LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 125 users in the forums

The Derek Carrier Haircut thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Curious about practice-squad tight end Derek Carrier, who played at Division III Beloit College. Here's what scouting Godfather Gil Brandt wrote about Carrier prior to last year's draft. Thanks to reader Franco Mazzoli (I'm huge in Italy) for passing it along.

He was one of the five-non Wisconsin players who worked out. He probably got himself drafted Wednesday. Everyone will be headed to Beloit to study his game tape. He ran 4.50 and 4.50 in the 40, had a 38-inch vertical, 10-2 broad jump, 4.09 short shuttle, 6.70 cone drill (now, that's a fantastic cone drill), and did 15 strength lifts. Scouts think that he would be converted into a TE.

Seems like the team is hedging their bets on a SAK player with both Harper and Carrier. It's a bummer we lost Gray, but the guys they replaced him with arent slouches either.

[ Edited by English on Mar 9, 2015 at 10:22 AM ]
dont get to close to him other niners practice squad members--hes a carrier
The hair cut. The hair cut. The hair cut. What is it? An opposite mohawk? The most interesting and provocative hair cut I've seen in a long time. Oh, and 4.51 is not bad for a 6'4", 240 lb. guy.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
The hair cut. The hair cut. The hair cut. What is it? An opposite mohawk? The most interesting and provocative hair cut I've seen in a long time. Oh, and 4.51 is not bad for a 6'4", 240 lb. guy.

Hmm we might just take him off your practice squad for you since we only have two tight ends on our roster...
The hair cut. That would be sad to lose something like that to the Seahawks.

Agreed, also his highlights are pretty impressive which is obviously what you want out of a prospect playing at the division 2 level but still... you can see his attitude on the field which is nice cause he isnt afraid to get physical. His hands and speed really stood out.

Its technically still the offseason so we can get amped up about someone who may never make the roster right ?
Can he play LT? LOL
Originally posted by NCommand:
Can he play LT? LOL

Nah but we can move him to safety
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
I like his tape actually. I think he can play WR even. He is a basketball player as well, so by right he should have good hands.

isnt that the terry bradshaw?

Originally posted by NinerFan408:

isnt that the terry bradshaw?

looks like an old friar, like they used to use in the san diego padres logo
It's kind of a lazy Saturday, so why not start a thread on the practice squad TE we just signed to the active roster?

Derek Carrier is, apparently, a college WR from DIII Beloit College that was signed undrafted by the Raiders as a WR, cut, signed to the Eagles PS as a TE and has since been signed to our PS as a TE.

Despite that uninspiring resume, he does seems to have superior physical gifts and college production (albeit DIII...) going in his favor.

From Barrows:
"He played receiver at Division III Beloit College in Wisconsin where he caught 75 passes for 1,250 yards and 12 touchdowns as a senior in 2011.... Carrier turned heads at his pro-day workout when he ran his 40-yard dash in less than 4.5 seconds, had a 40-inch vertical jump, a 10-foot, 2-inch broad jump and sped through the three-cone drill in 6.69 seconds. To put that three-cone time in perspective: Just one receiver at the combine that year had a better mark.... He is listed at 6-4, 241 pounds. Carrier said he's now closer to 250 pounds. The 49ers added him to the practice squad on Sept. 3." Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/11/49ers-to-promote-te-derek-carrier-vs-saints.html#storylink=cpy

Here are a few videos I found:

Obviously, it would be extremely silly to expect much from PS TE that played DIII college ball. But he does have good hands, and a great size/speed combo. So who knows, maybe he'll inexplicably work his way into Kaepernick's circle of trust the way Bruce Miller has...
Champio......aahh who am I kidding. Tank for Clowney.
He has a better shot at playing time if he steals an oline jersey
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Share 49ersWebzone