There are 234 users in the forums

Ted Ginn Making Plays with the Panthers

Shop 49ers game tickets
"Ginn is averaging 8.3 yards per punt return and 24.7 yards per kickoff return with the Panthers."

Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
"Ginn is averaging 8.3 yards per punt return and 24.7 yards per kickoff return with the Panthers."

Here's a good companion piece entitled, "Dixon (as in Anthony, our backup tight end!) willing to seize kick-returner role":

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2013/11/06/dixon-willing-to-seize-kick-returner-role/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+49ersHotRead+%2849ers+Hot+Read%29

Dixon willing to seize kick-returner role

POSTED BY CAM INMAN ON NOVEMBER 6TH, 2013 AT 9:13 AM

You're fast. You're a tough runner. You can catch footballs falling from the sky.

That's what 49ers coaches told Anthony Dixon while testing him out this past month as a primary kickoff returner.

Dixon indeed showed those traits while fielding the 49ers' only kickoff return after halftime of their 42-10 win against the Jacksonville Jaguars on Oct. 27.

"I just hit it," Dixon said of his 47-yard, third-quarter kick return.

Did he just win that job? We'll find out Sunday when the 49ers (6-2) return from their bye and host the Carolina Panthers (5-3).

Rule changes and touchback frequencies have made kickoff returns a seemingly lost art, but it's one Dixon is willing to attempt.

"I think more chances are coming, but we're trying to keep it secret," Dixon said.

As the 49ers' third-string running back, he's averaging 2.3 yards per carry (15 for 35 yards and two touchdowns).

Dixon said he wasn't counting on becoming a return man. But he's become one of the 49es' most versatile players, and his gung-ho mentality shines best on special teams.

When coaches asked if he'd be interested in trying returns – he never did in high school or college – Dixon replied: "Let's do it. I want the ball more."

Dixon also had a 30-yard kickoff return in the season opener. Others who've returned kickoffs this season: Kyle Williams (19.1-yard average, seven returns), Perrish Cox (27.3 avg., three returns), Kendall Hunter (14.5 avg., two returns), LaMichael James (29.0 avg., one return) and Quinton Patton (7.0 avg., one return).

Williams' struggles against the Jaguars could put his punt-return duties in question, with Cox or James logical replacements. Williams has a league-high 20 fair catches and a 5.1 average on 12 punt returns.

The recent returns of Mario Manningham, Aldon Smith, Tank Carradine and Michael Crabtree have Dixon excited.

"To get to full strength to be the big, bad 49ers — it makes you feel good," Dixon said.
Fu*k Teddy Bear Ginnosauraus! Hope Reid or Hitner lay him the fu*k out.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Same sh*t as I wrote on the Marlon Moore thread, the 9ers just don't know how to utilize their secondary receivers, be it because of Kap or the playcalls. In 2012, it was all Crab and this year it is all Anquan.

In 2012, Ted Ginn only played in 13 games, had 2 receptions out of 2 targets. How the heck can you perform when you are not given a chance ?

This is precisely why our passing game is so easy to shut down cos the targets are so unbelievably predictable.

Bottomline, is no excuse why another team is able to harness far better production from the same player. Once again, this points to the 9ers' ability or the lack of in selecting, developing and utilizing WRs. Nothing new.

Someone should start asking questions at some point though.
Originally posted by Rascal:
Same sh*t as I wrote on the Marlon Moore thread, the 9ers just don't know how to utilize their secondary receivers, be it because of Kap or the playcalls. In 2012, it was all Crab and this year it is all Anquan.

In 2012, Ted Ginn only played in 13 games, had 2 receptions out of 2 targets. How the heck can you perform when you are not given a chance ?

This is precisely why our passing game is so easy to shut down cos the targets are so unbelievably predictable.

Bottomline, is no excuse why another team is able to harness far better production from the same player. Once again, this points to the 9ers' ability or the lack of in selecting, developing and utilizing WRs. Nothing new.

Someone should start asking questions at some point though.

I agree with you on the inability to develop or utilize other receivers, but I don't know that it is all on the coaches. The reason I say that is because the niners are very unique over the past few years. First, they're not often playing from behind, so running the ball is the number one priority. When they get away from that is when things don't go well.

The other thing is the QBs playing for them. Alex Smith is as conservative as they come. He rarely completes the deep ball and he is not great at hitting his receivers on the outside. Because Vernon and Crabtree mostly work the middle of the field, Ginn wouldn't have as many routes in that area. We all saw that if our WR wasn't open in front of Alex, he was likely going to throw it away.

Kap, on the other hand, is a young QB that locks onto his favorite target. The good news is that he has two favorites this year and another two from last year are coming back into the mix. It will be interesting to see if he still has that chemistry with them and if it will show in targeting multiple receivers.

I certainly think the coaching staff could improve the passing attack, but I will also give credit when it is due. When they are in a pass or die situation they seem to draw up some pretty creative plays to get an unexpected receiver open.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
lol trying to make ginn relevant.
Originally posted by boast:
game of his life IMO. won't get 150 total rec yards in the entire reg season.

Guess you were wrong.

I wish we still had Ginn. It would be nice to have his return ability. Definitely would take him over Kyle Williams.
And yeah we definitely never used him like we could have. If you get him the ball in open space he is dangerous. Should have gave him more fly sweeps, quick screens, and deep bombs.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Originally posted by boast:
game of his life IMO. won't get 150 total rec yards in the entire reg season.

Guess you were wrong.

I wish we still had Ginn. It would be nice to have his return ability. Definitely would take him over Kyle Williams.
sure now you think that and that is easy. at the time it made no sense to keep him because he was a flop as a wide out(yes i realize its never the players fault,, it is always the coaches fault for not knowing how to use them),, he lost his kickoff job to james,, in regards to punts he would catch it and run five yards out of bounds(how that is the coaches fault is beyond me but thats my problem),,,, so at the time he brought nothing to the table as a wide out and did little as a return man. the team assumed kyle would fill his role. he did not, that happens and now we move forward. i know it makes some people feel better to play this game but I never "wish" we had x niners back. they are x niners for a reason . again f**k ginn, f**k his dad and that sums up what i feel about ted ginn jr.
Have people forgotten how many passes he dropped? If he suddenly stops doing that for another team then good luck to him but WTF took him so long?

Ted Ginn, lol
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Ted Ginn, lol

you know,, instead of doing my rambling rant on him earlier today,, all i had to do was to say this! that sums it up nicely, thank you 4life
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
lol trying to make ginn relevant.

Put it this way, Steve Smith is Panthers' No. 1 receiver at 387 yards in 8 games and Ted Ginn is only 20 yards behind, so I guess one could argue he is indeed relevant.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
I agree with you on the inability to develop or utilize other receivers, but I don't know that it is all on the coaches. The reason I say that is because the niners are very unique over the past few years. First, they're not often playing from behind, so running the ball is the number one priority. When they get away from that is when things don't go well.

The other thing is the QBs playing for them. Alex Smith is as conservative as they come. He rarely completes the deep ball and he is not great at hitting his receivers on the outside. Because Vernon and Crabtree mostly work the middle of the field, Ginn wouldn't have as many routes in that area. We all saw that if our WR wasn't open in front of Alex, he was likely going to throw it away.

Kap, on the other hand, is a young QB that locks onto his favorite target. The good news is that he has two favorites this year and another two from last year are coming back into the mix. It will be interesting to see if he still has that chemistry with them and if it will show in targeting multiple receivers.

I certainly think the coaching staff could improve the passing attack, but I will also give credit when it is due. When they are in a pass or die situation they seem to draw up some pretty creative plays to get an unexpected receiver open.

Well, looks like they need to do something about Kap too. Like you said, he only locks onto his favourite target which is exactly how teams scout him as a 1-read QB.
They will take one or two shots deep to Ginn on Sunday guaranteed, and I hope to god we don't let him get one on us. His role is to stretch the defense and so far he's done that for Carolina. He's not all world or anything and I wont dispute that he was worthless as a WR here but I miss him on special teams. I'd have to agree he is relevant. Having said that, he'll go right back to being irrelevant at least in the eyes of 49ers fans as soon as our WR come back healthy and someone once and for all steps up as returner on ST's.

Ginn is certainly better than Williams regardless of how you feel about him. That's not really even debatable. I think he's worth his salary and then some and I've never been a big Ginn fan.
Share 49ersWebzone