LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 150 users in the forums

Michael Crabtree Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
I feel like I dont see him on the field too much. If him and Kaep can even have 70% of the connection they had in 2012, he would still be doing good. He's been a ghost this season.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Greg Roman rarely designs gameplans around Crabtree from some strange reason. When he has, we've been explosive on offense. Check the Cardinals game in 2011, @ Patriots 2012. You watch teams like Detroit, Dallas, even Baltimore...they understand the need to work their receivers into their gameplan. Over here, Roman just lines up whoever he has and draws up basic, high school route combinations. Roman has the ability to make a WR focused gameplan (Anquan Boldin vs. Green Bay last year Week 1) but he just hasn't for some strange reason.
Originally posted by SaksV:
Greg Roman rarely designs gameplans around Crabtree from some strange reason. When he has, we've been explosive on offense. Check the Cardinals game in 2011, @ Patriots 2012. You watch teams like Detroit, Dallas, even Baltimore...they understand the need to work their receivers into their gameplan. Over here, Roman just lines up whoever he has and draws up basic, high school route combinations. Roman has the ability to make a WR focused gameplan (Anquan Boldin vs. Green Bay last year Week 1) but he just hasn't for some strange reason.

I'm not an Xs and Os guy, but it is frustrating to see other teams design a play that gets their wr WIDE OPEN. KC had a couple of plays today, where guys where standing by their lonesome. It seems like our routes are always covered and its totally up to the WR to make a great move or muscle into position. Even when Kap had a lot of time in the pocket, it took forever to find someone open.
Originally posted by sacniner:
He'll have a breakout game soon. Probably against the Rams. He isn't' being "phased" out. Maybe teams are paying more attention to him because they know him and Kap have or had a good relationship in the past.

Nice to have a plethora of good weapons for a change.

It reminds me of Green Bay a few years back when Aaron Rodgers seemingly had 5 to 7 guys he was completing passes to weekly. Considering we don't throw the ball as much, but we're still spreading it around, that leaves less passes to go around. So I can reasonably see most weeks guys only getting 1-3 passes. If we threw the ball more, those numbers would go up, but it's hard to have a dominant game with so few opportunities. His time is coming for a breakout game.
Crabtree beat his man clean in the red zone. Kap saw him but the defender grabbed him and nearly pulled him down. Have no idea how the ref didn't throw a flag there.
A lot of times we look for him on a slant and Kap throws it into tight coverage, those have been a couple near pick 6's. On a lot of little hook curl routes though Crabs isn't getting the separation, i dunno if he doesn't have his quickness to stutter them at the top of the route before turning. Or if the DB's just do not respect any speed by Crabs and know our route tendencies with him( probably bit of both). Save for a few big games i haven't seen him be a YAC machine, usually he can fight and break a tackle or two and gain 2-5 extra yards, but i never expect to see him flashing down the field, just never remember it happening. That was something coming out ppl thought he would do well. The pros are a lot different.

I just don't think hes that great of a WR, for the price he may want there may be better options. Mostly if we let him walk it may just force Baalkes hand to draft a WR early and get it right this time, a more physical specimen, compared to AJJ. Those first two picks in 2012 we were looking for speedsters in LMJ and AJJ, forgot you just need good football players. Speedsters like Desean and Harvin don't come around much.
What would u guys think about letting crab walk and going hard after dez? He's a stud
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Crab was wide open a few times. Couple of times Kap missed him and couple of times OL didn't block anyone and Kap didn't have enough time.

Crab will be fine.
Originally posted by Broseph6:
What would u guys think about letting crab walk and going hard after dez? He's a stud

Dez will more than likely get the franchise tag.
Ive stood by crab all offseasoln. I wanted him extended because he could bring the water(producion) to keep the position afloat. At 9mil plus his skllset is simply not worth it. Just keep boldin, lloyd, and stevie together for the next 2 while you hit the draft for burners and big targets. I mean basically everyone was analyzing the cap under the idea we had to resign crab and iupati but now we can extend cully n cox then next year paraag can put together those ninja extensions like boone got based on potential for reid, dial, and tank or lemon. Maybe get Aldon out of the way. My point being crab has been replaced. Iupati can be replaced by another big bodied linemen like martin or thomas. Im excited about having the money to lockup the young nucleus of the future

Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Dez will more than likely get the franchise tag.

I love the idea. Hes amuch better runner after the catch. Complete route tree and heplays with more passion crab could even dream of. Him and boldin ftw
Originally posted by eonblue:
I love the idea. Hes amuch better runner after the catch. Complete route tree and heplays with more passion crab could even dream of. Him and boldin ftw

As great as Dez Bryant is, Baalke would be insane to give up 2 first round picks and 14 million a season (which he'll get) to get him. The only player to whom I'd even give the tiniest bit of consideration to do that would be Suh; and even then I'd be very hesitant because Suh is probably better Suhted to play in a 4-3.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Oct 5, 2014 at 11:34 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
As great as Dez Bryant is, Baalke would be insane to give up 2 first round picks and 14 million a season (which he'll get) to get him. The only player to whom I'd even give the tiniest bit of consideration to do that would be Suh; and even then I'd be very hesitant because Suh is probably better Suhted to play in a 4-3.
abso agree. We roll with stevie, boldin, and resign llyod for 2.7 over 2yrs. Then draft stefon diggs and algholor.
You guys are nuts. Boldin only has 1 maybe 2 more years after this season and he's done! Lloyd might call it quits again after this season. Who knows?? You build the team (WR corps) around Crab and Stevie Johnson, keep developing Ellington and Patton, and draft some guys who will help in 3 or 4 years. Crab is taking so much attention from the defenses best cover corner, and safety at times, it's just a good thing our 3rd and 4th receivers can play BIG time when they need to come through.
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
You guys are nuts. Boldin only has 1 maybe 2 more years after this season and he's done! Lloyd might call it quits again after this season. Who knows?? You build the team (WR corps) around Crab and Stevie Johnson, keep developing Ellington and Patton, and draft some guys who will help in 3 or 4 years. Crab is taking so much attention from the defenses best cover corner, and safety at times, it's just a good thing our 3rd and 4th receivers can play BIG time when they need to come through.
if crab want to take an incentive heavy deal then fine but im not paying him more then a guy like stevie for doing the exact same thing. Period. I roll with stevie and boldin otherwise and use tht 10mil i was going to spend on a 3rd poss rec to extend 3-4 important pieces of the roster. Crab is not the guy. I means its crazy. 3 poss recievers when you have a qb with a rocket arm. He needs burners and guy that fight in the air. But sure lets spend 10mil for slants and bubble screens. Money well spent. f**k we shouldve just picked up desean.
Share 49ersWebzone