged
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
The NFL is not the WWE.

No, but the US government treats them the same, which is the point.

If the league was fixing games to get matches they prefer (aka, games that make more money), they have anti-trust protection from the US government and since they're classified as entertainment, they can get away with it.

Sure hope the Owners vote to change the rules so that Coaches can challenge certain types of Penalty calls/non-calls. The Refs sure had another bad week and it influenced the outcome of last nights game that may result in a team not making the playoffs. The non-call of that armbar interference in the endzone was flagrant.
Glad Gruden made such a show of the terrible call last night.
Every game is getting worse
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
Anyone who thinks these games aren't manipulated by the NFL are only kidding themselves. Selective enforcement depending on the team and the time of the game. In the Super Bowl Baltimore the last 2 minutes had a helmet to the head,illegal contact/interference and 8 men held on a punt and not one flag was thrown. We're only in September and I can already tell you it will be Denver and Seattle in the Super Bowl because it's what the NFL wants. It will be built up as offense vs defense.

what do you think now?
There is no doubt that the Refs can influence the game. The NFL is one of the most heavily bet sports in the world. If gamblers believe the game is rigged, the game will lose tons of money. It's why instance replay is so important.
Share 49ersWebzone